DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Views on YouTube and other social media

Decovision84

Reactions
Hi guys,

Happy new year and I hope everyone has been flying happy lately.

Does anyone have any clue how to get people to visit your YouTube channel? It's something I really struggle with. I have made some videos in the past that are not very good in my opinion because it was back when I was only starting out and had no clue about what I was doing and didn't have high end equipment and done of them have thousands of views which is great but.... I feel I have improved a lot, I have some of the latest technology and I don't receive any of very little traffic to my channels. I feel like I tag correctly and do as I have been shown but it is not working for me.

It can be so disheartening when you're actually proud of your work but it seems to go virtually unacknowledged by anyone. I wouldn't mind but I'm sure we all put a lot of time and effort into making these videos for people to witness and revisit their own memories of visiting these places and the only people I know see my videos are family and a few friends.

It is tiring and I'm almost fed up but I enjoy doing this and would love it pursue it as a career. Drones are the last remaining source of social media as it should be as every other form of camera is mainly used for selfies and vlogging from insecure people who are so self involved and yet that's what is always trending. You would never see a vlogger use a drone for his vlogging and if a drone takes a selfie it still includes landscape, there's no avoiding and that's why I love this tool.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or suggesting regarding YouTube and other sites please comment.

Stay safe in the air,
Dec

Giveways / Contests! People love the possibility of getting something for nothing. Its built into our DNA. Like my channel and subscribe and I will run a random number generator in 30 days and pick the winner of a stick of gum. Really good gum!

Click bait titles.

Drone cuts off finger. Then just take a video of a silicone finger that you toss upwards into the spinning props of a Mavic.

Drone flys over and catches naked woman.
Get a blow up doll , place in your backyard. Fly over with camera pointed down. Boom ! Done.

I have three YouTube channels with three different types of content and I have struggled with this same problem as well. A lot of it has to do with the content. All three of my channels have very specific content that not everyone would be interested in so my audience is very small. I also have not done a lot to try and promote it. Two of the channels I probably won't ever get a lot of traffic on because they were put together for specific purposes and driving a lot of traffic to them was not the purpose.

My personal channel however I want to develop into something more than what it is. I know the main thing is I need quality content and I need to be putting out content on a regular basis. This is has been my goal for this year and I hope by the end of this month I will have things moving good with regular weekly content. The other thing is you have to advertise in multiple places. This forum being one of them, but not the only one. There is a decent drone following on YouTube and I subscribe to several users that put out a lot of content and have huge followings. I also watch and participate in their YouTube Live feeds. That interaction with others during a live feed has gotten me some subscribers. Also if someone subscribes to my channel, I will in turn subscribe to theirs if they have content on their channel. I absolutely hate when someone begs for people to subscribe to their channel but then they watch content from yours and never subscribe. It is like clicking the like button on a post or video, it is so simple to do but no one does it even when they do like it.

As crazy as my post above sounds we live in a world where people want to see things that are sensational, over the top, forbidden, etc. Its that one video that catches the masses attention (viral) and leads to a large viewership.

There is no hard and fast formula for creating that video so one just has to try and shoot close to the target and hopefully get close. When Youtube viewer are asked "Why did you subscribe to the xyz channel they often indicate that is was after seeing one video that was popular"

My channel isn't even monetized. I have a few followers and I like to put my videos up on sites like this and others. I'm not trying to make a living as a blogger so i'm not looking for likes, views and subscribers. I would imagine that it would take a lot of work and a little luck to make a living at it. I think the comments so far are exactly what you need to do. Funny thing is that im kind of insulted by the "click bait" titles with the fake pics. You know that whats in the pic isnt in the actual video and they just want you to view the whole thing hoping its in there.

You are entirely correct ! Clickbait is a way to try and trick the system using the viewers themselves and unfortunately even though it is somewhat deceptive its the way the "game" is played and to win or even compete for that matter one has to play smarter.

Just take a look at whats "trending" on Youtube at any point and some of it makes one scratch thier heads and think "This is pure nonsense, twaddle, claptrap, balderdash, gibberish, rubbish, mumbo jumbo "

Clickbait titles without that promised content within probably works very well for getting views. However, I don't know that it's a strategy that will result in a lot of new subscribers.

The content that is proposed in the title or thumbnail used to represent the video can provide what it claims , but not in the way that the viewer imagines it will. Like the crazy examples I cited.
Most people may be pissed off that they have been partially duped , but then just driving lots of traffic / views results in a certain percentage of the viewers subscribing.

Whats that old saying "All publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right." "The best publicity is well-planned and thought-out." "All publicity is good if it is intelligent." "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Essentially you end up with the "chaff" of the viewership.

you can submit your content to one of the several media companies that promote content on youtube. for a fee, get you into their network and youll be having likes and comments in no time.

I find the model for creative content is instagram. building an audience comes when your content is solid and creative, most popular channels on youtube are not organic, they are manufactured by media companies with "built in" audiences

random thoughts by uav :)

Hi guys,

Happy new year and I hope everyone has been flying happy lately.

Does anyone have any clue how to get people to visit your YouTube channel? It's something I really struggle with. I have made some videos in the past that are not very good in my opinion because it was back when I was only starting out and had no clue about what I was doing and didn't have high end equipment and done of them have thousands of views which is great but.... I feel I have improved a lot, I have some of the latest technology and I don't receive any of very little traffic to my channels. I feel like I tag correctly and do as I have been shown but it is not working for me.

It can be so disheartening when you're actually proud of your work but it seems to go virtually unacknowledged by anyone. I wouldn't mind but I'm sure we all put a lot of time and effort into making these videos for people to witness and revisit their own memories of visiting these places and the only people I know see my videos are family and a few friends.

It is tiring and I'm almost fed up but I enjoy doing this and would love it pursue it as a career. Drones are the last remaining source of social media as it should be as every other form of camera is mainly used for selfies and vlogging from insecure people who are so self involved and yet that's what is always trending. You would never see a vlogger use a drone for his vlogging and if a drone takes a selfie it still includes landscape, there's no avoiding and that's why I love this tool.

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or suggesting regarding YouTube and other sites please comment.

Stay safe in the air,
Dec
Great footage and editing! Keep up the good work!

It can be so disheartening when you're actually proud of your work but it seems to go virtually unacknowledged by anyone...

Unfortunately this has been the lament of many artists going back 17,000 years ago when some guy first drew a picture inside Lascaux cave in France. Wife and relatives probably said it looks nice but we cannot eat this drawing and it will not pay our bills so will you please go get some meat, water, and firewood. Now, however, the experts say this is one of the most significant achievements of any artist in human history. So, what I am saying is if you enjoy creating videos with your drone then GO FOR IT! Put in some more time and effort and see where it takes you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain just by trying. BTW, your video is great! Very well done and that is 1,000 watt smile at 1:20! Good luck!

1547613094782.png

Last edited:
Hey Decovision84,

Firstly just wanted to say I checked out the video and its awesome! I am in the same position with my channel - over the last year I have been researching a lot of different techniques and I have found a channel called Video Influencers to be super helpful and give amazing tips. There is so many things, I'm still working on what will work but - one thing I have found to really help which a lot of big influencers say, is to find people on your Niche in YouTube, visit their videos and engage with them, to build a community. Not like spammy sub for sub comments, but proper online relationships with people, it's very time consuming but, I honestly don't think my channel would have gotten to over 1k subs if it hadn't been for that - it's the first initial boost that can bring in some regular commenters and, like someone said above, keep posting as you never know when that 1 video will take off.

I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion btw, but on visiting your channel the first thing that the viewer sees is a party playlist of well known artists - I would suggest taking that off the front page of your channel and perhaps making playlists of certain drone vids, or maybe your favourite drone vids, most popular, maybe a playlist of dubai or a playlist of iceland for example -, because 1 thing I learnt from Video Influencers is, when someone clicks onto a youtube channel, you have like 5 seconds to really grab them.

Keep up the great work and I have subbed :) Looking forward to seeing your channel grow :)

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Unfortunately this has been the lament of many artists going back 17,000 years ago when some guy first drew a picture inside Lascaux cave in France. Wife and relatives probably said it looks nice but we cannot eat this drawing and it will not pay our bills so will you please go get some meat, water, and firewood. Now, however, the experts say this is one of the most significant achievements of any artist in human history. So, what I am saying is if you enjoy creating videos with your drone then GO FOR IT! Put in some more time and effort and see where it takes you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain just by trying. BTW, your video is great! Very well done and that is 1,000 watt smile at 1:20! Good luck!

View attachment 59075
HI Chip,
I like your take on this, it all makes perfect sense and I can relate, so what you mean to say is I need to go buy some meat :) only joking. Thank you for your kind words regarding the video, I've passed on your comment about that smile to my Fiancé :)

Hey Decovision84,

Firstly just wanted to say I checked out the video and its awesome! I am in the same position with my channel - over the last year I have been researching a lot of different techniques and I have found a channel called Video Influencers to be super helpful and give amazing tips. There is so many things, I'm still working on what will work but - one thing I have found to really help which a lot of big influencers say, is to find people on your Niche in YouTube, visit their videos and engage with them, to build a community. Not like spammy sub for sub comments, but proper online relationships with people, it's very time consuming but, I honestly don't think my channel would have gotten to over 1k subs if it hadn't been for that - it's the first initial boost that can bring in some regular commenters and, like someone said above, keep posting as you never know when that 1 video will take off.

I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion btw, but on visiting your channel the first thing that the viewer sees is a party playlist of well known artists - I would suggest taking that off the front page of your channel and perhaps making playlists of certain drone vids, or maybe your favourite drone vids, most popular, maybe a playlist of dubai or a playlist of iceland for example -, because 1 thing I learnt from Video Influencers is, when someone clicks onto a youtube channel, you have like 5 seconds to really grab them.

Keep up the great work and I have subbed :) Looking forward to seeing your channel grow :)

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all your comments lately, you have been a massive help to me. I have taken a lot of what you said on board with cleaning up my youtube channel, I didn't even know I could amend that and it had been bugging me for so long. I got rid of all of the waste and hopefully the feature I have on my home screen will grab viewers within 5 seconds :) but I will always keep updating it going forward so thanks for that.

I am slowly learning to be more interactive with communities online but it's so hard to get the time when you're always doing something else like your actual day job or spending quality time with your partner,
I don't have the luxury of having a partner who is into photography as much as myself so most of my energy is spent on convincing her to come out to certain locations to shoot, that alone can be so tiring :)

Your page is awesome and I have learned a lot in such a short space of time by watching and listening to you guys, keep up that awesome work.

Chat to you I the future
Dec

I think the big problem is that the novelty of drone videos is quickly wearing off. There are millions of videos. Think about a place and someone has flown there already. Maybe they've ignored the legal restrictions and flown closer or higher then you. Also looking at a audience breakdown of my own channel my guess is that a lot of my visitors are actually a drone enthusiast themselves. I also have noticed that as my footage improves the number of views or the average length they spend watching is either same or lower. My guess is due to the audience people will more likely watch videos of someone less competent then them to make themselves feel better :) As you get really good you may attract some genuine viewer from outside of out community but as I said before it is a might saturated market. I post my videos on Facebook with a link to YT and few forums including this one and get between 300 - 800 views before the traffic slows down to a trickle. Good luck and tell us how you got on!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez