DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

...Well...

I think it maybe illegal to use a drone for spotting purposes in some US states, be careful about positing the 'intention' of doing so.

Doing a very quick search I found it illegal in Texas, Ohio, California, and a few others. I suspect it to be the same in most.

What I did not find was anything saying explicitly it was legal and welcome anywhere, and instead several articles in hunting publications discussing the unethical nature of using drones hunting.

YMMV.

I was flying earlier in Normal mode, slowly, and my Air 3 decided to keep on keepin' on right into a building, about 15' from me, 5-6' off the ground. I pulled back about 2' from the wall, and it kept right on going into it. Decent contrast, mostly shaded area.

There are 2 wifi networks but very weak here, building has decent contrast, and it was sunny.

Collision avoidance was on Bypass Mode, i was doing maybe 3-4mph. I was not recording, unfortunately. 50% on drone, 75% on controller, everything was fine.

Everything checks out fine, except the props are shot and it popped one gimbal rubber buffer off, which i hooked back on.

I have Care Refresh but just swapped out the props, did a THOROUGH checkout of everything (including obstacle avoidance), so im going to keep flying it for now.

I expected to have incidents, but not like this.

Odd behavior, seems like it just froze up going forward, i pulled back on the right stick and it just did its own thing.

View attachment 166903
Mine dropped out of the sky yesterday into the Ocean! [Motor Failure then connection lost]
I hope it was a bird hit and not the AIR 3 going bananas o_O only 1-3 feet of water if that. We found no drone and the guy that was about 20 feet from it walking towards it was gone as well [3-4 min to move car and get down the cliff]

I think someone was prosecuted in perhaps Alaska for spotting for a bear or moose hunt but its a very vague memory.
Alaska and many other states won't even allow the drone use for scouting, let alone hunting. Too much of an advantage. Heck, the animals are unarmed and can't even shoot back at the hunters! It's like shooting fish in a barrel! More like hunting at the zoo!

No different than baiting fields or planting crops for deer. I know many hunters that do yet frown on drones. Old school, new school, don't break the law. Preseason..it's just flying. In season guns and drones don't mix. Enjoy

I think it maybe illegal to use a drone for spotting purposes in some US states, be careful about positing the 'intention' of doing so.
They are EVERYWHERE around here, i cant help but find them in just about every bald spot or clearing, or even along railroad beds. Its not intentional.

Never realized how many there are around here till i got a different perspective.

As far as the drone, i replaced the two rubber gimbal buffers and all is well, though i will not be trusting obstacle avoidance much in the future.

Alaska and many other states won't even allow the drone use for scouting, let alone hunting. Too much of an advantage. Heck, the animals are unarmed and can't even shoot back at the hunters! It's like shooting fish in a barrel! More like hunting at the zoo!
Yeah, but they can be VERY quiet, and inside 100 yards, a brown bear in particular can take a hit or two and and still manage to get to you.

Moose are unpredictable.

I am Alaskan, just about any time we went out in the boonies, my folks had a 45-70 or a 12ga slamfire with a short barrel as well as a 357, and thats still underpowered without excellent shot placement. Generally speaking, you want them to know you are there, and stay the hell out of their way.

I was away on vacation, hence my lack of comms here. Hand landing in a kayak was... Interesting.

Thanks for all the info. I have no intention of using it for hunting, i live quite rural and they are everywhere, i just didnt realize how many. Black bears as well.

Thus far, i am not really impressed with the camera quality, even D-LOG M, but thats coming from my experience shooting with BlackMagic Super35 RAW and Nikon RAW.

It has been rather difficult to grade footage to match, and the image quality is below my expectations.

Far superior to the Mini 3 i had, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was flying earlier in Normal mode, slowly, and my Air 3 decided to keep on keepin' on right into a building, about 15' from me, 5-6' off the ground. I pulled back about 2' from the wall, and it kept right on going into it. Decent contrast, mostly shaded area.

There are 2 wifi networks but very weak here, building has decent contrast, and it was sunny.

Collision avoidance was on Bypass Mode, i was doing maybe 3-4mph. I was not recording, unfortunately. 50% on drone, 75% on controller, everything was fine.

Everything checks out fine, except the props are shot and it popped one gimbal rubber buffer off, which i hooked back on.

I have Care Refresh but just swapped out the props, did a THOROUGH checkout of everything (including obstacle avoidance), so im going to keep flying it for now.

I expected to have incidents, but not like this.

Odd behavior, seems like it just froze up going forward, i pulled back on the right stick and it just did its own thing.

View attachment 166903
I have had some weird flights as well with 1st & 2nd A3 Drones Thanks for sharing Thumbswayup

Reactions: Xi Zhou
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas