DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak GPS notification

Amdrone

Reactions
I Am having a problem with a weak GPS signal almost every flight. I'm flying in fairly populated areas. I've got my part 107 and working on real estate projects. For the most part I just deal with it, I've been an RC pilot for years. It's a pain going in and out of ATTI mode though! Today I wanted to experiment with orbit and it would not allow. It gave the message "weak gps signal" although at this point the drone was flying on between 8-11 sats. I'm open for all help. I love the Mavic Air and want to start learning all the options available.

I seldom fly further than 5-600' distance and 250-300' altitude, always LOS. A customer has requested a 350' altitude orbit. It's frustrating not being able to experiment with the modes. If it is Magnetic interference is there a solution?

If the controller doesn't indicate magnetic interference, then that is an unlikely cause and wouldn't affect the strength of the GPS signal in any case. I agree, calibrating IMU, Compass, and obstacle avoidance sensors occasionally is good practice.

For this problem, you might try using a GPS app on you cell phone to check sat coverage to compare with the signal shown on your remote.

not sure , using waypoint mode may solve the problem , the drone wont depend on your controller for instructions. its a possibility, on my mavic 2 pro there is an option to continue mission on loss of signal. if you set the last point near you . you should be ok

Could be your drone. You shouldn’t have that problem at that altitude

I Am having a problem with a weak GPS signal almost every flight. I'm flying in fairly populated areas. I've got my part 107 and working on real estate projects. For the most part I just deal with it, I've been an RC pilot for years. It's a pain going in and out of ATTI mode though! Today I wanted to experiment with orbit and it would not allow. It gave the message "weak gps signal" although at this point the drone was flying on between 8-11 sats. I'm open for all help. I love the Mavic Air and want to start learning all the options available.
If you are using an Apple device, then this problem can occur, especially if it is without supporting a SIM card. They do not have a GPS receiver. I use an iPad mini with a SIM card and the problem remains. DJI did not work with the software for the Apple product, and if I try to return home to the remote control and not to the take-off place, I also get a GPS Signal Weak message, this is not in the android. This is a very old problem and DJI has not been in a hurry to solve it for so many years.

This is wrong. The drone itself has the gas reciever. It does not use the Apple device gps capability at all except to download maps in new locations. Whatever is going on is a problem between the drone and the GPS transmitters in the sky. For the GPS to work properly, you must have clear paths to 8-16 satellites in the sky, all of which are in constant motion. Anything metallic on the top of the drone, or buildings, canyon walls, trees etc are candidates for problems.

Reactions: Thomas B
Read this topic for a start, well, in general, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the technical part, what functions you lose in drones if your tablet or phone does not have GPS.

If you are using an Apple device, then this problem can occur, especially if it is without supporting a SIM card. They do not have a GPS receiver. I use an iPad mini with a SIM card and the problem remains. DJI did not work with the software for the Apple product, and if I try to return home to the remote control and not to the take-off place, I also get a GPS Signal Weak message, this is not in the android. This is a very old problem and DJI has not been in a hurry to solve it for so many years.
This seems crazy, They (DJI) promote the orbit and I would assume the follow me features, then when I need to use them they don't work? I am using an I phone 6.

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
This is wrong. The drone itself has the gas reciever. It does not use the Apple device gps capability at all except to download maps in new locations. Whatever is going on is a problem between the drone and the GPS transmitters in the sky. For the GPS to work properly, you must have clear paths to 8-16 satellites in the sky, all of which are in constant motion. Anything metallic on the top of the drone, or buildings, canyon walls, trees etc are candidates for problems.
This may be the problem? My FAA # is printed with one of those metallic label makers???

Last edited:
IMG_4241.jpg Better picture. Would it be advisable to remove this label and try again?

This seems crazy, They (DJI) promote the orbit and I would assume the follow me features, then when I need to use them they don't work? I am using an I phone 6.
Yes, I encountered this problem when I had Mavic Air and I had a regular iPad mini without supporting a SIM card. Some functions did not work. And now I have Mavic 2 and the function of returning home (where I am with the remote control) does not work, writes GPS Weak Signal. Already a lot of pilots turned to DJI, but the problem has not been resolved, but everything works well on android.

Yes, I encountered this problem when I had Mavic Air and I had a regular iPad mini without supporting a SIM card. Some functions did not work. And now I have Mavic 2 and the function of returning home (where I am with the remote control) does not work, writes GPS Weak Signal. Already a lot of pilots turned to DJI, but the problem has not been resolved, but everything works well on android.
FWIW The GPS works the same with or without a Sim card. Although they are installed together they are completely separate.
Furthermore I’ve flown both my phantom four and my Mavic two with an iPad Mini two with no GPS at all and no issues.
The only thing I can’t do is reset the home point.
Perhaps there is some issue with the Mavic air but in general it’s not an issue.

Reactions: Mr Shamrok

You are confusing different functions. For flight control the drone doesn't use the mobile device GPS data - it has its own GPS receiver. The only functionality lost if the mobile device doesn't have a GPS receiver is the ability to reset the home point to the location of the controller or to use one of the "follow me" modes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackhour