DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warranty of second hand drone less than one year old?

NewbieNewbie

Reactions
Hi to all the experienced members

I was hoping to ask some advice please. I am in the process of buying a used DJI drone (only had 3 flights).

Will this drone still be eligible for the DJI warranty if I buy it from the original owner.

My understanding has always been that DJI gives a one year warranty, and that one must approach an authorized DJI dealer in the country, but here I intend buying it from someone as a used drone. Therefore I am asking the question (the seller also does not know).

Thank you kindly to everyone (it will be my very first time in my life, and I am in my 60's).

Best wishes

Hi to all the experienced members

I was hoping to ask some advice please. I am in the process of buying a used DJI drone (only had 3 flights).

Will this drone still be eligible for the DJI warranty if I buy it from the original owner.

My understanding has always been that DJI gives a one year warranty, and that one must approach an authorized DJI dealer in the country, but here I intend buying it from someone as a used drone. Therefore I am asking the question (the seller also does not know).

Thank you kindly to everyone (it will be my very first time in my life, and I am in my 60's).

Best wishes
Depends on where it was bought, but if you have a copy of the original receipt, then generally yes....gonna need more specifics as posted above. Now on these three times it was flown...was that a little old lady, who only flew it after church on Sunday? :oops:

If your buying local and he was local when he bought it, depending on where he bought it from...ect.

Hi Starz and Nimrod and Reapaid 1

This is a Mavic Air 2 and you right. He actually did 80 hours of flying. Do you think it is a safe buy if I proceed? Or rather spend a bit more on a new one.​

I asked him what date he bought it, then he sent me the serial number which means nothing to me. Therefore I must assume it is older than a year,

Do you think there is a risk to buy this?

In other words, if this is out of the one year warranty, and 80 hours of flight, can there be something wrong with it or what can go wrong. This is all online - therefore I can't physically see it or test it (not that I will know what to look for anyway LOL).

Thank you for your help and advice on this tough one.

Best wishes

Date code here. Remember, DJI doesn’t use the letter”o”, those will be a number zero.
80 hours of fly time is certainly more than three flights. The bigger question now becomes the seller’s honesty?

Would help to be able to compare his cost verses new.

Hi Starz

Sorry for this. I read too fast in my haste.

It was actually 4 hours of flight and not more than 80km of distance. I misread it LOL.

When I punch in the serial number, it says it was manufactured in June 2020.

Would you feel more comfortable buying it?

Thank you Starz and to everyone else

Best wishes

Hi Starz

A new one (Fly more combo) costs the equivalent of $1440. This one with 4 hours flight and less than 80km distance, and made in June 2020 (presumably therefore still a warranty till June 2021 I assume). Now this seller is selling at $205 less.
I know nothing about these matters, but I don't mind the saving of $205 if it is all "kosher". Not sure which other word to use.
Any thoughts or input would be highly appreciated (I also would not want to lose the deal if I take too long).
Thank you again
Best wishes

A savings is a savings. 4 hours is nothing as long as it acts as new.

He wouldn't happen to have Refresh tied to it, would he? That is transferable (it is tied to the AC S/N) and that could be your protection from any non-warranty issues.

Is it possible, instead of buying used, buying a refurbished drone that would have a factory warranty and Care/Refresh program that you could count on? Are DJI warranties even tranferrable? Even if so, the amount of time of a standard warranty is one year, so it would be pretty useless unless it failed on the first day. And even so, if you crashed the drone it wouldn't apply.

Hi DanMan32

Unfortunately not. He seems to know even less than me!

I thought if the serial numbers says it was made in June 2020, then I would have 6 months left of the warranty, but I am not sure if things are as simple as this?

Covid has also knocked many people economically, and people try to sell things, but only time will tell if I am being tricked.

Do you know if the remote is compatible with a long distance antenna and yaggie? The seller of these range extenders claim range is increased by 400 to 500 metres (546 yards).

Thank you DanMan32 and to everyone else.

Best wishes

Hi

vindibona1

Over here you can hardly find a refurbished MA2, so you either have to buy it new OR find a find a needle in a haystack like this one that is used. As you know the retailers here monopolize and sell them a more or less the same price.

Then we have the authorities who are nothing but gluttons. We cant even buy a refurbished item on Ebay without first applying for an import certificate (apparently to make sure the item is safe). But we can buy new items, but only 3 in one calendar year. Of more than 3, then you are flagged as an importer, and must apply as an importer or your items are confiscated by customs (some call them thieves).

The rationale here is that the gluttons are afraid they will lose taxes if someone pretends to buy items from abroad and then sells locally without registering as an importer (hence only 3 items can be bought from overseas (Ebay, amazon etc) for private use. Just plane greed. Hence I heard of people preparing for the apocalypse (they say governments look after themselves, not after the people).

Thank you again

Hi

Over here you can hardly find a refurbished MA2, so you either have to buy it new OR find a find a needle in a haystack like this one that is used. As you know the retailers here monopolize and sell them a more or less the same price.

Then we have the authorities who are nothing but gluttons. We cant even buy a refurbished item on Ebay without first applying for an import certificate (apparently to make sure the item is safe). But we can buy new items, but only 3 in one calendar year. Of more than 3, then you are flagged as an importer, and must apply as an importer or your items are confiscated by customs (some call them thieves).

The rationale here is that the gluttons are afraid they will lose taxes if someone pretends to buy items from abroad and then sells locally without registering as an importer (hence only 3 items can be bought from overseas (Ebay, amazon etc) for private use. Just plane greed. Hence I heard of people preparing for the apocalypse (they say governments look after themselves, not after the people).

Thank you again
I hear you. I find it despicable the corrupt way some of our local and state governments operate, mine particularly, putting us hundreds of billions in debt, and yet while burying us in debt they've construct the best government perks and highest government employee pension payouts and obligations while providing only basic services to taxpayers. I'll stop here.

Hi Starz

A new one (Fly more combo) costs the equivalent of $1440. This one with 4 hours flight and less than 80km distance, and made in June 2020 (presumably therefore still a warranty till June 2021 I assume). Now this seller is selling at $205 less.
I know nothing about these matters, but I don't mind the saving of $205 if it is all "kosher". Not sure which other word to use.
Any thoughts or input would be highly appreciated (I also would not want to lose the deal if I take too long).
Thank you again
Best wishes
My personal opinion is why not spend the extra $200 to have a new one with a FULL one year warranty? I know that contradicts some others opinion but that is what I would do. You me it would be peace of mind and the original warranty is in YOUR name.

Reactions: vindibona1
Hi

@vindibona1 and​

elborak and​

CactusJackSlade

Over here there are businesses selling them, but then they state they are authorised by DJI.

At least you have free access to global markets,

On another note, the plot thickens here.

I made this offer he agreed upon unofficially, but now when I made the offer officially, I was surprised to hear that he countered my offer stating the following:

"Since advertising it, I have flown a further 10 km (on top of the 80km) and an additional 1.62 hours of flight time (on top of the 4 hours). If you are still happy, then I will accept the offer"

What do you experienced members think of this seller?

I must confess that I know nothing, but to my mind, it makes me conclude that the drone flies OR this seller initially thought I am stupid, but when I stated I am offering him $x based on the fact that he said there are only 4 hours of flight and 80km distance without crashes, he might have gotten scared and then went to verify the figures of his flight records?

But it still perhaps means he will think twice about "catching me" with a defective drone?

May I ask what you all think (I have noted CactusJackslade's view with thanks)

Many thanks everyone

Best wishes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3