DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warranty after a crash

sagar_dji

Reactions
Hello Fellow Pilots -

This is possibly a very generic question. As I had mentioned in my intro, I crashed my MA2. It hit a roof top chiller and fell down 3 - 4 meters on to concrete floor. Visible damage - a cut in one of the propellers and a broken gimbal. Barring a few scratches on the body, I do not see anything else.

Question - if they replace/fix the gimbal, should I be concerned about any dislocation internally - be it to sensors or other components - that could go undetected now, that can potentially jeopardize safety and maneuverability when I fly it the next time?
I am told by the DJI authorised service center that once it has crashed, the drone is void of warranty - Is this (reasons mentioned in the initial part of my question) why?

TIA

I would assume if you send it to DJI to be repaired after a crash they would inspect all components & return it 100% fit for flight.
I can understand why they say a crash voids the warranty, after all it isn't a faulty product but a faulty pilot ;)
The above is why I got my equipment covered by insurance.

Reactions: sagar_dji
If you crashed your car through a fault entirely of your own would you expect the manufacturer to fix it for you under warranty? Obviously not.

It is quite possible there is internal damage, which DJI would be able to identify and repair at your cost.

If you crashed your car through a fault entirely of your own would you expect the manufacturer to fix it for you under warranty? Obviously not.

It is quite possible there is internal damage, which DJI would be able to identify and repair at your cost.
I have no claims for warranty for this crash. The last sentence answers my question - Thank you @SkyeHigh

I would assume if you send it to DJI to be repaired after a crash they would inspect all components & return it 100% fit for flight.
I can understand why they say a crash voids the warranty, after all it isn't a faulty product but a faulty pilot ;)
The above is why I got my equipment covered by insurance.
If they give it back to me 100% fit for flight, that's assuring. I hope that is what happens :) Thank you @THE CYBORG

Reactions: THE CYBORG
It is likely DJI will send you new or refurbished unit, and yours will be repaired at a later date and provided to someone else as refurbished. In that case, whatever time you had left on your original copter's warrantee would still be in affect. If you go with third party repair, yours would be fixed and returned, and if you then filed a warrantee claim in the future with DJI regarding something else, they may deny it - if they knew of the prior repair...

My bet will be on the idea of you receiving a different aircraft from DJI.
The different serial number when returned will be your answer.
Got it - so if it is a different serial, I should understand that it is a refurbished device and still carry warranty for the remaining period, as stated by @Brockrock . Correct?

It is likely DJI will send you new or refurbished unit, and yours will be repaired at a later date and provided to someone else as refurbished. In that case, whatever time you had left on your original copter's warrantee would still be in affect. If you go with third party repair, yours would be fixed and returned, and if you then filed a warrantee claim in the future with DJI regarding something else, they may deny it - if they knew of the prior repair...
That's precisely my thought. So if they offer warranty for the remaining period, I could safely assume the device I receive to be properly health checked. I hope that is what happens. I do not want to be void of warranty 2 weeks after purchasing the drone :oops: I have given it to an DJI authorised warranty repair center in UAE for repair.
Will keep this thread posted on the outcome.
Thanks @Brockrock

Ok...So I got my aircraft back after repair. It obviously wasn't covered by warranty. Costed me a third of the cost of the drone...an expensive lesson. But I consider myself more experienced now ;)

Let alone the scratches on the body, one of the props has a miniscule cut (pics attached) do you think this one is usable or should I replace it?

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_230819.jpg
    IMG_20201112_230819.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201112_230830.jpg
    IMG_20201112_230830.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Ok...So I got my aircraft back after repair. It obviously wasn't covered by warranty. Costed me a third of the cost of the drone...an expensive lesson. But I consider myself more experienced now ;)

Let alone the scratches on the body, one of the props has a miniscule cut (pics attached) do you think this one is usable or should I replace it?
Take no chances with something so cheap that supports something so expensive. Replace it! Thumbswayup

Reactions: sagar_dji
That has been a question: continuation of warranty after repair, particularly a DJI authorized repair.

If you crash a car, do you immediately lose the powertrain warranty? Not usually if repaired by a competent technician with reliable parts, particularly not if repaired by the dealer.

That has been a question: continuation of warranty after repair, particularly a DJI authorized repair.

If you crash a car, do you immediately lose the powertrain warranty? Not usually if repaired by a competent technician with reliable parts, particularly not if repaired by the dealer.
Why the convoluted explanation. You might simply say that warranty requires the manufactures to make good on defects in components and/or workmanship. Absent it being demonstrated the owner contributed to the fault/failure (this would include poor workmanship from a dodgy repairer) warranty will apply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark