DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weaponizing the Mavic 3

An interesting article with a surprising level of detail on the efforts to achieve armor defeating capabilities with a Mavic 3 payload:

MAVIC 3 NOT METIONED IN YOUR NYTIMES ARTICLE RELATED TO UKRAIN BOMBING TANKS WITH DRONES.
The article you mention is NYTimes, a very USA Government manipulated news outlet. We all know our govs opinion on DJI. My article make no mention of DJI. They can't lift the payload needed.

Last edited:
They rewarded the one kid at the white house for buying an alarm clock from radio shack. The possibilities are endless.
Are you talking about the 14 y0 kid in 2015 who took pieces of an alarm clock and put them in a brief case sized box for his engineering class.

His engineering teacher said it was great but don't show anybody, because it looks like a bomb.

Then the kid shows his English teacher and actually activates the alarm. The English teacher then reports him to the principal, who then calls the police. He gets handcuffed for an hour and 1/2. He's expelled from school, but no charges by the police were filed. But still he remained expelled. The family tried suing the school and the media. The suites were rejected by the courts.

THAT IS BULL. That poor kid. It's not right what they did to him or put him through.

Are you talking about the 14 y0 kid in 2015 who took pieces of an alarm clock and put them in a brief case sized box for his engineering class.

His engineering teacher said it was great but don't show anybody, because it looks like a bomb.

Then the kid shows his English teacher and actually activates the alarm. The English teacher then reports him to the principal, who then calls the police. He gets handcuffed for an hour and 1/2. He's expelled from school, but no charges by the police were filed. But still he remained expelled. The family tried suing the school and the media. The suites were rejected by the courts.

THAT IS BULL. That poor kid. It's not right what they did to him or put him through.
Obama praised him, that's the one I was talking about. Couldn't figure out what you were talking about was the same guy.

What about this drone?

DJI S1000+​

This is one of the cheapest RC drones for sale and it also might just be the best. This lightweight octacopter has eight powerful motors which can fold up to save space. But that portability doesn’t come at the expense of convenience – the S1000+ can be set up in only a few minutes.

Beyond that, you’re getting a durable carbon fiber body, a 4 pound weight limit (most professional cameras come in at about 2.5 pounds including the lens) and a 25 minute flight time, all at a cost of only $1,500. If you’re looking for an all-around good gas powered drone backed by the DJI reputation for quality, look no further.

Features:

DJI S1000+ gas powered drones specs

• Low cost of $1500 USD
• Can carry 4 pounds of weight
• 25 minute flight time
• Most portable gas powered drone
• Removable central board
I'm not sure where to start. Firstly, the S1000+ isn't made anymore. Secondly, it's not gas powered. Thirdly, while it's quieter than a main battle tank, that's not by much, making it of marginal use for any kind of stealthy operation. And it was never available for $1500. I've seen it for $4k.

If you want to go into combat on a budget with a decent carry capacity, this drone makes better sense than a mav 3. Maybe they are using the mav 3 classic. It's a bit cheaper. But I would do a little more research if I was going to try and damage or disable a tank. WHEN DISABLING TANKS, THE MAIN GOAL IS TO DAMAGE THE TRACKS THAT PROPEL THE TANK. THE GOAL IS TO DISABLE IT'S MOVEMENT.
That's incorrect. There are numerous ways to attack tanks, often dependent on their armor. The method referred to here is a shaped-charge attack from above, which is generally less well protected.

I am suspicious of this WEAPONIZED DJI M3 article. I THINK IT'S AN ATTACK ON DJI. I THINK GOVERNMENTS ARE WORRIED ABOUT HOW ACCURATE THEY ARE AND HOW EASILY WEAPONAIZED THEY CAN BECOME.
I don't want to look like I'm trying to shut down an interesting discussion on a thread that I started, but your imagination is far outrunning your knowledge. The work described in the article is both plausible and reasonable, and in line with similar work done elsewhere.

Reactions: Don Testme
I don't want to look like I'm trying to shut down an interesting discussion on a thread that I started, but your imagination is far outrunning your knowledge. The work described in the article is both plausible and reasonable, and in line with similar work done elsewhere.
I'll end my comments

I'll end my comments
That wasn't my goal - I was just a little frustrated that you would dismiss the article as fake news without any evidence to support that view, and when it is already well-established that this particular platform has achieved significant popularity for these purposes.

Reactions: Don Testme
I'll end my comments
at the end of the day, its not about whats better or more cost effective or what has a better payload. Its availability. Many mavic 3s were purchased and donated/sent to Ukraine from many sources. They have lots of them and they are very easy to use and setup with good range. They need a very small footprint to support and operate.
I dont know about tanks, but there have been plenty of these poor suckers, hugging each other in foxholes trying to stay warm, that are getting wake up calls from above.

An interesting article with a surprising level of detail on the efforts to achieve armor defeating capabilities with a Mavic 3 payload:

Here is another article with more information and more links within the article. IN THE ARTICLES 1ST IMAGE IT SHOWS THAT THEY HAVE 254 MAVIC 3S IN SERVICE. See the right lower corner of the image.
Ukraine-drone-army-low.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104