DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning never seen before. "Upward obstacel detected"

TTP

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Can't find anywhere to close this sensor, does anyone know where to find this sensor in the settings?
Drone FirmWare V01.00.670

I would be more worried about why the warning popped up rather than just turn it off and forget about it. It could be telling you something you should know. I would start by being sure that sensor is clean (this is mentioned in the owners manual).

But I don't think there's a single setting for each sensor, at least not one for the above sensor only. It's either all on or all off, or the modes that turn off side-sensors.

Chris

Reactions: Lionfish
I don't think you can, I have had forward & rear off and then switched downwards looking off but couldn't find a switch for upwards looking.
As Chris has suggested remembering to switch them on again after the flight that needed them off is a VERY GOOD idea.

Reactions: Lionfish
I who fly a lot among and under trees and bushes often have branches over the drone and when the distance is less than 1 m the warning comes and the drone stops.

May well try turning off more or less everything and see if the warning comes anyway.

Am very used to turning on and off different sensors depending on where I fly.

Have tried to turn off everything that goes, the warning comes anyway.

Have looked in FlightRecord backwards and find that the warning has been there all along,

If you fly about 1m under a tree branch, the warning comes, but the drone does not stop, however if you ascend it will be a sharp stop, really very good it is just that you get used to how the drone reacts under different circumstances.

In the house is keeps a M2 whatever clear of the ceiling, it's a bit of a curse in that situation as it very much constrains the flight to a fairly narrow layer 'well away' from both the floor and ceiling.
Indcidentally I have forced either an M2P or an M2Z to land by lowering my hand when my hand was over the upward looking sensors. The motors didn't seem to stop once it had landed but it did not take off again.
That said it brings to mind a recollection of a lost Mavic where the pilot had possibly got caught out by wind and made a safe emergency landing at some remote place. For whatever reason he didn't or couldn't shut the motors down and, possibly at a loss of signal, it attempted a ( fail safe? ) RTH and was lost when the battery died. It landed in bushes and couldn't be found.
The lesson be shut the motors down after landing if they don't do so automatically

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TTP
Top sensor cannot be turned off, only covered. Absent covering the sensor, a/c will dip when top sensor gets close to an object. See attached from M2P, with and without top sensor.

Reactions: TTP and Camino Ken
Top sensor cannot be turned off, only covered. Absent covering the sensor, a/c will dip when top sensor gets close to an object. See attached from M2P, with and without top sensor.

A good tip if you have to do an inspection tightly under a roof.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa