DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weight limits for registration and Part 107 ops

pchaps

Reactions
As I learn the exact language of weight limits, I find it interesting that for the registration exception the verbiage reads “...0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams). Is there some logic eg why they wouldn’t just state less than .55 pounds (249 grams or less)?

Therefore, a 250g sUAV would need to be registered even for a recreational flyer?

Then for the upper weight limit, of “less than 55 pounds,” means that a 55 pound sUAV violates the limit, and would be disallowed (or require a waiver?)

Also, my understanding is that even a 1 ounce drone, if one existed, if used commercially, would still be subject to both a registration and a part 107 certificated operator—did I get that right?

For registration numbers to be displayed for commercial use, for multiple aircraft, is the same number used? Even if so, must you add the additionally added sUavs to your list at the FAA?

Last edited:
As I learn the exact language of weight limits, I find it interesting that for the registration exception the verbiage reads “...0.55 pounds or less (less that 250 grams). Is there some logic eg why they wouldn’t just state less than .55 pounds or less (249 grams or less)?
It's a gov't regulation, don't look for logic.
Also, my understanding is that even a 1 ounce drone, if one existed, if used commercially, would still be subject to both a registration and a part 107 certificated operator—did I get that right?
Anything used to fly under 107 needs to be uniquely registered. And 107 is the default rules under which we fly, the recreational rules are the exception. So yes, anything outside a purely recreational flight must be flown under 107. Weight doesn't matter.
For registration numbers to be displayed for commercial use, for multiple aircraft, is the same number used? Even if so, USF the additionally added sUavs added to your list at the FAA?
Each non-recreational (107) drone must have it's unique registration number. Only recreational drones have the same number on them. And I don't understand the second part of this question.

As I learn the exact language of weight limits, I find it interesting that for the registration exception the verbiage reads “...0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams). Is there some logic eg why they wouldn’t just state less than .55 pounds or less (249 grams or less)?

Therefore, a 250g would need to be registered even for a recreational flyer?

Then for the upper weight limit, of “less than 55 pounds,” means that a 55 pound sUAV violates the limit, and would be disallowed (or require a waiver?)

For registration numbers to be displayed for commercial use, for multiple aircraft, is the same number used? Even if so, must you add the additionally added sUavs added to your list at the FAA?

For recreational operations, the pilot is issued a single registration number that is used on their aircraft. For commercial operations, a separate registration and number are required for each aircraft, so yes, all aircraft are listed with the FAA.

I'm not clear on your question about weights.

You suggest " less than .55 pounds or less (249 grams or less)?" Setting the redundancy aside, are you just suggesting that the weight limit in grams should be <249 rather than <250?

As I learn the exact language of weight limits, I find it interesting that for the registration exception the verbiage reads “...0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams). Is there some logic eg why they wouldn’t just state less than .55 pounds or less (249 grams or less)?

Therefore, a 250g would need to be registered even for a recreational flyer?
.55 lbs is 249.476 grams so yes technically a 250g drone would need to be registered. They have said it both ways; .55 lbs or less and less than 250 grams. I’m not sure it’s necessary to say the cut off weight in additional terms.

It's a gov't regulation, don't look for logic.

Anything used to fly under 107 needs to be uniquely registered. And 107 is the default rules under which we fly, the recreational rules are the exception. So yes, anything outside a purely recreational flight must be flown under 107. Weight doesn't matter.

Each non-recreational (107) drone must have it's unique registration number. Only recreational drones have the same number on them. And I don't understand the second part of this question.
Thanks especially for clarification on a unique registration number for each drone under Part 107.

For recreational operations, the pilot is issued a single registration number that is used on their aircraft. For commercial operations, a separate registration and number are required for each aircraft, so yes, all aircraft are listed with the FAA.

You suggest " less than .55 pounds or less (249 grams or less)?" Setting the redundancy aside, are you just suggesting that the weight limit in grams should be <249 rather than <250?

I see, then 249g or less. But now I see the conversion and so I will never forget this. Thanks.

.55 lbs is 249.476 grams so yes technically a 250g drone would need to be registered. They have said it both ways; .55 lbs or less and less than 250 grams. I’m not sure it’s necessary to say the cut off weight in additional
Your comment is so straightforward and just what I needed. Now its forever clear to me. Just one of the moments with smoke coming from my ears when I didn’t get something and now it ‘clicked.’

It follows that prop guards on a Mini 2 could put it over the weight limit for fly over people per Part 107?

It follows that prop guards on a Mini 2 could put it over the weight limit for fly over people per Part 107?
Sadly, yes. A stock prop guard puts a Mini 2 well over 249g.

A little searching on the forum will turn up some approaches using lighter Japan-market DJI batteries and taking a dremel tool to a stock prop cage.

Which sounds good, but the Japan batts are not straightforward to source.

Here’s one of the threads:

Be sure to check out @Vic Moss link where he details his project.

I got in a new Fuzion BX1000 scale. Weight limit of 1000g. About $18.30 from Amazon. I started in to weigh things:

Mini 2 (with motor covers) 165.9 g (without battery)
246.3 g (with battery)
+ DJI blade guard 292.1 g
+ Strobe 303.4 g
Battery alone 80.8 g

Since I believe a blade guard would protect people and things, I would hope that in the future the powers that be would see the wisdom in allowing the addition of that weight (in this case the very effective DJI blade guard) to the drone. If it runs into someone, or falls on them from above, they are protected.

Last edited:
I got in a new Fuzion BX1000 scale. Weight limit of 1000g. About $18.30 from Amazon. I started in to weigh things:

Mini 2 (with motor covers) 165.9 g (without battery)
246.3 g (with battery)
+ DJI blade guard 292.1 g
+ Strobe 303.4 g
Battery alone 80.8 g

Since I believe a blade guard would protect people and things, I would hope that in the future the powers that be would see the wisdom in allowing the addition of that weight (in this case the very effective DJI blade guard) to the drone. If it runs into someone, or falls on them from above, they are protected.
The rules are going to be the same regardless. If you're adding weight you're going to need to register it anyways, just because extra means were taken to protect against possible injury won't excuse having not registered the drone.

Only difference right now recreational is $5 out of your pocket for your whole fleet versus not having it registered without adding on stuff. you would still have to follow all the same rules either way.

The rules are going to be the same regardless. If you're adding weight you're going to need to register it anyways, just because extra means were taken to protect against possible injury won't excuse having not registered the drone.

Only difference right now recreational is $5 out of your pocket for your whole fleet versus not having it registered without adding on stuff. you would still have to follow all the same rules either way.
Good points. Now to study up on registering this Mini 2. Logic is not on my side :)

Good points. Now to study up on registering this Mini 2. Logic is not on my side :)
Registration is easy for either recreational or 107. And for recreational the TRUST test isn't bad (most of them walk you thru online before asking you the questions). The actual test for the part 107 would need a little study. But registration, pretty easy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143