DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I rude?

DroneQuixote

Reactions
Had a guy approach me while I was flying, and I had to tell him that I couldn't speak with him while I was flying. I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone, but I didn't want to come across as "Karen-ish". How does everyone handle these types of situations? I hate feeling rude, but I also don't like the idea of someone trying to talk to me while I'm in flight, it's like approaching someone on a golf course as they're about to tee off and trying to talk to them. I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.

Reactions: Lionfish
Maybe something like this?
UAS_Safety_Vest-resized2_1500x.png

Had a guy approach me while I was flying, and I had to tell him that I couldn't speak with him while I was flying. I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone, but I didn't want to come across as "Karen-ish". How does everyone handle these types of situations? I hate feeling rude, but I also don't like the idea of someone trying to talk to me while I'm in flight, it's like approaching someone on a golf course as they're about to tee off and trying to talk to them. I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.
I just tell them all my attention needs to be on the drone. We can chat when the drone is back on the ground. Thank you ,

Regarding your headphone idea. A simple pair of Earbuds is sometimes all it takes. I used to wear them in the gym when certain folks were there who always seemed to want to talk rather than take care of business and get out of there. I never listened to music or anything. I just tucked the loose end in the pocket of my shorts. It was pretty funny really.. And, no, you were not rude.

I find that whenever I launch a drone people appear from nowhere as if by magic.
Most are interested so start asking questions, some just want to complain, in either scenario I tell them I will chat when I land because I have to concentrate on flying.
I have a few interesting clips saved on my Smart Controller’s SD card so I can show them what the little MP2 is capable of.
It is surprising how many of the complainers go away with a positive attitude towards drones after watching video of what I use it for.

You would have difficulty finding any law or regulation to support that.
Just politely explain that you are trying to concentrate but can talk later.

If you stretch the meaning of 18 U.S. Code § 32, that could be used. But that section is more about people threatening someone flying. The word "intent" is a key part to most of that code. (5) is the one used the most.

I mean, it's a Mavic...

So why not just let it hover nearby, inform people of the awesome technology before them.

This has happened to me a couple times and usually I say, "one second, let me get settled here". I follow this by bringing the drone nearby and explaining RTH, the gimbal stabilized camera and the whole lot.

Usually they leave looking at the DJI website, or this website! ?? Even if they were apprehensive at first.

I've had two people now who's wife said, after they both saw the footage, "hey, you have to tell me what drone this is because if I get him this, he'll let me get ________".

apart from the odd person ,who has preconceived ideas about drones ,that they have read in the press or seen in the media
most people are just interested to find out about what you are doing ,to that end i wear a high vis vest ,and that has the effect of letting people who wonder what you are doing, know you are flying a drone ,it works because some who have no interest will just walk on by and others will approach and ask questions
when that happens i will decide depending on the amount of battery i have left whether to talk to them and show them my screen so they can see what the drone sees
or let them know , to give me a moment ,and to please move back so i can land safely ,and then i will be more than happy to talk to them
i then use the time i have to try and let them see that drones are not evil machines used to spy on people and try to give them info on what it takes to get into the hobby

Karen’s are the ones who do the approaching so no worries there.

Reactions: CatsFPV
I had a situation the other day that I wondered if anyone could help me understand if I was in the wrong ?

There is a new skate park in the city I live in for skaters and kids on bikes. They do tricks and ride throuhout the different features. There were about 15 people actively using the park when I arrived.

I parked way back in the back of the parking lot, away from everyone - put my drone up and took some footage of the kids riding thru the park. In one instance, I was at about 200 feet above and off to the side of the park, not directly over anyone - and I wanted to do a few hyperlapse shots - so, While "parked" I did one or two hypershop series - and when battery was low, returned to home.

While packing up the Drone, a couple of "kids" - probablyabout 20 years old came over (about 200 yards walk from where they were skating to where I was) and in a threatening manner approached me in an intimidating manner saying I was "uncool" for filming the video. I tried to difuse the situation explaining that my Son is a skater (who lives in Connecticut) and I was only trying to get some footage I could show him - I explained that I was 200 feet up too far to see faces or anything more than general activity in the park. I appologized if I had offended them - tried to show them the videos I had created - and after calling me a "PERV" the kids finally walked away, muttering some unpleasant things as they did.

So - trying to be unobtrusive, I obviously upset these guys - I did not ask permission from the large group of skaters only because I didn't think I needed to - and the group was large enough and so actively involved in skating, it was not really possible to do so.

So - I am curious - did I do anything wrong ? How should I have handled this if I did do something wrong?

At all times I was polite, attempted to show them what I was doing - apologized for whatever it was that had upset them - and so on.

Thoughts?

I had a situation the other day that I wondered if anyone could help me understand if I was in the wrong ?

There is a new skate park in the city I live in for skaters and kids on bikes. They do tricks and ride throuhout the different features. There were about 15 people actively using the park when I arrived.

I parked way back in the back of the parking lot, away from everyone - put my drone up and took some footage of the kids riding thru the park. In one instance, I was at about 200 feet above and off to the side of the park, not directly over anyone - and I wanted to do a few hyperlapse shots - so, While "parked" I did one or two hypershop series - and when battery was low, returned to home.

While packing up the Drone, a couple of "kids" - probablyabout 20 years old came over (about 200 yards walk from where they were skating to where I was) and in a threatening manner approached me in an intimidating manner saying I was "uncool" for filming the video. I tried to difuse the situation explaining that my Son is a skater (who lives in Connecticut) and I was only trying to get some footage I could show him - I explained that I was 200 feet up too far to see faces or anything more than general activity in the park. I appologized if I had offended them - tried to show them the videos I had created - and after calling me a "PERV" the kids finally walked away, muttering some unpleasant things as they did.

So - trying to be unobtrusive, I obviously upset these guys - I did not ask permission from the large group of skaters only because I didn't think I needed to - and the group was large enough and so actively involved in skating, it was not really possible to do so.

So - I am curious - did I do anything wrong ? How should I have handled this if I did do something wrong?

At all times I was polite, attempted to show them what I was doing - apologized for whatever it was that had upset them - and so on.

Thoughts?
And yet there was probably 10 people with a cell phone capturing video.

@Geekser with hindsight your choice of venue and the fact there were young people there ,was not your finest hour
because of the misinformation that is put out be the media ,about the abilities of a drones camera ,that they think can take close up shots of people's faces etc from 200 ft away
they automatically think you are there for nefarious reasons and just assume the worst
if you really want to film at that location, it would be better to do it when the park is very quiet say early in the morning when youngsters are still in the land of nod
it would not matter what you did or said to the two who spoke to you they had already made up their minds due to ignorance of the real facts

Are these vests on the market?
You can get them on Amazon as Dale stated but some of the ones on Amazon are made by Kwiksafety. If you go tho their website they will custom print them for you. HERE is a link to their web.
Also ThinkDsignPrint will custom print them. HERE is a link to their web through Esty. I am sure a Google search would bring up other options. I actually have an order in for one for my V.O.

Just hover for a couple of minutes, explain the technology, and be a good ambassador for our industry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan