DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird Video Shudder

Chuck715

Reactions
Has anyone seen this issue in the video captured on the SD card, not the video caching, the real footage. Fly along nice and smooth pin sharp video, then a shuddering shakes the shot. Happens at random times but always seems to be occur when moving and not while hovering. I've had 2 previous MMP and not seen this issue. Sent my drone in for repair at DJI and they sent me this replacement unit. Flies well and usually gets great video but this shuddering is killing me. Did all the usual calibrations, have all the latest firmware etc. Hopefully, link to OneDrive below will work to see an example.

Has anyone seen this issue in the video captured on the SD card, not the video caching, the real footage. Fly along nice and smooth pin sharp video, then a shuddering shakes the shot. Happens at random times but always seems to be occur when moving and not while hovering. I've had 2 previous MMP and not seen this issue. Sent my drone in for repair at DJI and they sent me this replacement unit. Flies well and usually gets great video but this shuddering is killing me. Did all the usual calibrations, have all the latest firmware etc. Hopefully, link to OneDrive below will work to see an example.

Is this from a Mavic Pro/Platinum? If so, I have experienced the same thing. I have never been able to correct it with any type of calibration or SD card. My instances occurred mostly in windy conditions.

I have a theory that there is some systemic weakness somewhere in the gimbal, either the motors or the motor cable. Over the course of two years, I have switched out 4 gimbals. Some do and some don’t. So my most direct way of correcting it is to get a new, unused gimbal. Sometimes the used MP’s that get traded in get dismantled and find their way into the parts market.

Last edited:

Mine was the SD card. To do with recording speed. Search on this site for the correct type - solved my issue.
Also, flying with the low noise props on my pro1 seems to cause it too at times in wind etc. May tilt too far for the gimbal?

Is your recording frame rate the same as playback and editing. Might be an interpolation artifact.
I need to take a look at that. I’ve always recorded in 4k 30 and playback on an iMac Pro, and ProRes 422 in FCPX.
One thought though, if it is an interpolation issue, then it should be consistently repeated.

I need to take a look at that. I’ve always recorded in 4k 30 and playback on an iMac Pro, and ProRes 422 in FCPX.
One thought though, if it is an interpolation issue, then it should be consistently repeated.
Likely.. did you vary playbaback speed of any segments in post?

Is this from a Mavic Pro/Platinum? If so, I have experienced the same thing. I have never been able to correct it with any type of calibration or SD card. My instances occurred mostly in windy conditions.

I have a theory that there is some systemic weakness somewhere in the gimbal, either the motors or the motor cable. Over the course of two years, I have switched out 4 gimbals. Some do and some don’t. So my most direct way of correcting it is to get a new, unused gimbal. Sometimes the used MP’s that get traded in get dismantled and find their way into the parts market.
Yes, its a Platinum. After having two "refurbished" units from the DJI repair process, I've come to feel that drones are like snowflakes, no two are alike. They may test perfect on the bench and short test flights but in practice, they each seem to have their own characteristics. What you say, may be what I am dealing with here. Another post mentioned strong winds and I am going to look into that because I can say that most of the fights I have made with this drone have been since I got it back from DJI in the October and I had been particularly windy.

Mine was the SD card. To do with recording speed. Search on this site for the correct type - solved my issue.
Also, flying with the low noise props on my pro1 seems to cause it too at times in wind etc. May tilt too far for the gimbal?
I have been using the 128GB SD card that DJI provide with my original fly more package. Haven't had this issue with the two previous MPP that used this same SD. I am thinking about this wind issue you mention because most, if not all the times I've had this issue was since I got the drone back from DJI in early October and it had been windy, maybe 10 to 15 mph. I have to run a few flight tests during calm conditions to see if this might be my issue. Thanks.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
No. I see the effect on the raw footage files I copy from the drone to my desktop. In post I only clipped out the sections with the issue to put on the forum.
You had me thinking and re-thinking about this issue so much last night that I lost sleep. o_O

I now think my #2 post is not necessarily correct. Rather than go into a long dissertation of my new theory, try this...

Make a flight where you see the "ripple", either in the video clip or FPV. Then change your propellers to a new set, or preferably to a set of MAS props. Fly again to see if you see a ripple. If you don't have a different set of props, add an ND filter to the lens. See if the ripple goes away.

This is something I'm going to try the next time it happens to me. If it doesn't work, well then back to the drawing board. ?

Reactions: Davros007
You had me thinking and re-thinking about this issue so much last night that I lost sleep. o_O

I now think my #2 post is not necessarily correct. Rather than go into a long dissertation of my new theory, try this...

Make a flight where you see the "ripple", either in the video clip or FPV. Then change your propellers to a new set, or preferably to a set of MAS props. Fly again to see if you see a ripple. If you don't have a different set of props, add an ND filter to the lens. See if the ripple goes away.

This is something I'm going to try the next time it happens to me. If it doesn't work, well then back to the drawing board. ?
I agree about the props being the likely culprit or a piece of shipping tape left on the back of the gimbal.

I tried a new set of factory props and still had the ripple effect. I did also check for tape on the gimbal because I had gotten bit by that issue before. Flew today and its fairly calm, maybe 3-4 mph, and first 10 minutes flight was perfect no ripple, so maybe is was gusty wind related. Then ran a second fight and got 1 ripple, so that kind of killed the wind theory. I don't know, its a mystery and usually I can get great video and can cut out the ripples in post, but its annoying for sure. Thanks.

I tried a new set of factory props and still had the ripple effect. I did also check for tape on the gimbal because I had gotten bit by that issue before. Flew today and its fairly calm, maybe 3-4 mph, and first 10 minutes flight was perfect no ripple, so maybe is was gusty wind related. Then ran a second fight and got 1 ripple, so that kind of killed the wind theory. I don't know, its a mystery and usually I can get great video and can cut out the ripples in post, but its annoying for sure. Thanks.
Also, forgot... not sure what ND filter is. I will look in to that.

Try adding an ND filter to change the mass of the gimbal. If you don’t have one, add some bubble gum. If that doesn’t work, then my theory is no good! ?

This problem is really frustrating?. I haven’t had this problem with my new MPP, but it could happen. And it really ruins a video!

I have been using the 128GB SD card that DJI provide with my original fly more package. Haven't had this issue with the two previous MPP that used this same SD. I am thinking about this wind issue you mention because most, if not all the times I've had this issue was since I got the drone back from DJI in early October and it had been windy, maybe 10 to 15 mph. I have to run a few flight tests during calm conditions to see if this might be my issue. Thanks.
DJI gave you an SD card in your FlyMore kit? When did they start doing that?

DJI gave you an SD card in your FlyMore kit? When did they start doing that?
Yep. I ordered in July 7, 2020 on Amazon and it was supplied by a place called "Best4Sale". Not sure who that is but it came with all the other stuff and was listed in the description. It was an EVO 128GB U3 fast SD.

Well, I've tried everything, all the suggestions mentioned. Wind or no wind, cold or hot weather, changed out the SD card, tried using PolarPro ND filters, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it "shudders". Some flights are perfect but most have at least one shudder for a second or two. Otherwise, the videos are perfectly sharp. So I will just live with it and edit out the shudder in post production.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Well, I've tried everything, all the suggestions mentioned. Wind or no wind, cold or hot weather, changed out the SD card, tried using PolarPro ND filters, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it "shudders". Some flights are perfect but most have at least one shudder for a second or two. Otherwise, the videos are perfectly sharp. So I will just live with it and edit out the shudder in post production.
How about the rubber suspension rings on the camera gimbal. None torn? Three “strands” on each?

How about the rubber suspension rings on the camera gimbal. None torn? Three “strands” on each?
I examined them closely, using a bright light and magnifying glass and do see that each has the three rubber strands and looking in good shape. Thanks for the suggestion. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, this is the third MPP I have had and each one had their slightly different quirks. The first was brand new and had the least quirkiness but the last two were refurbished from DJI. Overall, this one is pretty good. It flies and lands straight, gets great video "most" of the time, but it occasionally won't focus, occasionally it initiates a gimbal reset in flight for no reason. Nine times out of ten, when using the autonomous RTH it lands within inches of where it took off, but sometimes its off by 10 feet and won't correct. It just hovers. Its still all good and its still pretty amazing all it is doing most of the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada