DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well it finally happened to me.

That’s where having my retired police star and weapon permit is handy.
:)

Yep, I retired in May 2021 after 37 years and created and commander our drone unit.

I might smile and say, call the local police and maybe one of the few hundred officers that I have trained and/or supervised might show up and we can discuss old times.

I tried to be kind and assure her that no pictures were taken of her children but it was a very short time and it became apparent her agenda was much deeper. Definitely a Karen as you stated, lol. That's the only really negative reaction I've gotten. Most reactions range from no reaction to quite friendly, inquisitive and on occasion a little show. With the drone people will often stop and point it out to their children like watching a kite fly. I've even shared my screen with women who were earnestly interested in what the video looked like from the drone as it was flying. It only takes one Karen with a vicar to create a real scene.
Wonder if she never looked around inside her local Wal-Mart taking thousands of pics and vids of her children from dozens of cameras, PLUS recording their biometrics, PLUS recording their voices. She should go bully Wal-Mart AP and see how fast she is led out the door in handcuffs for trespassing.

It is now the world we live in sadly enough. Not drone related but I was between jobs 8 years ago and was making a few bucks doing home inspections. It required looking at and answering a few questions about the property and taking pictures. You would not believe how many times I was approached by someone demanding that I leave. I had a certificate to prove that I was who I said and it still didn’t make any difference.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
It is now the world we live in sadly enough. Not drone related but I was between jobs 8 years ago and was making a few bucks doing home inspections. It required looking at and answering a few questions about the property and taking pictures. You would not believe how many times I was approached by someone demanding that I leave. I had a certificate to prove that I was who I said and it still didn’t make any difference.
[Insert thumbs down emoji here.]

Just thumb through the posts in Nextdoor for your neighborhood. The ignorance about most things is so thick, you could cut it with a knife...

People ruin everything good and fun. Your lady with the accusation of watching children sounds exactly like my neighbor. She tried that stuff. And even filed a false report. I just figure if she keeps it up or tries that again I will fight back, seeing as how she is on the record perjuring herself. : )

People ruin everything good and fun. Your lady with the accusation of watching children sounds exactly like my neighbor. She tried that stuff. And even filed a false report. I just figure if she keeps it up or tries that again I will fight back, seeing as how she is on the record perjuring herself. : )
Remember back when lying to a commissioned Peace Officer was a crime? Those old days…

This kind of thing now happens to me all the time probably because I live in the hood

Reactions: LoudThunder
I know a few pilots wear it in a lanyard around their neck to look more "official".
If you use a lanyard, make sure it's a "breakaway" lanyard. You do not want some "crazy" grabbing your lanyard to get a better look and holding you in a strangle hold while you are trying to fly your drone.

If you use a lanyard, make sure it's a "breakaway" lanyard. You do not want some "crazy" grabbing your lanyard to get a better look and holding you in a strangle hold while you are trying to fly your drone.
Likewise if you use any lanyard for work, it should be a breakaway to be osha compliant (which is funny cuz the official lanyard my work gives definitely isn't)

I am 6.4’ ,270lbs and carry .357…..to anyone that wants to pull on my lanyard,good luck 😁

I suppose I have been lucky. I recently had 3 seniors at a roadside stop ask me about my mini 3 pro. I happened to be flying just a pleasure flight in North Carolina on a road trip and didn't want to use my Mavic 3 Enterprise so as to be more discrete. They came over to me and I showed them the screen. They were amazed at the view of the mountains and river from the drone. An older couple also came up and were so amazed at what a little drone could do, the lady said she was going to buy one for her retired husband for Christmas. I gave her my business card and told her to contact me any time. For some, it's just a matter of education.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
I feel real fortunate I live in an area where it easy and fast to get to places in the country with no people around

I think well less than1% of all my flying time has been over anybody's house, and by over I mean 350 feet up, and within a 200 foot radius of their home, but not directly over the building

You may or may not have noticed that "protecting the children" from all manner of imaginary bogeymen is just the latest front in the culture war and a significant chunk of the population believe that there's an endless stream of child predators hiding in every bush and bathroom.

Anyway it seems that the "protect the Children" has become the blunt instrument with which to attack anyone they don't agree with...

Time to post this handout again....
Great piece to carry, but it mainly applies to Part 107 pilots, not Rec pilots. I would like to have something just for the Rec pilots so to confuse them. Do you have a link for Rec pilots?

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25