DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird issue - Gimbal twitch - Mini 3 Pro w/RC

only referring to the PhantomHelp logviewer presentation
A visual presentation showing the actual flight data is indeed quite useful in this type of evaluation. Not everyone is able to look at CSV data and visualize what is happening to the drone.

the drone also yaws even though no yaw command is given with the left stick... it's in neutral position all the time
If you look at the raw data, you can see the aircraft begins the unusual yaw right after (nearly at the same instant) the OP abruptly moves the elevator to the full up position. It could be a coincidence, but it seems more likely to be the cause than a bird strike or debris dropping into the motor at that very same time.

Last edited:
A visual presentation showing the actual flight data is indeed quite useful in this type of evaluation. Not everyone is able to look at CSV data and visualize what is happening to the drone.
Never said that the Phantom Help view isn't useful... but it's very limited when it comes to conclude cases like this when at least 6 data signals needs to be looked at the same time in order to determine how they play together over the event & what causes what. Far to easy to come to the wrong conclusion that the stick commands itself make the drone move as it does & like the OP, think he needs to be more careful when commanding the drone in the future.

Plain & simple... he's commanding of the drone had nothing at all to do with what happened, he haven't any lesson to learn... more than, all man made thing's fail sooner or later.

If you look at the raw data, you can see the aircraft begins the unusual yaw right after (nearly at the same instant) the OP abruptly moves the elevator to the full up position. It could be a coincidence, but it seems more likely to be the cause than a bird strike or debris dropping into the motor at that very same time.
I look at the raw data that's provided (the same as you I guess?)... & reaching max stick deflection alone will never, shall never cause a drone to uncommanded pitch & roll heavily to the opposite side compared to how the sticks command the drone... out from the provided data we can't say anything about the root cause to this, but out from how the drone moves in pitch, roll & yaw before it again stabilize itself, all points to a momentary thrust loss from the front left... nothing more can be said without a .DAT log.

Especially one data signal gives away that this can't be something coming from just commanding the drone or it braking (with major destabilization effects on all axis)... why is the drone allowed to reach -42.9 degrees in the roll axis when the max specified is 25 degrees in Normal mode?

Never said that the Phantom Help view isn't useful
Right. I didn't say that either, so not sure how we got here.

I look at the raw data that's provided (the same as you I guess?)
Your replies are pretty combative. My apologies for ruffling your feathers. That was not my intention at all.

reaching max stick deflection alone will never, shall never cause a drone to uncommanded pitch & roll heavily to the opposite side compared to how the sticks command the drone...
Agreed. However, it could have been an ingredient in the perfect storm that caused this scenario to occur. There were certainly other things in play (like wind) since the drone was high in the sky at the time.

...However, it could have been an ingredient in the perfect storm that caused this scenario to occur. There were certainly other things in play (like wind) since the drone was high in the sky at the time.
Wind will never flip a fully functional drone... it will not make a drone roll from +10,8 degrees over to the opposite direction with -42,9 (in total that deflection is 53,7 degrees!)... wind will just make it drift with the approx. attitude that's commanded.

And of course all consists of ingredients... but some are really very much secondary & very far from the real root cause, actually too far from it to be able to say in this case, that the stick move was the cause for the out of normal attitude change.

actually too far from it to be able to say in this case, that the stick move was the cause for the out of normal attitude change
Agreed. However, that occurred right when the unusual activity started. So, it's not out of the question that an abruptly large stick movement caused the drone to do something unexpected (like brake which the log shows).

I think that's a more likely explanation than a bird strike (not seen on camera) or a bit of dirt temporarily falling into a motor. And we certainly could not rule out either of those things since we cannot disprove them with the data alone. Starting with things that are known seems more logical though.

I had an issue with my gimbal during low signal strength to my controller @ about 2300 FT out. I upload the logs to phantom help and there is 10 seconds missing during the time of the glitch

I did see and respond to a post of a similar issue, but it was Mini 2 that was landing. My initial concern was the gimbal twitch was due to low signal to the controller. However, I have return to home activated if my drone loses signal so that really shouldn’t have caused the gimbal to twitch.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

My equipment:
DJI RC (v01.03.0700 firmware)
Mini 3 Pro(v01.00.0700 - most current)
*realized this morning that there is a new firmware for the RC

Video segment from 19 Dec 2023

Log attached - missing 10 seconds starting at 5m 35.3s where the gimbal twitched.

Log attached - missing 10 seconds starting at 5m 35.3s where the gimbal twitched.

Any help or insight is appreciated.
Shawn
My Mavic 3 Pro is also having a "twitch" issue every now and then. Very annoying! I'm not sure why... I usually fly in cinematic mode for video at a very slow speed and low winds, and it stills happens. Never crashed and I've been flying DJI drones for 10 years, everything from the I2 to MM. I inspected the drone and all looks fine. If it continues, I'll have to send it in to DJI and hope for the best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas