DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We need more comprehensive app features

StratMasterSP

Reactions
I'm using DJI GO and GS PRO. Both apps run pretty well once you figure out how to use them. It seems though, that some development needs to be done to make these, and other apps more versatile.
For instance:
As far as I know, the only way, at this point, to do a sideways flyby shoot, is to do it manually. It shouldn't be too hard to enable that to be programmed into a waypoint mission.
Also, a mission planner which can run on a Mac or PC that can be transferred to the GSP or GO app would be nice.
It would also be nice to have control over all flight and camera parameters in a waypoint mission even between points.
The ability to manually record a flight path and then convert it into an editable mission.

I don't know if any of these things are out yet, or on the way, but they should be. If not, hopefully I planted a seed.

I'm using DJI GO and GS PRO. Both apps run pretty well once you figure out how to use them. It seems though, that some development needs to be done to make these, and other apps more versatile.
For instance:
As far as I know, the only way, at this point, to do a sideways flyby shoot, is to do it manually. It shouldn't be too hard to enable that to be programmed into a waypoint mission.
Also, a mission planner which can run on a Mac or PC that can be transferred to the GSP or GO app would be nice.
It would also be nice to have control over all flight and camera parameters in a waypoint mission even between points.
The ability to manually record a flight path and then convert it into an editable mission.

I don't know if any of these things are out yet, or on the way, but they should be. If not, hopefully I planted a seed.

What is a sideways flyby? Why do you need a mission planner that can run on a MAC or PC? If you're using a 3rd party app you plan the mission right on the device you're using to control the other parameters however; Google Earth allows you plan missions and they can be uploaded to AutoPilot.

Everything your gripe is about is already available, just not in the GoApp.

Ok. Got the Litchi app. It covers most of the functions I'm trying to get. Problem is it won't work properly with Mission Hub. Signed in on both the app and hub. App doesn't see any missions saved on the hub, and hub doesn't see any missions saved on the app. Anybody else having this issue?

What is a sideways flyby? Why do you need a mission planner that can run on a MAC or PC? If you're using a 3rd party app you plan the mission right on the device you're using to control the other parameters however; Google Earth allows you plan missions and they can be uploaded to AutoPilot.

Everything your gripe is about is already available, just not in the GoApp.
Facing the POI and flying sideways to capture a shoreline for instance. Its way easier to program a mission on a desktop or laptop large screen than it is to use your phone or tablet. Sometimes you need to ask a few questions to find out stuff you didn't know. I figured this was a good place to do that. Now I know. Thanks for your input.

There are a lot of cinematic/aerial photography requirements DJI should talk to someone about so they can include them as flying modes. The software is there and it works superbly. It is a shame it is not being used to its full capabilities.

For starters, how about making the "Tripod" mode a logical one instead of the absurdity of having very precise, slow speed for the right stick vectors and regular speeds for the left stick ones (in controller mode 2).

What is the point of having a smooth tracking of a subject in sideways and back/forward flight if the thing zooms up or down at high speed once the left stick is actuated?

MK

Facing the POI and flying sideways to capture a shoreline for instance. Its way easier to program a mission on a desktop or laptop large screen than it is to use your phone or tablet. Sometimes you need to ask a few questions to find out stuff you didn't know. I figured this was a good place to do that. Now I know. Thanks for your input.

Coming from someone who sometimes plans flights at home and then goes to the location to fly them, you still have to be careful because although accurate, the maps aren't always "spot on" meaning; let's assume you're doing a "reveal shot" close to a POI. Everything looks good on your map on the app but when you get to the location you get your UAV in the air and arm it and send it to it's first waypoint to start the mission and it looks good but at the other end the coordinates were off a bit? I've been in situations where the GPS coordinates have been off by as much as 15 - 20 ft. On an open shoreline you have no problems but what if you planned your mission at home and ran it in the field beyond 200ft from your home point? With your first waypoint being close to where you take off and the second one being 200ft away next to a lighthouse. There is no OA on the sides of the Mavic and at 200ft, depth perception is a problem.

If you're new to flying I would suggest lots of non-waypoint flying so you can train your eyes to understand what you're seeing on screen. Although never quite accurate without some sort of computer assist, it helps a lot to be able to guess how close you really are to an POI or Object.

I started training myself on translating depth perception with the drone by flying close to objects within 10 feet of where I was so I could register that size of the object with how it looked on the screen and that helped a lot (with my Solo and Inspire). My issue is, I hope I don't lose that skill since they are putting OA on most new drones.

Reactions: SteelFlyer
There are a lot of cinematic/aerial photography requirements DJI should talk to someone about so they can include them as flying modes. The software is there and it works superbly. It is a shame it is not being used to its full capabilities.

For starters, how about making the "Tripod" mode a logical one instead of the absurdity of having very precise, slow speed for the right stick vectors and regular speeds for the left stick ones (in controller mode 2).

What is the point of having a smooth tracking of a subject in sideways and back/forward flight if the thing zooms up or down at high speed once the left stick is actuated?

MK

I still think my 3DR Solo has the best "cinematic" flight software.

I have Autopilot and Litchi.

I am having a ball with Litchi. :p

I would prefer to use Autopilot and will, most probably, in the future as it is a more complete tool.

It would be great if Autopilot introduced something like Mission Hub. I find the ability to calmly plan a mission offline on a large screen and then save it for future use on the field a huge bonus.

As it stands, in what regards to Autopilot, I am still in the phase of understanding if I can use KML files with it. From what I read, it seems it can use them but I can't figure out how to open one in the app.

I contacted their support about this and am waiting for an answer.

MK

Coming from someone who sometimes plans flights at home and then goes to the location to fly them, you still have to be careful because although accurate, the maps aren't always "spot on" meaning; let's assume you're doing a "reveal shot" close to a POI. Everything looks good on your map on the app but when you get to the location you get your UAV in the air and arm it and send it to it's first waypoint to start the mission and it looks good but at the other end the coordinates were off a bit? I've been in situations where the GPS coordinates have been off by as much as 15 - 20 ft. On an open shoreline you have no problems but what if you planned your mission at home and ran it in the field beyond 200ft from your home point? With your first waypoint being close to where you take off and the second one being 200ft away next to a lighthouse. There is no OA on the sides of the Mavic and at 200ft, depth perception is a problem.

If you're new to flying I would suggest lots of non-waypoint flying so you can train your eyes to understand what you're seeing on screen. Although never quite accurate without some sort of computer assist, it helps a lot to be able to guess how close you really are to an POI or Object.

I started training myself on translating depth perception with the drone by flying close to objects within 10 feet of where I was so I could register that size of the object with how it looked on the screen and that helped a lot (with my Solo and Inspire). My issue is, I hope I don't lose that skill since they are putting OA on most new drones.

You're right about the accuracy element. There was an instance where I used a dock as a homepoint. When I did an RTH the drone almost missed it by a few yards. Would have ended up in the lake. Fortunately, I had line of sight and was able to abort the landing. While it's probably better to set up a sequence on site, Having the ability to set up a complex mission before hand gives you the opportunity to do a test run on site and then make whatever changes need to be made before doing the final shoot.

I would prefer to use Autopilot and will, most probably, in the future as it is a more complete tool.

It would be great if Autopilot introduced something like Mission Hub. I find the ability to calmly plan a mission offline on a large screen and then save it for future use on the field a huge bonus.

As it stands, in what regards to Autopilot, I am still in the phase of understanding if I can use KML files with it. From what I read, it seems it can use them but I can't figure out how to open one in the app.

MK
Were you able to get Mission hub to work with the app? I seem to be having an issue getting saved missions on the hub to load into the app.

MK

You can plan missions with Google Earth (from a desktop or laptop), save them to dropbox and upload them into AutoPilot. I've done it multiple times. If you plan in Google Earth, you save the KML file to your desk/laptop. I save the file and them move it to my dropbox, with dropbox on the mobile device you'll be using, go to the file and open it from there. It will upload the mission into AutoPilot. There's a weird step you have to do with making the KML file available offline (on your mobile device) before AutoPilot will see it though.

@StratMasterSP - I don't use Mission Hub but if Litchi uses Waypoints, I don't think Autopilot will see those waypoints if you import the KML file. Google Earth uses "paths" which translate to waypoints in Autopilot when opened. If I have time over the next couple of days, maybe I'll create a video tutorial using Google Earth.

@StratMasterSP - I don't use Mission Hub but if Litchi uses Waypoints, I don't think Autopilot will see those waypoints if you import the KML file. Google Earth uses "paths" which translate to waypoints in Autopilot when opened. If I have time over the next couple of days, maybe I'll create a video tutorial using Google Earth.
Just started using the Litchi app. It mostly does what I need it to do. Can't seem to get it to work with the Mission hub, but the app just doesn't feel solid from a programming point of view. Seems to have a few annoying bugs. Contacted support. We'll see what they say.

Just started using the Litchi app. It mostly does what I need it to do. Can't seem to get it to work with the Mission hub, but the app just doesn't feel solid from a programming point of view. Seems to have a few annoying bugs. Contacted support. We'll see what they say.

You're planning your Mission on the computer, saving it and you can't open it in Litchi? I just signed up with Mission Hub. Logged into on my desktop, created a Test Mission, saved it. Logged in to Litchi on my iPad. It took about a minute for the options to appear on the left of the screen that allowed me to "open" the mission(s), I saved. What problem are you having?

IMG_9616.JPG IMG_9617.JPG

Missions saved on the hub are not visible in the app and missions saved on the app are not visible on the hub.

and I'm sure you're logged into both platforms? If you are, I would suggest deleting the app from your mobile device and re-installing it.

Were you able to get Mission hub to work with the app? I seem to be having an issue getting saved missions on the hub to load into the app.

Yes.

It takes a while (hours) for everything to work seemliness but, from there on, it's a breeze.

Make sure you logged in correctly in the app. If I remember correctly, I was having the same problem you're having because the app allowed me to use it without logging in and without anywhere to do so until, finally, on the 4th or 5th attempt it finally requested the login.

It now works super because, it seems to receive the mission (from the Litchi server, once they were uploaded from the Mission Hub) in a "background" mode, as long as the iPad is connect to a network.

My iPad Mini4 is Wifi only and I usually use it on location with my Android Tab providing an 4G hotspot for it to connect to.

The other day, I arrived on location and realized I had left my Samsung S2 home. Upon checking the Litchi app on the iPad I found the missions I had created a few hours earlier, at home, where already available. :)

MK

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke