DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I rude?

Regarding your headphone idea. A simple pair of Earbuds is sometimes all it takes. I used to wear them in the gym when certain folks were there who always seemed to want to talk rather than take care of business and get out of there. I never listened to music or anything. I just tucked the loose end in the pocket of my shorts. It was pretty funny really.. And, no, you were not rude.

I do this on airplanes all the time...or used to.

Shortly after getting my drone, I made a video in a skate park full of the 20 somethings. But I took a different approach, I starting by surveying the park and talking with the skaters. Telling them I had a drone and asking who would like to make a fun video. Some people were not into it (one dude says he was wanted by the police), but others were okay with it and even recommended one of the tricksters who was happy to be in the video. It sounds like this skate park is smaller than Geekser's park and was easier to talk to a smaller group. Part of the park is hidden by being under an interstate, I asked those who did not participate to stay away under the interstate to avoid flying near them or filming them. I only had one battery, so we were done filming in 20 minutes. But overall the vibe was positive. Most who didn't want to participate didn't think their skills were up to filming.

Thanks for your input - given more time, I definitely could have tried something similar - if I ever go back there, I will see how that approach works. Thanks again! By the way - nice video!

Sow kindness and the fun of your toy!!

Share your experience and knowledge to help put our industry in a better light. The more most people know the less mystery and "worry" they have about it.

Why not just take a moment, hover in a safe position, and show off your fun and exciting toy?

Lol, I was being a little imputent ?

If you don't feel comfortable hovering and having a brief conversation, just be polite as possible and say you can talk once you are on the ground for safety reasons.. Most people are genuinely curious and it doesn't occur to them that they may be distracting you from concentrating on your flight. Like what was mentioned above, try and be a good ambassador for the industry and you may get someone into drones that may have not considered it before!

Reactions: BigAl07
I do have one quick question for you.
I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone....
Can you point to the regulation that stipulates it's illegal to distract a UAS operator?

Many people have "Stretched the definition" of 18 U.S. Code § 32
to include talking to a UAS operator. It's important to note that to fall into the above Code the person has to have the INTENT to endanger the safety of an person with reckless disregard for the safety of human life. That's going to be a HUGE stretch and one that isn't going to "fly" (pun intended). Here is that portion of the code unedited:

(5) interferes with or disables, with intent to endanger the safety of any person or with a reckless disregard for the safety of human life, anyone engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft or any air navigation facility aiding in the navigation of any such aircraft;

This myth needs to be squashed as it leads to misinformation and that hurts all of us.

(5) interferes with or disables, with intent to endanger the safety of any person or with a reckless disregard for the safety of human life, anyone engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft or any air navigation facility aiding in the navigation of any such aircraft;

This myth needs to be squashed as it leads to misinformation and that hurts all of us.

I disagree. That clause is so vague it could easily be construed to include gratuitous, distracting input from persons on the ground. 'Reckless disregard' is the clincher. If the interrupting person does not know that what they're doing is potentially dangerous, and they were to trigger an accident, they would have to argue that as a defense. Otherwise they could be in breach, depending on what side of the bed the judge got out of that morning. It's a badly worded clause. And yes, of course I know what they think they're trying to say, it just needs a complete rewrite! :)

Fortunately, where I fly, I can stay well away from uninvited input. Threads like this confirm my lack of desire to trigger such individuals. I know how they feel though. I'm the same when a bunch of guys turn up on my property on the first day of deer hunting season.

Them: "But, but, I've hunted here since I was a child..." (and other such statements designed to demonstrate their entitlement that I know to be inaccurate).

Me: "It's my land, not yours. If I say yes to you I'll have fifty people up there blazing away tomorrow. I'M TRYING TO CREATE A NATURE RESERVE HERE PEOPLE!!!"

They might continue arguing for a while. If so I offer to sell them the title to the land. They invariably give up at that point.

They might sneak up there anyway but word gets around. I like deer more than I like some people, apparently.

Just trying to demonstrate the psychologies and emotions in play. And apologies to the hunters here. I'm not taking aim at hunting in general, just on my property.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneQuixote
I disagree.

You're welcome to disagree all you want but until someone takes it to court it's not going to stick for UAS operations. This has been proven time and again through reports to the FAA. You'd be shocked at how many people "report" UAS interference to the FAA and it's not even an investigative situation or it hasn't been in my region (Charlotte NC FSDO).

That clause is so vague it could easily be construed to include gratuitous, distracting input from persons on the ground. 'Reckless disregard' is the clincher. If the interrupting person does not know that what they're doing is potentially dangerous, and they were to trigger an accident, they would have to argue that as a defense. Otherwise they could be in breach, depending on what side of the bed the judge got out of that morning. It's a badly worded clause. And yes, of course I know what they think they're trying to say, it just needs a complete rewrite! :)

If their INTENT (It's clearly written in the US Code) is to merely talk and not to disrupt then you'd have a very hard time proving otherwise.

The way I see it, if you can't tolerate someone talking to you while you're flying then you need to seriously evaluate your operating skills and procedures. Now if someone is aggressively confronting you that's a little bit different but we still have the option to Hover & deal with it or to walk away from them, land, and properly address the situation at hand.

Good points BigAl07, and I do not disagree with them. I suspect the clause is purposely vague to allow a judge and jury some leeway in deciding whether 'reckless disregard' was in play or not, and how egregious it was. These things are rarely cut and dried.

And you're dead right, nobody should rely on it. Politeness and professionalism are required at all times. In the corporate world it would be called 'emotional intelligence'. I freely admit needing to remember my own EI skills, it's a lifelong good habit.

Last edited:
When I was able to fly at parks I never minded people coming up and asking questions. I enjoyed it actually. Of course, I was flying recreationally and seldom in midst of trying to compose perfect shot when interrupted so it was no real bother. I also positioned myself on periphery to limit interaction. But I had many, many entertaining exchanges with people who enjoyed hearing about and seeing this amazing technology. Drones are now banned in all local parks so I look back at those days with fondness and nostalgia.

Had a guy approach me while I was flying, and I had to tell him that I couldn't speak with him while I was flying. I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone, but I didn't want to come across as "Karen-ish". How does everyone handle these types of situations? I hate feeling rude, but I also don't like the idea of someone trying to talk to me while I'm in flight, it's like approaching someone on a golf course as they're about to tee off and trying to talk to them. I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.

My rule of thumb, is always be nice.

Drones...for what ever reason, make people nervous. People can have their photo taken daily by people with cell phones in public places like the park, the theme park, cameras at walmart, target,etc... Thruway exits, traffic cams and they don't think twice about. Attach that camera to a drone and through 50 ft in the air it is instantly view as suspicious and navarious. So I alway let the person approach, let them state their question, gage their intent and if need be, in my friendliest voice say something like..."Hang on...let be bring my drone back and land and then I can answer any questions you might have. I can talk to them while I fly back and explain to them why I have to maintain VLOS and keep up with Search and Avoid. This lets them know that I take safety seriously. After I land I explain why I am there, what I am capturing, show them some footage if they would like to see and answer any question they have. All while being friendly and polite. This quickly deescalates the situation and usually puts the spectator at ease. The last time this happen the person came back from their house as i was packing up and brought mea bottled water, cause it was hot outside.

Did I really want to stop my mission/job in mid flight, no. Did I really want to explain for 100th time how far, how high, or how fast...I can fly, no. But we as commercial and recreational drone pilots are going to have to be the public's source for the right information. The media usually only sensationalizes the bad/dramatic news when it comes to drones. So it is up to us, to education them on what we do.

Does not always turn out rainbows, roses and butterflies but being nice help, being calm cool and courteous is the key. Especially when law enforcement gets involved.

Maybe something like this?
UAS_Safety_Vest-resized2_1500x.png
I wear something like this. If I were performing some surgery and someone walked up to me I would calmly say, give me a minute or so to finish please.

Reactions: Tufargon
You would have difficulty finding any law or regulation to support that.
Just politely explain that you are trying to concentrate but can talk later.
On the FAA site it does say it is a federal offense to interfere with anyone flying any kind of aircraft. So yes it is a crime however like kids smoking or no muffler harleys. non-enforceable.
I try to be polite and just show them the screen while I am flying so they know what I am up to and then tell them to hang on while I finish up.

I am amazed at how people like to focus on these type of issues. This type of situation occurs all our lives in all kind of situations. First of all, common decency applies. Another onlooker my not have it, but you must. To have these type of encounter means you are flying in a public place where folks have a right to interact with you. I have been flying my mavic for 5 months now every day the weather allows. From my home to a state park in Colorado and many places in between, and have not been approached by ONE onlooker. It is very easy to plan it that way. If folks are serious about this fabulous activity they need to enjoy what's important and stop fussing about what's not.

Humour and a smile, maybe a joke if you can manage it, makes such a difference.

On the FAA site it does say it is a federal offense to interfere with anyone flying any kind of aircraft.
There's a huge difference between someone approaching a drone flyer and talking to him and someone that interferes or assaults an aircrew member flying a plane.

Reactions: Searat290
Maybe something like this?
UAS_Safety_Vest-resized2_1500x.png
I do drone jobs in public areas what I do is I go around behind the shopping center and fly from the back where nobody sees me.
Because once the Mavic is in the air nobody seems to notice it.

Also last I checked if Let go of the sticks my drone just hovers. Maybe yours flies away but mine just hovers

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a guy approach me while I was flying, and I had to tell him that I couldn't speak with him while I was flying. I came close to telling him that it was illegal to distract someone that was operating a drone, but I didn't want to come across as "Karen-ish". How does everyone handle these types of situations? I hate feeling rude, but I also don't like the idea of someone trying to talk to me while I'm in flight, it's like approaching someone on a golf course as they're about to tee off and trying to talk to them. I'd consider wearing some headphones, but I figure I'd better be attentive with my surroundings, and headphones would prevent that.
[/QUOTE

Seems you did pretty well. Just have to take every situation as it comes.

Easy. Hit the pause button, put the drone into a hover for a moment, turn to him and explain why you need to concentrate on one thing only at that moment. Turn back to the controller, resume the flight and ignore any further discussion. Nothing rude about it

I think because mostly what we do is filming brides and grooms, usually people are polite enough to not bother us while we're doing our work; but I had this instance once where we were in an island, and I was following my bride and groom cycling in the streets, where out of nowhere this elderly lady runs up to me and asks what I am filming.
Now, mind you, this is the Mavic Air, this thing barely held 18 minutes for me, and I was already running low and was trying to get back. I told her that I am nowhere near her house, but then she asks me where I am from, and where my clients are from. So, at this point, I just ignore her and focus on bringing the Mavic Air back. Buyukada is a very forest-y island, it's really hard to navigate with a drone, so you really need to focus.
She gets upset and goes over to my clients to ask where they're from. I am sorry, but we're working. I can't stand around and chit-chat while on the job, especially because my clients want the very best from us, as we're one of the highest rated teams in Istanbul. I do think people need to be more cognizant and not approach someone who's flying a drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive