DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Videos choppy on my Android Samsung Galaxy A52 but not on my computer. Any help? (4k 60fps i think)

Soul234

Reactions
When i do transfer videos from my computer to my phone (via google photos or android quick share from my computer to my phone) the video always ends up being really choppy while its not on my computer...and on google photos from my computer.....any advice on how to fix this? It seems it does this for anything i do drone related when i transfer a video from my computer to my phone...any help?

Last edited:
quick share from my computer to my phone) the video always ends up being really choppy while its not on my computer...and on google photos from my computer.....any advice on how to fix this?
4K60 in processor-intensive H.265 is a hell of a lot to expect from a phone. Maybe the very top end ones could do it - mine certainly can't ! Answer here is probably to encode in H.264, which is MUCH less struggle for devices to cope with. And if that doesn't work - lower resolution - 4K is rather wasted on a phone for what you can see of it anyway ! This is why these things are best uploaded to youtube (where it all gets re-encoded again) and then can be served to all the devices and auto-steps down to whatever they can handle ! Unless there is a reason for wanting to have raw video on your phone I am missing - in which case please do enlighten me ! :)

4K60 in processor-intensive H.265 is a hell of a lot to expect from a phone. Maybe the very top end ones could do it - mine certainly can't ! Answer here is probably to encode in H.264, which is MUCH less struggle for devices to cope with. And if that doesn't work - lower resolution - 4K is rather wasted on a phone for what you can see of it anyway !
happens with H.264 as well idk what the hell is going on with my phone lol

Can it play back other 4K videos ? If so it may be a data rate thing. DJIs have a rewardingly high data rate, which is why they look so good, but it's also a factor in why it could struggle on lesser devices.

Reactions: Gagipeca
The A53 is an older model with a CPU/GPU that probably doesn't have enough horsepower to play back 4K with a high bit rate.

The A53 doesn't have a 4K display, those extra pixels are being wasted. If you want to show videos on your phone, you'll want to re-encode them down to Full HD (1920x1080) resolution.

Can it play back other 4K videos ? If so it may be a data rate thing. DJIs have a rewardingly high data rate, which is why they look so good, but it's also a factor in why it could struggle on lesser devices.
do you know of any i could try transferring to my phone that aren't too long and are like 60fps (to test if it has to do with fps) ( remember it has to be 4k )

The A53 is an older model with a CPU/GPU that probably doesn't have enough horsepower to play back 4K with a high bit rate.

The A53 doesn't have a 4K display, those extra pixels are being wasted. If you want to show videos on your phone, you'll want to re-encode them down to Full HD (1920x1080) resolution.
mine is the A52

funny....my phone shoots/saves videos in 4k

but at 30fps

It shoots 4K in the codec and bitrate that your phone is designed for....not for DJI cameras that are designed with advanced video features and capabilities that make them data hogs. make a lower resolution proxy with a lower bitrate on your computer and transfer that to your phone for viewing.

It shoots 4K in the codec and bitrate that your phone is designed for....not for DJI cameras that are designed with advanced video features and capabilities that make them data hogs. make a lower resolution proxy with a lower bitrate on your computer and transfer that to your phone for viewing.
I literally was typing this your comment came up....

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
how do i make a lower resolution proxy and bitrate (what bitrate should i put....what is bitrate)?

also one that preserves the frames per second would be nice

also is there any settings i could change on the drone that could make it more seamless between my computer and phone so i don't have to convert it everytime ?

Reducing the framerate/resolution, but then that's "lost".

Does the M4P make .LRF files? If so those are essentially proxies already, copy those to the phone instead after renaming to mp4.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
how do i make a lower resolution proxy and bitrate (what bitrate should i put....what is bitrate)?
You can use either a video editing app to rescale and re-encode or use ffmpeg. Ffmpeg is an open source utility that can scale and encode from the command line.

The following command will rescale down to 1080 and leave the audio as is

ffmpeg -i input4kvid.mp4 -vf scale=1920:1080 -c:a copy output1080vid.mp4

You can use either a video editing app to rescale and re-encode or use ffmpeg. Ffmpeg is an open source utility that can scale and encode from the command line.

The following command will rescale down to 1080 and leave the audio as is

ffmpeg -i input4kvid.mp4 -vf scale=1920:1080 -c:a copy output1080vid.mp4
is there anyway i could get away with just recording again in 1080 as opposed to doing this

what are LRF files and how do i access them
LRF files are in the same folder as the hi res mp4s appear, and have the same names, but LRF extensions. So we can just rename them whatever.mp4 (something different to the original) and copy them out as normal.

60fps is the problem, 4K30 h.265 have no problems. I've had this issue with my M4P and Google Pixel 7 and Lenovo tablet with Qualcomm processor. I've switched the mini to 4K30 and no issues since... Today I was preparing an old card for a new GoPro I bought on PrimeDays and I saw my videos on the old card from last years' vacation. Yep, choppy as hell, but I remember my GoPro was set on 4K60, cause when I snorkel I record video and later extract stills, next gopro I'll set to 4K30, only underwater 4K60 (Hero 6 also records h.265)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunadci