DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water Lessons

Rackminster

Reactions
Over the weekend, I discovered that my Mavic 2 Zoom can't swim. Hates it, in fact.

I was out on a camping trip and thought some early morning photography at the lake would be perfect - catch the water before the sun got too high and generally have fun flying.

I put my drone together at camp and triple-checked the battery seating and prop connections to ensure everything was tight. I got out in time to find the water looking just like reflective glass, completely still. Perfect! I launched from up on the shore and after some pre-flight testing I took off over the water. I quickly lost sight of the drone against the background - dark drone, dark trees, dark water. It's not that it was dark, but more that it was pretty much camouflaged. I didn't worry too much about that as I could still see the lake, still see the camera, had good controls, and there were no obstructions in view.

It didn't take me long to decide to try a gentle swoop in to get a nice skimming shot of the water. As I was coming in for that, I lost connection with the drone briefly and when it re-established I figured I better come in just in case. I brought it back up and flew by GPS. It was handling fine, but I had no camera feed. Confusing.

As the drone approached the shore, my oldest son asked "Dad, why is the drone dripping?"

The camera kicked back in as I landed and recorded my very concerned, confused face as I brought it in and shut it off. The entire chassis was dripping wet - except for the propellers and motors. Even the top of the drone was dripping.

When I reviewed the footage, I saw my mistake. The dark mirrored surface of the lake gave me no sense of depth perception on the camera feed, and I was so focused on that that I didn't notice the drone had gone into negative height from home - home being my hand at 6' over the 4' shore. The drone, of course, wasn't able to detect anything was wrong either - the manual told me the sensors can't function properly over monochrome and/or reflective surfaces, but I was too focused on fun to remember that.

The feed cut off just before the camera touched the water (no epic splashdown footage). Even watching it after the fact, I could barely tell I was able to hit the water until I was actually hitting the water. The only indication that anything happened was a quick jerk the camera gimbal reported and compensated for.

I have absolutely no idea how the drone was able to regain flight after I dunked it in the lake, but am glad it did. That's not skill as much as complete BS luck. I should be begging after a diving buddy of mine to go prodding around in the lake muck to find my Mavic right now.

The drone is currently sitting tight in a dry box stuffed with desiccant packs, but I didn't take it apart (I don't have the tools for that). I have contacted Thunder to see what it might cost if I need to replace my camera.

Lesson learned.

Rack: If there are issues after she dries out, I know of no better place to send it than to Rob at Thunderdrones so if you need help, he is definitely the guy. Best of luck and fingers crossed.

Reactions: fozzzy
Wow! You are one lucky dude. Hopefully, it escaped lasting damage.

You might consider putting it in front of a low heat source with a fan. The time I slipped into a creek with my camera, it came out dripping wet. Battery and card compartment were drenched. The lens and view finder totally fogged over. For the next two or so hours I had it suspended in front of the air conditioner vents in a car (I was not driving). I kept rotating it. My hands were numb. Then I placed it out in really warm sunlight for another two or three hours. Worked fine when fired up later that evening. Obviously, not as intricate as a drone. Good luck.

I was stuck at camp for the day, but did keep it in a warm place near the fire. Not close enough to get hot, but enough that I could feel the warmth from the fire where I had the drone sitting. It was there for hours being slightly warmed and I did rotate it once.

I ordered a set of star/key wrenches that should fit the drone and if they arrive tomorrow I'll be taking it apart and looking for any obvious issues and/or remaining water. I'll continue leaving it to dry for a couple days before powering it back on.

Reactions: ff22
Over the weekend, I discovered that my Mavic 2 Zoom can't swim. Hates it, in fact.

I was out on a camping trip and thought some early morning photography at the lake would be perfect - catch the water before the sun got too high and generally have fun flying.

I put my drone together at camp and triple-checked the battery seating and prop connections to ensure everything was tight. I got out in time to find the water looking just like reflective glass, completely still. Perfect! I launched from up on the shore and after some pre-flight testing I took off over the water. I quickly lost sight of the drone against the background - dark drone, dark trees, dark water. It's not that it was dark, but more that it was pretty much camouflaged. I didn't worry too much about that as I could still see the lake, still see the camera, had good controls, and there were no obstructions in view.

It didn't take me long to decide to try a gentle swoop in to get a nice skimming shot of the water. As I was coming in for that, I lost connection with the drone briefly and when it re-established I figured I better come in just in case. I brought it back up and flew by GPS. It was handling fine, but I had no camera feed. Confusing.

As the drone approached the shore, my oldest son asked "Dad, why is the drone dripping?"

The camera kicked back in as I landed and recorded my very concerned, confused face as I brought it in and shut it off. The entire chassis was dripping wet - except for the propellers and motors. Even the top of the drone was dripping.

When I reviewed the footage, I saw my mistake. The dark mirrored surface of the lake gave me no sense of depth perception on the camera feed, and I was so focused on that that I didn't notice the drone had gone into negative height from home - home being my hand at 6' over the 4' shore. The drone, of course, wasn't able to detect anything was wrong either - the manual told me the sensors can't function properly over monochrome and/or reflective surfaces, but I was too focused on fun to remember that.

