DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints Features

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I just viewed the excellent Waypoints tut below. This looks like some powerful nav tech. Anyone here use this extensively for video? Does it work as well as the features/controls described in the video?
I'd like to think that if the RC signal is lost that either RTH or waypoints route completion would bring the bird back.
As a mostly stills guy, I haven't needed this. But it looks like an excellent way to capture complex scenic videos, etc.

Reactions: pelagic_one
DJI GO has gotten better with waypoints (it was really bad on first release); but if I had a job that depended on it, I would still pull out LITCHI, since they've been doing it for several years longer and in my experience, their missions give smoother flights and more options.

I haven't seen a recent, hard comparison though.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
I've heard good things about Litchi, but I have concerns about using a third party app to control so much complex hardware. If they don't keep up with some minute firmware update, could that affect flight etc? I purchased the SC to go with the M2P just so everything would be proprietary, and (hopefully) compatible.

Also, I believe the Waypoints video above did not mention gimbal tilt. Can that be spec'd in the flight plan? Adding points of interest is very useful, but the tilt could be just as critical. The terrain might call for a downshift in one area, and perhaps 30º higher nearby, etc. Any advanced Waypoints flyers know about this? THnx

I can't help with the SC. I decided not to purchase the SC after hearing about problems installing 3rd party apps.

SC aside, I doubt that firmware updates render controller apps (DJI GO, LITCHI, or otherwise) problematic. But all LITCHI would have to do is release another version using DJI's updated SDK (if the firmware required a change to that, which isn't likely). So keep all apps up to date and you should be good.

That’s disappointing. I had wondered if that would be the case. But can you power up at home then input/save waypoints for a remote location?
The video I viewed (above)stated that a library of waypoint routes could be stored. Does the drone really need to be powered for those operations?

I can't help with the SC. I decided not to purchase the SC after hearing about problems installing 3rd party apps.

SC aside, I doubt that firmware updates render controller apps (DJI GO, LITCHI, or otherwise) problematic. But all LITCHI would have to do is release another version using DJI's updated SDK (if the firmware required a change to that, which isn't likely). So keep all apps up to date and you should be good.

Litchi works fine on the SC.

That’s disappointing. I had wondered if that would be the case. But can you power up at home then input/save waypoints for a remote location?
The video I viewed (above)stated that a library of waypoint routes could be stored. Does the drone really need to be powered for those operations?
That's what I've been doing...power up the drone without the props, set your waypoints and save them. Then call up your saved route when you're ready to fly.
One problem I encountered - I had the route set to complete the mission if the RC signal is lost, at one point I did lose the signal and waited a while for the drone to complete the mission and come home. As the drone flew to a closer waypoint and the signal returned, I noticed it was stuck hovering at the waypoint. I gave it a few minutes, but it never resumed so I hit the RTH button.
I'm a little nervous to try that again. What if the drone had stopped and hovered at one of the waypoints that was out of range?
I guess it would RTH once the battery got low but why take the chance??
I went through the route again to see if I had made any mistakes, but couldn't find anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925