DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ways to prevent crashing?

Hello, I recently crashed my Mini 2 into a tree and now I'm on my last DJI care repair. Any ways to maybe prevent some crashing? Especially in things like flying around buildings, or places where crashing is most common, any anti-crashing practices that people usually do?
It is kind of like driving a car. Be aware of your surroundings.......

In addition to all the great suggestions above, our work suggests that many crashes can be avoided using a proper pre-flight checklist and post-flight process to get into a good maintenance routine. You would be surprised how often our well-trained operators identify issue that avoid potential crashes just by following the boring checklists.
In addition, we recommend limiting flight time for each operator or switching operators to minimize flying under stress.

Welp, speaking from personal experience, never get your drone caught in a tree. That happened to me last week. Fortunately for me, I was shooting for a non-profit that plants flower beds around town, and the local parks department bailed me out, by bringing in a cherry picker. The drone was plucked from the branch it was caught on, and returned to me unscathed. Lesson learned. Stay the hell away from trees, lol.

Reactions: rwilliam99
I glanced through replies, it might have been mentioned.

1. Pre flight checks of site and settings, right through home point record and check on the map.
2. Know your drone, settings and functions and when to use what.
3. In pre flight checks, you should know what obstacles are within your flight area, avoid them or be extra careful passing them.
4. Be very wary if RTH (auto or manual) and battery levels, know what wind is doing and plan to land with 20% battery.

Hopefully you can learn from near misses and various incidents where you do manage to get home safely.
It takes time and those experiences / learning curves to get to be a better drone pilot, with a little luck you will get through ok without major cost or inconvenience.

Reactions: old man mavic