DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, I Guess It's Not a Cable Issue

dvarapala

Reactions
Here is the ;latest chapter in the continuing saga of the mysterious disconnects.

This morning my Samsung S7 edge took an update to Android 8.0, so this evening I went out for a test flight to see what got broken. It turns out quite a lot: I was getting "Strong signal interference" (in an area I have flown dozens of times before without issue), and "Aircraft Disconnected" (even though I was using the USB port on the bottom of the controller). The coup de grace, however, was the the worst Go 4 crash I've ever seen: the app froze completely, with bits and pieces of 3 different screens mixed together (the usual main screen with a dark video feed, the "Go Fly" entry screen, and what looked like the full-sized map screen. The RC still had control of the MPP, so I started bringing it back while also trying to restart the app, but the screen wasn't responding. As I was flying back the app somehow restarted by itself, and everything seemed normal for the remainder of the flight.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by this crash, but I was, because earlier today I did a couple quick searches of the forum and didn't see any problems reported. Anyway, since I was using my Samsung USB cable from the USB port on the bottom of the RC I guess I can rule out the side port being the source of my issues.

One good thing that came out of this was that when the app crashed I didn't panic at all, I just calmly worked to regain control. Clearly desensitization therapy is a great way to deal with flight anxiety. :D

The DJI Go app, and the firmware updates for the bird are like jello, you poke it there, it jiggles over there. Once you have a stable system, do not touch it. I have a dedicated tabby for the Mavic Pro, I have auto update/sync turned off, period. Nothing has changed since I opened the fly-more box over 18 months ago. Rock solid, and no nfz, hieght limits, quizes etc to nag me.

You might try to delete the existing go app on your "updated phone", clear all the cache etc from your device, and then reload it. Maybe it will come back. If not, you should try an earlier version of the app, which can be found with a Googlies search.

Here is the ;latest chapter in the continuing saga of the mysterious disconnects.

This morning my Samsung S7 edge took an update to Android 8.0, so this evening I went out for a test flight to see what got broken. It turns out quite a lot: I was getting "Strong signal interference" (in an area I have flown dozens of times before without issue), and "Aircraft Disconnected" (even though I was using the USB port on the bottom of the controller). The coup de grace, however, was the the worst Go 4 crash I've ever seen: the app froze completely, with bits and pieces of 3 different screens mixed together (the usual main screen with a dark video feed, the "Go Fly" entry screen, and what looked like the full-sized map screen. The RC still had control of the MPP, so I started bringing it back while also trying to restart the app, but the screen wasn't responding. As I was flying back the app somehow restarted by itself, and everything seemed normal for the remainder of the flight.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by this crash, but I was, because earlier today I did a couple quick searches of the forum and didn't see any problems reported. Anyway, since I was using my Samsung USB cable from the USB port on the bottom of the RC I guess I can rule out the side port being the source of my issues.
My Android issues resolved by changing the Battery settings to stop monitoring GO4. Apparently, newer versions of droid have power saving modes that can mistakenly swap GO4 out of memory even though it is still running. Force it ro stop looking for GO4 and it becomes more stable ("Device Mainyemance"....Battery, under settings )
One good thing that came out of this was that when the app crashed I didn't panic at all, I just calmly worked to regain control. Clearly desensitization therapy is a great way to deal with flight anxiety. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929