DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Suddenly in Slow Motion

Thanks. Same results though. Even uninstalled and reinstalled.

Next thing I'll try is taking the card to work tomorrow and trying it in a different computer.

I downloaded VLC a while ago....Does nothing but crash unfortunately. Went outside earlier this evening and flew a bit. Even the 2.7k lags a bit once I plugged the card into my computer. Something is definitely going on.
Are you using Antivirus software? If so do you have the option to disable it briefly to check playback?

No. It’s sporadic at best using the VLC thing. In the windows media player it always loads….just laggy and slow motion type stuff.

This all leads to the problem being software and hardware which can't handle 4K video. I found "Movies & TV" to have the least overhead and best to handle 4K videos on a slow machine. To make it easier, copy the files to your computer and run from there.
If you're into editing, load the video into your editing software and export with compression so there is less for the video software to manage.
I also load 4K videos, even when Windows Media and VLC won't play them, to YouTube. They then play fine from YouTube.

Well, I took the SD card into work and gave it to IT. They played it back on their computers, and everything played just fine. So, it seems that as everyone has suspected, the issue lies with my computer, and not the drone.

Not sure if I’m happy or not! It’s an excuse to buy a new computer….but it also means I’ve got to buy a new computer!!

Thanks to everyone for your help in running this issue down.

My computer doesn't do well with 4K or 1080p 60 fps, but I'm not ready to upgrade to a new system; doing so is a big technical pain.
Windows Movies & TV app will generally work. VLC is needed for subtitles. I edit videos anyway with ShotCut and my system handles 4K and 60fps for edit. I can export to 1080p for my own viewing and I can also export as full 4K uncompressed which I can't play right but the do upload fine to YouTube as 4K. With ShotCut I can also export to 4K compressed so they will play locally on my old equipment.

If the footage is recorded as 10bit (in either hlg or dlog), that can take considerably more processing power to decode on some systems versus the standard consumer 8bit file.

It's a fair bit more color data useful for video editing and color grading, but it's not easy on some embedded graphic chips or systems with 8gb or less of ram.

If you wish to edit with 10bit files you're going to want to primarily invest in a decent graphics card with dedicated video memory (preferably no less than 4gb dedicated non shared graphic memory... Or just get a MacBook air M1 :p)

Yes Sir, I believe so. Honestly though, I never noticed the settings until today. I've had the drone since March I beleive and have taken lots of videos before. It sat for a couple of months prior to last Saturday. I pulled it out, charged the batteries, and made sure the syuff was up to date. It was after coming home Saturday evening tat I noticed the issue.

Same SD card, same computer, everything is the same. I tested my Hero 10 tonight as well with 4k and it plays fine on the computer, again with the same SD card and computer.

Prior videos all play the correctly. Oddly enough, when I go into the cache files of the problematic videaos, the play fine on my iphone. It's only the computer that has an issue. However, again, the Hero 10 doesnt have an issue. I'll reboot the computer and go from there then.

Thanks for all the help. At least I can use it in 2.7k I don't really do anything important with the equipment thankfully. More of an annoyance than anything I guess.
Fivestar51, all the cache files are 1080P and I've never heard of this issue before so I got nothing for that part... :(

Now normally when a video cannot run on a computer you wont get Slow Motion but rather the video will stop and than render and play an Stop ,

If this is truly running at a smooth slow motion on the computer than you might not need a new computer.

Before you spend for your Next Xmas gift , Post the video as I am thinking if the GO PRO 4K run fine than it might be something else.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , and Watch Slow Motion video.

No. It’s sporadic at best using the VLC thing. In the windows media player it always loads….just laggy and slow motion type stuff.
One think we haven’t asked yet, which video codec are you using: h.264 or h.265?

An older computer will struggle with h.265 but may well handle h.264. Could the working video from the GoPro have been recorded as h.264?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have no idea what most of these things are when it comes to programs, files, processors, frame sizes, etc...

I really appreciate all the help, but the majority of these technical specs are lost on me. I have the computer abilities to turn it on, and basically turn it off. Aside from that, I'm clueless. I'd have to be taught these things; either from someone standing over my shoulder, or a good online/video format. Im really lost in all these specs.

I greatly appreciate the help though. It's all great information to move forward with. As I become more savy, its something I can come back on. In the meantime, my skill level dictates that I probably just need to upgrade to a newer, 4k able computer and go from there. I can tell you some of my current specs, and I know its not capable of 4k video. Anything past that, and I'm lost.

Thanks again though.

I have no idea what most of these things are when it comes to programs, files, processors, frame sizes, etc...

I really appreciate all the help, but the majority of these technical specs are lost on me. I have the computer abilities to turn it on, and basically turn it off. Aside from that, I'm clueless. I'd have to be taught these things; either from someone standing over my shoulder, or a good online/video format. Im really lost in all these specs.

I greatly appreciate the help though. It's all great information to move forward with. As I become more savy, its something I can come back on. In the meantime, my skill level dictates that I probably just need to upgrade to a newer, 4k able computer and go from there. I can tell you some of my current specs, and I know its not capable of 4k video. Anything past that, and I'm lost.

Thanks again though.
No worries, there’s lots of terminology just as in most technologies.

Basically h.264 and h.265 are technical standards that define how digital video is encoded during the record process snd decoded during playback - hence ‘codec’.

h.264 is an earlier standard that allows for different image frame sizes for standard and high definition video and levels of compression to reduce the size of the video file. It is a simple standard that requires little computer processing to record and playback and will work on computers from many years ago.

By contrast h.265 is far more recent and has the ability to create much smaller file sizes without apparent loss of detail in the video image. However it is far more complex to encode and decode and requires considerably more computer processing power to record and playback. h.265 was also designed to work more efficiently with higher video resolutions.

Both of these standards are user selectable in the DJI FLY and DJI Go apps under Video Settings.

If your DJI app is set to use h.265 when recording then switching to h.264 may allow smooth playback on your existing computer.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks so much for that tip.

So, my new RC Pro controller arrived today! Its raining all day here, but once I can get the stuff out and all set up, I'll look into what my current settings are.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have a new computer that is very fast, and has a lot of memory, and I have the same problem - until I put it on the hard drive. Remember that different USB ports transfer data at far different rates, too. I get minimal lag from my USB-C but the USB-A is unwatchable. If you are using a built-in card reader, it could be slow, too.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have a new computer that is very fast, and has a lot of memory, and I have the same problem - until I put it on the hard drive. Remember that different USB ports transfer data at far different rates, too. I get minimal lag from my USB-C but the USB-A is unwatchable. If you are using a built-in card reader, it could be slow, too.
What's the actual graphic card tho? You could have 64gb of system ram, but if you are only using onboard embedded graphics which usually does shared memory, it's going to struggle.

And also true about transfer rate if trying to play directly off the sd card with a subpar reader. (USB A should be just fine , if your system has usb-c the standard A ports are still at least 3.0)

What's the actual graphic card tho? You could have 64gb of system ram, but if you are only using onboard embedded graphics which usually does shared memory, it's going to struggle.

And also true about transfer rate if trying to play directly off the sd card with a subpar reader. (USB A should be just fine , if your system has usb-c the standard A ports are still at least 3.0)

Device name DESKTOP-KKK0JB0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G with Radeon Graphics 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB (47.4 GB usable)
Device ID 66E4974D-06C2-4A39-85EB-D669A2F02359
Product ID 00330-54226-32538-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Device name DESKTOP-KKK0JB0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G with Radeon Graphics 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB (47.4 GB usable)
Device ID 66E4974D-06C2-4A39-85EB-D669A2F02359
Product ID 00330-54226-32538-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Sounds like integrated graphic and so-so on a 4000 series , and that's an odd mismatched ram size unless you have 6 ram slots.

But you'll want a dedicated graphic card (4gb minimum dedicated video memory, preferably 8gb, like maybe an older Nvidia 2060 super 8gb) otherwise its going to be rather limited for things like video editing and such.

Also if your system drive is a standard platter sata drive, that's not going to help either and will be a bottle neck. will want a SSD (preferably nvme pci type) for system and for working media.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143