DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well that was terrifying.. Controller disconnected and crashed into a kayak!

What I learned here... dont launch your drone from Kayaks as a homepoint. And if you are planing on doing it put drone on Hover if disconnected and not return home. Got it! On a side note WOW what a save!

Pete / anyone else -

So I am a new mavic owner and I am religious about setting my home point & RTH info every flight so far

What settings have I (possibly) overlooked? We can instruct the drone to hover indefinitely until a connection is made again?

It was my understanding that when it's lost the drone will wait briefly then begin the flight back to the home point based on the predetermined RTH altitude.

If i need to tweak something please advise

Yeah, I thought it wasnt a good idea to hover in place either, till it lost connection and wouldn't respond and started descending into the water on its own!!

Would a dodgy usb cable cause the RC to stop controlling the mavic? I thought no matter what the tablet/phone is doing you should still be able to fly it.. which I am capable of, but it wasn't responding to anything.. now I realize I should have quickly powered down the control and powered it back up... at the time when it started it's decent I was just pondering if I was going to jump into the water and try and save it and looking for other options.
Kudos for keeping your calm and analyzing your options
My blind guess is slight incompatibility with the android
I just had an incident due to faulty 10$ 15cm lightning cable, but i still have full control over the mavic
DjiGo shown "disconnected" but i forgot to check the status on the controller's screen

Last edited:
Pete / anyone else -

So I am a new mavic owner and I am religious about setting my home point & RTH info every flight so far

What settings have I (possibly) overlooked? We can instruct the drone to hover indefinitely until a connection is made again?

It was my understanding that when it's lost the drone will wait briefly then begin the flight back to the home point based on the predetermined RTH altitude.

If i need to tweak something please advise
There is a setting for that
When lose signal from the controller
U can set the mavic to do 1 of these action
RTH, hover, land

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
RTH, hover, land

It would seem that this is a setting that should be adjusted upon launching from any new location and determining the what if we're to occur

RTH, hover, land

Thanks!

I'm not planning a boat launch anytime soon. So would the RTH function suffice? I believe I have it set at 90m currently to avoid large pines

Set rth as high as practical. Very little downside, and if signal is lost during flight, the ascent to rth altitude may restore your connection right away.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Set rth as high as practical. Very little downside, and if signal is lost during flight, the ascent to rth altitude may restore your connection right away.

Some member said failsafe rth will also counting for rth altitude
"if the battery is not enough to go to the height the rth is set to, it will simply land"
Quoted from my memory of me reading the post long time ago, so, most probably i might be wrong

It would seem that this is a setting that should be adjusted upon launching from any new location and determining the what if we're to occur
Many people include adjusting the setting in their preflight check to suit their flight environment
Not me, since I always fly in a similar environment

Thanks!

I'm not planning a boat launch anytime soon. So would the RTH function suffice? I believe I have it set at 90m currently to avoid large pines
Just make sure your controller/phone/tablet has speak outloud that it already record the home point and u are good to go

so not many people here have actually experienced a complete disconnection between controller and mavic? Forget the tablet and phone. I'm talking you launch your mavic, it's fine for 90 seconds and it disconnects from the actual hand held controller.

I'm actually wondering if someone on the beach had some kind of anti drone disrupter. I flew it this morning for a good 10 mins with NO issue. Hmmm.

I operate from a RIB most of the time and one setting change that works well is turning off Landing Protection and Pecision Landing. From testing, this means the Mavic will:
1. Not get disoriented by water surface reflections confusing the downward sensors causing unintentional landing to be initiated mid-flight.
2. Enables hand launch and recovery by preventing the Mavic from trying to fly away when you put your hand underneath to catch.
3. Importantly, it stops the Mavic auto landing at then end of a RTH sequence and instead will decend to 0.5m hover and then give a controller message enabling manual landing control.
Note. It will only auto land in this configuration at a Critical Battery point.

I believe this is a better option over the water than setting Hover rather then RTH should controller connection be lost. At least the Mavic comes home and then hovers at 0.5m awaiting manual command to land.

Some things:

1.) I have had the same issue. No idea of the cause yet, but it's scary.
2.) Where'd you get those pontoons? I fly over water sometimes, and I haven't found a really trustworthy anti-sinking solution.

Is there any reason to not activate RTH 100% of the time just for emergencies? I havent flown yet so forgive my ignorance

Battery only shows one green light in the photo. Maybe your battery is defective and doesn't hold a charge?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair