DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wait... Adorama says RC 2 is compatible with Mavic 3!?!?

@CalebLA quick someone nip out and try it,perhaps they know something we don't
i know i have an Air 3 and a Mini 3 pro ,i will test it out and get back to you with my findings

No luck i'm afraid ,the RC2 would not connect to my Mini 3 pro, and i couldn't even pair it to the controller ah well i don't own a Mavic 3 so can't check that out ,but i doubt if it will work

It may be in a future update. I bought the Air 2S FMC with RC Pro while it was available. After a few weeks, DJI updated the RC Pro to be compatible. This is from the DJI RC 2 page -
"2. When connecting to other drones, DJI RC 2’s video transmission technology will switch to the video transmission specifications used by that drone’s technology, and the video transmission distance will also change accordingly. For drone models compatibale with DJI RC 2, please check the Specs page."

Reactions: GadgetGuy
In the compatibility section, it says only Air 3. The section you are looking at shows the Overview, it shows the RC2 is O4 and then it provides a list of the different technologies in the different DJI drones. The overview is misleading when it says "The DJI RC 2 video transmission technology will automatically switch to the video transmission specifications used by that drone’s technology, and the video transmission distance will also change accordingly" when it seems to be referencing "occusync."

The fact that someone would write that leads me to believe it could be true one day. Over a B&H, they don't supply a list of technologies and the Q&A answers with Air 3 only and specifically says NO to Mavic 3 for the time being.

I guess it would be fair to anticipate this may be coming soon or that it is possible because I can't see how Adorama could make this up on their own unless someone there doesn't understand the frequencies. Perhaps they are premature with posting and while a compatibility list error is understandable, claiming there is switching technology seems to indicate something.

its interesting that they only mention video transmission specs ,to me ,that refers more to the actual video signal being transmitted back to the RC ,which varies ,according to distance on some versions ,and the screen resolution of the picture ,that is being viewed on the RC being sent from the drone ,in the case of the 04 system this is varies between 10.80p@30fps or10.80p@60fps
if you check the manual for the Air 3 with the RC2 controller it only says video transmission system 04 and gives the specs mentioned above
in the case of the original RC with the screen for the Mini 3 in the manual it mentions,that depending on which of the drones that it supports ,it will adjust the screen resolution accordingly
maybe whoever wrote the add for the new RC2 remote just assumed it would be the same as the original one
it will all depend if DJI feel that adding the Mavic 3 series ,to be able to be flown by the RC 2, or RC N2 for that matter,will be something that will increase sales of the RC N2 and RC2 in the future ,or that from now on, only new drones, such as the upcoming Mini 4 pro which have the 04 system will be compatible

I was wondering because I purchased the RC 2 from the DJI store about a month ago.
It just arrived today, but I was about to return it since I thought it would not be compatible.

But then I saw those very interesting specs on the Adorama website!

Likely similar to the RC Pro included in the Air 2S Combo. It was sold as not being compatible with the Mavic 3, yet we all suspected it was the same RC Pro, and that either a FW update or hack could make it compatible. 6 weeks later, the FW update was rolled out, making both RC Pro versions compatible with both drones.

Others have speculated, since release, that the OS4 RC's could be made backwards compatible with OS 3 and OS3+. Here's their confirmation. Now, we just need to wait for the FW updates.

With external rabbit ear antennas, the DJI RC 2 should still be better than the original DJI RC when both are on OS3+. My WAG is maybe a 20% increase in signal stability, and perhaps a range increase, too.

Adorama is a very reputable dealer with competitive prices, but they have had incorrect information about drones and their operation in their advertising in the past.

Adorama is a very reputable dealer with competitive prices, but they have had incorrect information about drones and their operation in their advertising in the past.
The information replicates what is found elsewhere. Adorama didn't just make this up out of whole cloth. It is a verbatim quote found elsewhere, too!

The information replicates what is found elsewhere. Adorama didn't just make this up out of whole cloth. It is a verbatim quote found elsewhere, too!
I don't get your point.....are you saying that because someone advertised bad information, and Adorama copied it, that it is OK? This is not the only instance in which they have dispensed information that is not correct ( if this information being discussed is actually inaccurate)

I don't get your point.....are you saying that because someone advertised bad information, and Adorama copied it, that it is OK? This is not the only instance in which they have dispensed information that is not correct ( if this information being discussed is actually inaccurate)
The default presumption is that is accurate, not that it is not. Why do you assume it is not accurate? What do you know about the RC 2 that leads you to conclude that it cannot be made backwards compliant with OS3 and OS3+?

I don't know anything about it...just commenting that I know of other advertising by Adorama in which they posted some erroneous information as fact

@mobilehomer ,at this time the only drone listed to be flown with the DJI RC 2 is the Air 3
so when the Mini 4 pro is released ,it will be similar to the original DJI RC controller ,and allow other drones that have the 04 transmission system to be flown ,and as is stated in the manual for the RC 2 ,it will then adjust the screen image quality, to match the corresponding drone it is flying at the time, whether this list of drones will include the Mini 3 plus ,or any of the Mavic 3 stable ,is something that only time will tell

@mobilehomer ,at this time the only drone listed to be flown with the DJI RC 2 is the Air 3
so when the Mini 4 pro is released ,it will be similar to the original DJI RC controller ,and allow other drones that have the 04 transmission system to be flown ,and as is stated in the manual for the RC 2 ,it will then adjust the screen image quality, to match the corresponding drone it is flying at the time, whether this list of drones will include the Mini 3 plus ,or any of the Mavic 3 stable ,is something that only time will tell
Very true, but the new RC 2 is O4, plus the Mini 4 will be O4. So no need to change transmission technology. DJI CLEARLY states this. NOT me, but DJI. Again - "2. When connecting to other drones, DJI RC 2’s video transmission technology will switch to the video transmission specifications used by that drone’s technology, and the video transmission distance will also change accordingly. For drone models compatibale with DJI RC 2, please check the Specs page." Not now, but DJI HAS opened the door for future expansion. I hope sooner than later.

Very true, but the new RC 2 is O4, plus the Mini 4 will be O4. So no need to change transmission technology. DJI CLEARLY states this. NOT me, but DJI. Again - "2. When connecting to other drones, DJI RC 2’s video transmission technology will switch to the video transmission specifications used by that drone’s technology, and the video transmission distance will also change accordingly. For drone models compatibale with DJI RC 2, please check the Specs page." Not now, but DJI HAS opened the door for future expansion. I hope sooner than later.
Indeed. The real difference is in OS4 range vs OS3+ range of 20km vs. 15km. Making the RC 2 compatible with OS3 and OS3+ will reduce the rated RC 2 range from 20km to that supported by OS3+ of 15km.

The main benefit of that backwards compatibility, if and when enabled, is the from the external rabbit ear antennas, which are always better than built-in internal antennas, like on the DJI RC. On the RC 2, they should mildly enhance the OS3+ signal stability over using the DJI RC with internal antennas, even though it still won't extend the range beyond 15km.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15