DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weight Lift

Unless your flying over a large body of water like a lake or the ocean I suggest you do not even attempt this.

Worst case scenario with a high probability of happening is that some burning piece of this thing drops off and hits the ground still on fire. What happens after that will be an epic disaster if it lands on someone's house or dry grass.

Rob

Last edited:
Unless your flying over a large body of water like a lake or the ocean I suggest you do not even attempt this.

Worst case scenario with a high probability of happening is that some burning piece of this thing drops off and hits the ground still on fire. What happens after that can be an epic disaster if it lands on someone's house or dry grass.

Rob

Hmmm.. thats true...

Please do this and post a video!

If I do this, its gonna be next year since only in Chinese New Year do we RIP out all the arsenal and light up the skies..
LOL..

By then I bet more than 90% of you guys won't even remember me.. haha

Sounds like a dumb idea if you don't mind me saying so.

Last edited:
Nah, trying to lift some flaring fireworks is good enough for me... haha.. cool idea though.. haha

You'll be sorry! Some day someone is going to do it and you'll see it on the news. I guarantee it!

You'll be sorry! Some day someone is going to do it and you'll see it on the news. I guarantee it!

I'm pretty much not the only person to do this... so I won't be the last one to do so..

Nope, nothing to be sorry about... the person who should be sorry will be the one who does this without proper planning and safety in mind..
and that won't be me..

I'm pretty much not the only person to do this... so I won't be the last one to do so..

Nope, nothing to be sorry about... the person who should be sorry will be the one who does this without proper planning and safety in mind..
and that won't be me..

Jesus.:(

Well, tried looking for the vid I saw of some guys doing it.. couldn't find it anymore..

what I did find is people attaching rocket fireworks on their drone and lighting it up and fly..
Now that, I won't do at all

I saw a video recently where someone put Roman candles on their Phantom and they lit them and then chased the guys shooting at them

Reactions: Cerberus
I saw a video recently where someone put Roman candles on their Phantom and they lit them and then chased the guys shooting at them

Yeap... this is one of the ones I saw..

the other I found, have the ominous title saying they attached some firework on the drone and accidentally shot a friend in the face..
naturally, I didn't even open the video to look...

No cure for stoopid
Post the video when u do it matey

This has to be a wind up Shirley?

before I do it, gonna do some test first..and make sure of safety of course

not even sure our Mavic can handle 1.3kg of weight lift..
if I hear the motors straining to lift it up, I probably won't do it..

so it all depends now.

with your Mavic..

Anyone done it? whats the max weight it can lift?

I'm thinking of stringing up some fireworks below my Mavic on CNY and fly it up for some serious fireworks..
so trying to gather data before I attempt this crazy idea next year..

:)
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TERRIBLE IDEA!

I saw another vid where a guy lifted a water bottle with around 2kg of weight to it..

it barely makes it, but it did lift.. but can hear the strain on the mavic prop trying to achieve flight..

not sure I wanna put my bird through this kind of stress..

well, I went home to weigh the firecrackers, with the box it is rough 1.3kg... could be slightly lighter without the box..
shrugs..

I was playing around with a lighting rig for my Mavic pro, to maybe use for search n rescue with my fire dept. or night lighting for photo shoots. I decided to get those LED lights that some intermediate photographers use for set lighting. Many of them are very light, and put off an extremely bright light. I went with 1-5x7 228bulb LED light, and 2-4x4 96bulb LED lights. The mounting brackets attached to the Mavic weighed out at 120g / 0.26lb. The 5x7 light, with battery (which weighs almost as much as the light) weighed in just shy of a pound at 435g / 0.96lb. The two 4x4 lights,together, with batteries only weighed in at 220g / 0.46lb. That's a total of 775g / 1.7lbs. With all three lights attached It lifted off quite easily, it flew ok and hovered just fine, (I didn't fly it hard, but I didn't just let it hover either) but right at a minute, each time tested, I got an "ESC/motors high temp warning, So I landed it immediately.. It did the same thing with aftermarket, light weight props, carbon fiber props, and the Flash-Word LED props.(All props were the newer low noise design).

I removed the two side 4x4 lights, which combined (5.5w. 800 lumen each) put out less light than the 5x7 light, (20w,2000 lumen) so it's still lights up a decent size area at an altitude of about 20-30ft. / 7-9m. With the aftermarket lightweight props, and just the one light, there was a really bad, shaky wobble. I tried re-securing the light to the mount, making sure everything was tightened down and snug, still got the bad wobble. With the Flash-Word LED props, the wobble was less, almost tolerable, but it drifted a little when trying to hover. With the carbon fiber props, there was almost no wobble at all, only after a sudden stop or turn, it would wobble slightly for a couple seconds, then hover normally. I flew the carbon fiber test around 5-6min, flying a little agressive a few times, and never got any ESC/motors heat warning. With the light weight props only, the wobbling caused an "unstable gimbal" error.

I'm working on a bigger light set up using the DJI 550, and a water cooled LED light that is 1000w, 35,000 lumen, I'll post results on a misc. thread when I get done with that project.

Lights full power.jpgLights lowest power.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Magilla Gorilla

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78