The feed cut off just before the camera touched the water (no epic splashdown footage). Even watching it after the fact, I could barely tell I was able to hit the water until I was actually hitting the water. The only indication that anything happened was a quick jerk the camera gimbal reported and compensated for.

I have absolutely no idea how the drone was able to regain flight after I dunked it in the lake, but am glad it did. That's not skill as much as complete BS luck. I should be begging after a diving buddy of mine to go prodding around in the lake muck to find my Mavic right now.

The drone is currently sitting tight in a dry box stuffed with desiccant packs, but I didn't take it apart (I don't have the tools for that). I have contacted Thunder to see what it might cost if I need to replace my camera.

Lesson learned.
The most effective way I have discovered to dry out a previously submerged drone is place it in a large Ziploc bag and dump in a couple bags of white rice and let it sit. Any residual moisture on the circuitry can immediately ruin your day, so give it a few days before trying to install a battery and re-fire.

Please don't ask me how I know!

Lesson learned.
I am of course very sorry for your mishap, could happen to many of us but I do want to thank you for the post since it provides a "learning" for all of us!

Reactions: Mavic_Warrior

Their not like keyboards, it seems, which you can throw in the dishwasher and will be ok when full dry.

I doubt it was the reason for the malfunctions at the end of this viedo, but you cant drown it in rice
(Silica Gel is better if you want to to prep for it, but rice and other stuff works)
Use some pillow cover or very thin covering though so it doesnt get inside the vents and stick/harden.
The Moisture will find it's way to the Gel if it's done right

O yeh, the worst thing you can do is try to operate it before fully dry. It's usually short cirutcits before dry
that cause the actual damage

Last edited:
The most effective way I have discovered to dry out a previously submerged drone is place it in a large Ziploc bag and dump in a couple bags of white rice

Doug: From what I've read, using rice is one of the least effective ways to dry something out. In the case of a drone, it is recommended to remove whatever covers that come off fairly easily. Then, put a fan on it over night.

The other materials listed as more effective than rice are:

Cat litter
Couscous (pearl)
Classic rolled oatmeal
Instant oatmeal
Instant rice
Silica gel (crystal kitty litter)
Uncooked rice

Hope that helps some folks...

There are so many posts in this forum, of CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain), that we really should make an effort to fly at a higher altitude, say higher than tree top altitude minimum. Possibly much higher, as power lines can run across a river as an example.

Fly low is just too risky (IE. too expensive), and not worth the little rewards it provides....

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I am of course very sorry for your mishap, could happen to many of us but I do want to thank you for the post since it provides a "learning" for all of us!
Happy to help, I think.

The drone has been packed in a case with silica gel packs for 48 hours at room temp after sitting in warming range of a fire for hours after the initial accident. I can't tell at all if there's any moisture left, but everything outside looks completely dry.

I powered it on briefly and it reported a barometer error and nav error - and the camera is still dark. I shut it right back off and have it sitting in the sun on my car roof to gently warm the whole thing again and will put it back in the bag with silica packs for another couple days.

I did get the star tool needed to unscrew the drone casings, but noted small rubberized seals. I'm hesitant to remove those as I assume I'll void my warranty if I do - though splashing into a lake probably did that anyway.

FPV. Good googles, train, test. There are not really any 'depth perception' issues with FPV even in twilight. With VLOS at 50 yards I cannot judge if I am 5 inches or 5 feet from a tree; with FPV I can judge inches.

Happy to help, I think.

The drone has been packed in a case with silica gel packs for 48 hours at room temp after sitting in warming range of a fire for hours after the initial accident. I can't tell at all if there's any moisture left, but everything outside looks completely dry.

I powered it on briefly and it reported a barometer error and nav error - and the camera is still dark. I shut it right back off and have it sitting in the sun on my car roof to gently warm the whole thing again and will put it back in the bag with silica packs for another couple days.

I did get the star tool needed to unscrew the drone casings, but noted small rubberized seals. I'm hesitant to remove those as I assume I'll void my warranty if I do - though splashing into a lake probably did that anyway.

Im tempted to help out more, but Thunderdrones is the guy to speak to.

I cant remember if you had/have DJi Refresh. I think..you can still buy it after the fact
As long as you did everything right. (Crashing is ok btw, thats what they do)

Im guessing a refurb would be sent out to you pretty quick.
Your drone would be 'very' spare sparted. Probably only the plastic bits they would retain.
Once again though speak to thunder

A quick update on this...

After a total of 5 days in plastic bags, surrounded by all the desiccant packages I've accumulated over the years, my drone powered up and flew without issue.

Camera seems fine, no sensor errors, no barometer problems, no flight lag. Everything looks like it checks out.

I haven't taken it back out for a longer flight than my test, but intend to. Weather has been great and I just need a good opportunity (time).

I cant remember if you had/have DJi Refresh. I think..you can still buy it after the fact
As long as you did everything right. (Crashing is ok btw, thats what they do)
Care Refresh has a very limited time to purchase after you get your drone operational - like a week. They don't want people skipping on it, then crashing, and only then buying it after a wreck.

I did skip it, though, and opted to go with State Farm's Personal Article insurance, which they say will cover accidents where I'm at fault for the crash and it's not a malfunction.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky