DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, it happened again. Ken and Karen on the beach.

I’ve met several neighbors the last week that enjoyed my photos of our frozen neighborhood. A bunch of my son’s friends got cheap drones for Christmas and had no clue how to get them off the ground, I spent several hours yesterday giving flying lessons.

Great to hear interaction was pleasant and we may gain another Drone Owner due to your pleasant interaction.

I do find it interesting the side reaction to “Ken & Karen”… those have been used for years and didn’t originate in sUAV forum, I believe started in politics. When used in correct form… provides the meaning intended without disrespect to those with given names. Many names have been used to project a behavior or personality in expression: Nancy, Mike, Frank, Ralph, Simon, Scott, Doug, Jane, Sally, etc.

Again great to hear your exchange was pleasant.
You might edit title to express a “positive” outcome; More may read with positive results.

Reactions: MS Coast
We went down to the beach to shoot some winter sunset video and photos with the Mavic 3. The beach was deserted except for a couple about 100 yards down the way. I carefully avoided going anywhere near them. She was shooting photos. It wasn't long before he turned and stared at the drone and then at me and then back to the drone. And then ... Yep, he made a beeline straight for me, very purposefully. With a pit bull on a leash. He stopped about five yards away, made the dog sit, paused, and addressed me.

"Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but can I come look at the screen?"

I had just started a 360-degree panorama, so I welcomed him over. The next few minutes were filled with "Wow!" "How cool!" "Look at that! Amazing!" "What model is that?" "What a great perspective!" And it wasn't even a particularly interesting sunset.

He watched a few minutes and then thanked me and excused himself, saying "I know you're busy, so I'll get out of your way. Thanks so much."

Haven't had a bad interaction with a spectator yet. I hope my luck continues.
Then why do you refer to them as Ken and Karen?

I was lured in by the title but very pleased with your outcome. Good news is in short supply these days, thanks for the upbeat post.

Reactions: Dan50
I have had 1 bad experience with 2 cranky women at my local waterfront, one was camping there in her van. I was parked a few car spots away and drone was out over the bay getting sunset photos. Apparently that was an invasion of their privacy. I was not impressed but just ignored them. Everyone else that approaches are just curious and enjoy watching what I am doing and also seem curious that a middle aged woman has chosen drone photography lol.

Some guy:
“Wow,you can make such nice pictures of sunset with your
drone!!!”
Me:
”Oh,this is nothing,take a look at this pictur of your wife that i took 10 min ago,!!!”
😁

We went down to the beach to shoot some winter sunset video and photos with the Mavic 3. The beach was deserted except for a couple about 100 yards down the way. I carefully avoided going anywhere near them. She was shooting photos. It wasn't long before he turned and stared at the drone and then at me and then back to the drone. And then ... Yep, he made a beeline straight for me, very purposefully. With a pit bull on a leash. He stopped about five yards away, made the dog sit, paused, and addressed me.

"Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but can I come look at the screen?"

I had just started a 360-degree panorama, so I welcomed him over. The next few minutes were filled with "Wow!" "How cool!" "Look at that! Amazing!" "What model is that?" "What a great perspective!" And it wasn't even a particularly interesting sunset.

He watched a few minutes and then thanked me and excused himself, saying "I know you're busy, so I'll get out of your way. Thanks so much."

Haven't had a bad interaction with a spectator yet. I hope my luck continues.
I was waiting for the worst and thankfully a happy ending. I have had similar outcomes, thankfully. I always tell my drone student to just be nice and don't start quoting 107 rules and regulations right from the start.

Personally, I don't even call them Karens anymore. I now simply call them "The Uniformed" (def: not having or showing awareness or understanding of the facts) because when they start talking I immediately know they have no clue about drone law & policies. When on a recent vacation at the beach, a lady approached me and said there's no drone flying on the beach. I told her I'm a licensed drone pilot and I've already checked with FAA, State & local policies and there's no info stating no flying on the beach, however, there is info prohibiting wreckless & unsafe flying of any of model aircraft, kites, and drones. Amazingly she simply said "Oh okay, thanks!" THEN she proceeded to tell me where I can get some great views with the drone. lol

Personally, I don't even call them Karens anymore. I now simply call them "The Uniformed" (def: not having or showing awareness or understanding of the facts) because when they start talking I immediately know they have no clue about drone law & policies. When on a recent vacation at the beach, a lady approached me and said there's no drone flying on the beach. I told her I'm a licensed drone pilot and I've already checked with FAA, State & local policies and there's no info stating no flying on the beach, however, there is info prohibiting wreckless & unsafe flying of any of model aircraft, kites, and drones. Amazingly she simply said "Oh okay, thanks!" THEN she proceeded to tell me where I can get some great views with the drone. lol
But why would she tell you there's no flying on the beach if she doesn't know what she's talking about?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots