DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was Ready to Kick DJI to the Curb

ThatBeardedDroneGuy

Part 107 Bubba
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've only been flying a couple of months (if that) but tonight I was really regretting my decision to get a nanny-state DJI. I mostly fly in controlled airspace and it's never really been a problem. For whatever reason, though, tonight was different. I wasted about 15 min trying to get the stupid DJI app to unlock so I could fly. Never mind the fact that I've done this a bunch of times w/o incident.

Tonight it just kept prompting me with the acknowledgements, telling me it was unlocked successfully, and then blocking me from starting the motors. I was so frustrated I was ready to throw the drone across the soccer field and go home. Ok, maybe not quite that frustrated since I didn't do it, but I was fuming. No idea what changed it's mind but all of a sudden it decided it was done being a PITA and worked fine.

Really has me second-guessing whether I want to get an Air 2S. If the FAA clears me, DJI shouldn't stand in the way.

Ok, vent over. I feel better now.

Try just using their unlock site. I live near an airport and have a problem with the app as well. So far I've had no problem with the unlock site on my laptop. I'm in Australia but the link should figure out you're in Murica. Fly Safe - DJI

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
So you fly in contrled airspace. What do you expect 🤷‍♂️
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe that the app would actually unlock when it says this:

IMG_8279.jpg

Try just using their unlock site. I live near an airport and have a problem with the app as well. So far I've had no problem with the unlock site on my laptop. I'm in Australia but the link should figure out you're in Murica. Fly Safe - DJI
Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to start taking a laptop with me which just increases the burden of flying.

Reactions: lee8sec
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe that the app would actually unlock when it says this:

View attachment 146697

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to start taking a laptop with me which just increases the burden of flying.
The unlock lasts 3 days. Wouldn't it make sense to just unlock the places where you plan to fly before you leave home?

Well, I wasn't aware of that. I've just been unlocking whenever I get where I'm going. Now that it's bitten me, though, I can plan better. Thanks for the tip.

Part of the problem is that I can't always fly where I want. My main practice area, for example, is a soccer field. Normally, Monday is clear but this week I arrived and they were doing a special practice. So I'd be looking for someplace else to fly without prior authorization. Much of the airspace around me is controlled due to multiple airports and military installations.

But I have one more arrow in my quiver now. I vented and learned something in return. I consider this a win!

I've only been flying a couple of months (if that) but tonight I was really regretting my decision to get a nanny-state DJI. I mostly fly in controlled airspace and it's never really been a problem. For whatever reason, though, tonight was different. I wasted about 15 min trying to get the stupid DJI app to unlock so I could fly. Never mind the fact that I've done this a bunch of times w/o incident.

Tonight it just kept prompting me with the acknowledgements, telling me it was unlocked successfully, and then blocking me from starting the motors. I was so frustrated I was ready to throw the drone across the soccer field and go home. Ok, maybe not quite that frustrated since I didn't do it, but I was fuming. No idea what changed it's mind but all of a sudden it decided it was done being a PITA and worked fine.

Really has me second-guessing whether I want to get an Air 2S. If the FAA clears me, DJI shouldn't stand in the way.

Ok, vent over. I feel better now.
Why is DJI playing FAA or??

It's a bit of a pain. But picture the kid living near, say, Logan Airport in Boston. They go to Best Buy and pick up a DJI drone. No idea that there are rules governing done use. Hey, wouldn't it be cool to hover over a runway and get a close up of a jet taking off? Next thing you know a passenger jet windshield get cracked on takeoff. This happen a few times around the country, and DJI consumer Drones get banned in the US. At least with locking it takes some effort to do something dumb. I'm willing to deal with a little inconvenience so we can all keep flying.

I guess that's a perspective I hadn't considered. That leads me to think DJI should allow pilots to upload proof of basic training (eg TRUST, etc) or a pilot cert to disable it.

I've wondered how people generally know there are even rules governing their drones. So your use case makes perfect sense. But if I can demonstrate that I'm aware of how controlled airspace works, let me be free!

i have also found the DJI unlock to be a pain.
Not surprised. You guys go around the hoops to fly where you want.
Never had any of those issues but don’t fly in areas you shouldn’t.
Mike Drop. I’m done.
And if you want to start something with me fine do so in a DM 👍
Other than that do not Qoute me. 👍Don’t have time to discuss.
Hope you understand 😉

It's a bit of a pain. But picture the kid living near, say, Logan Airport in Boston. They go to Best Buy and pick up a DJI drone. No idea that there are rules governing done use. Hey, wouldn't it be cool to hover over a runway and get a close up of a jet taking off? Next thing you know a passenger jet windshield get cracked on takeoff. This happen a few times around the country, and DJI consumer Drones get banned in the US. At least with locking it takes some effort to do something dumb. I'm willing to deal with a little inconvenience so we can all keep flying.
And what about with ALL other drone manufacturers like Autel, Hubsan, Parrot, Yuneec, Walkera, Skydio (USA company)? Will they get banned? I doubt it!

Reactions: offtheback
Please post a couple of links to incidences where a drone crashed into a passenger jet windshield. I must have missed those news reports.

Please post a couple of links to incidences where a drone crashed into a passenger jet windshield. I must have missed those news reports.
Hasn't happened yet, but given some of the other stunts (e.g. flying over a stadium crowd) it's only a matter of time.

Hasn't happened yet, but given some of the other stunts (e.g. flying over a stadium crowd) it's only a matter of time.
So it didn’t happen in the 20 years or so hundreds of thousands if not millions of drones have been sold in this country. When you allow regulators to creat regulations based on what ifs you give them license to regulate the activity out of existence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue isn't with the FAA (or whatever governing body is used in you area) establishing guidelines and safe fly zones and those areas being applied (inforced) correctly. The problem is with dji and their arbitrarily locked areas or their flysave app not functioning correctly and issuing an unlock in a timely manner or at all. It's the reason I will never buy (or recommend dji product).
Would you buy a car that won't let you drive in random areas?

Reactions: Croc End and Faster
The issue isn't with the FAA (or whatever governing body is used in you area) establishing guidelines and safe fly zones and those areas being applied (inforced) correctly. The problem is with dji and their arbitrarily locked areas or their flysave app not functioning correctly and issuing an unlock in a timely manner or at all. It's the reason I will never buy (or recommend dji product).
Would you buy a car that won't let you drive in random areas?
I'd buy a car that wouldn't let me drive on airport runways yes ....because I have no intention of driving them there in the first place. I have no problems with the way the unlock works as I want to fly responsibly and not take unnecessary risks. So the fact that I am warned of potentially dangerous places to fly is actually a good thing for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661