DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Welcome to/from Western North Carolina ! ! !

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Welcome to all sUAS pilots and perspective sUAS pilots in and around Western North Carolina. We live, work, and play in some of the most beautiful areas on the planet. This section of the forum is for us to meet, share, and hopefully meet up to share experiences and ideas in person. Below are some ideas:

1. As you see members with a WNC location in their profile or discussing WNC topics, consider sending a message to invite them to join this group. The groups aren't super easy to locate so members might need a bit of encouragement to locate them.

2. I'm looking for a member to step up and take co-ownership of this group with me. Mainly inviting people, creating some interesting discussions, adding events to the calendar, etc.. Let me know if interested.

I recently moved to Asheville from Houston. New to the area. So much beautiful scenery but restrictions come with it with all the National Parks around and no fly zones around the hospitals with helicopters. Not only new to the area, but new to flying as well. Good to see a group specific for the area. Hope it blossoms!

Reactions: BigAl07
Moved from LI to Hendersonville last year and just started flying again. Left my 3DR Iris with a friend up north.

Starting little again with a MM but will go bigger eventually

Moved from LI to Hendersonville last year and just started flying again. Left my 3DR Iris with a friend up north.

Starting little again with a MM but will go bigger eventually

Welcome to the forum :)

Good to see that there are some pilots here on the Blue Ridge Front Range.
I am up on Tryon Peak above Columbus.
Mostly I am flying down at Harmon Field off Rt.108 in Tryon until I get "competent". [The MM is my first serious drone... I also have some $39 MM clone I bought to idiot-proof myself to begin with]
Hit me up with a pm if you'd like to do a meet-up....

I recently moved to Asheville from Houston. New to the area. So much beautiful scenery but restrictions come with it with all the National Parks around and no fly zones around the hospitals with helicopters. Not only new to the area, but new to flying as well. Good to see a group specific for the area. Hope it blossoms!

You’ll be delighted to know that we actually live near many National Forests, where it is LEGAL to fly drones as long as you follow FAA rules. ??

You’ll be delighted to know that we actually live near many National Forests, where it is LEGAL to fly drones as long as you follow FAA rules. ??
But also lots of NPS land where it's very much illegal.... we've got to know where we are when we fly.

Reactions: Thomas B
But also lots of NPS land where it's very much illegal.... we've got to know where we are when we fly.

Not sure your point. That’s how it is everywhere if we want to be legal and reaponsible.... but we’ve got pisgah, chatahoochee, nantahala, cherokee. All great places.

Not sure your point. That’s how it is everywhere if we want to be legal and reaponsible.... but we’ve got pisgah, chatahoochee, nantahala, cherokee. All great places.
My point is I was offering some additional information for our users who may not be aware that all park/forest land isn't the same. Hence the "we've got to know where we are " portion of my statement.

My point is I was offering some additional information for our users who may not be aware that all park/forest land isn't the same. Hence the "we've got to know where we are " portion of my statement.

Surely! I guess i figured that was the theme of the thread, was knowing where and where not to fly in wnc :)

I live in Va 15 min from Kingsport, Tn and at least once a month take a drive through WNC.

I live in Va 15 min from Kingsport, Tn and at least once a month take a drive through WNC.

I've got friends and family up in your area.

I'm in Haywood County so if you're traveling I-40 you're driving through my neighborhood (globally speaking lol).

Hey Big Al, I will be visiting relatives in Brevard next month, and bringing my mini along. I know the Blue Ridge Parkway is off limits, but what about the actual Pisgah Forest land up in the mountains?
Any suggestions for scenic flights in the area? Thanks in advance.
And I found this on NC DOT site:
§ 15A-300.2. Regulation of launch and recovery sites.
(a) No unmanned aircraft system may be launched or recovered from any State or private property without consent.
My question is what’s left to launch from if both state and private property are off the table?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada