DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wetsuits ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have read so far, one can conclude that it is most effective to cover up just the battery power button in order to protect the most vulnerable point.
Couldn't that be done with a clear piece of Scotch tape? This surely won't last a lifetime but it is easily removed and replaced.

Welcome to the Forum , Seems like this is your very first Post message #1 according to your Profile. ? ? ?

So your idea of Scotch Tape , well some members have mentioned Duck Tape which is step up from Scotch Tape.

The problem your going to have is its not going to work at all , zero % chance it will keep the rain out of the battery let alone protect the Power Button.

Its going to take a lot more than that. When water get in the Terminals : Battery Disconnect from the drone , Drone flips over and crashes.

You need a Air Tight Seal , You need a 360 degree Perimeter cover and You need pressure ,
and You need a very easy way to use it and that what the WET SUITS are all about.

The Wet Suits Offer a lot more benefits than just Protecting the Battery and the Power Button
they also offer a Non Slip Grip . Excellent Visual Orientation , and allow it to work beautifully with the Rescue Jacket to land on water.

You also have the Vents , that need to be protected so the IMU does not get wet . Very important .
The Best Part of the Wet Suits is not even how much they weigh its that they stay out of your way , Each Battery Has its Own Cover and Power Button Seal.

Suggesting to people to just use Scotch Tape is putting there drone at Risk.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
What I have read so far, one can conclude that it is most effective to cover up just the battery power button in order to protect the most vulnerable point.
Couldn't that be done with a clear piece of Scotch tape? This surely won't last a lifetime but it is easily removed and replaced.
Well I mean, you could put duct tape over a hole in a boat, that doesn't mean you're making it home.

You could leave your cell phone in a pool, mine would work for about 30 minutes... Then it's toast. Also, a complete failure isn't as risky as the thing you're controlling 1500 feet away and 400 feet up.
So now let's say you put the phone in the pool, get it out in 20 minutes, but you throw it right back in for another 20... Gone.

I'm often flying multiple batteries with oncoming storms. Having only the button sealed would be useless. The "lip" of the battery is not air or water tight, there is no suction created when you install the battery. However, with the wetsuit, this all changes.

im speaking from experience.
lightnin4.jpg

Coal is ultra detailed with his answers, something as a uneducated potential buyer I greatly appreciated, no question was too "stupid" and the replies we're always fast, I'm not sure why the person above seeks to post detrimental comments about good customer service.

I've had my "suit" a couple of weeks and the battery seal now gives me more confidence per flight than without.

I've only been caught in light rain once so far with the suit but so impressed was I I've ordered suits for my entire fleet, a lot of that was down to the customer service of coal & the new found confidence that if I get caught in a shower I have some protection.

No and No.

Water IS going to get into the drone as you cant seal the motors, fan intakes and so on.
You're adding weight, drag and risking issues such as overheating.
I use one of these wetsuits on my Mavic Air 2. I never really flew it in the rain without it, but the battery would be FUBAR if you did and using the full suit I have no issues with rain or performance. I can still get up to 68/69 kph in sport mode and same battery life. I do think trimming the battery buttons shorter makes a difference at 40 mph but I don't have numbers. This isn't an idiot-proof product and it takes some skill to use it properly, but I have never heard of a drone failing in the rain because the wetsuit didn't work. If you haven't ever tried one, don't proclaim it won't work because now you are not credible.

GoPros and extra lighting also increase weight and effect performance (plenty of documented crashes on here and DJI where they've interfered with sensors,compass etc causing flyaways, battery drain etc).
The drones can cope with a lot but have limits and endurance and stability are affected.
My main issues with the silly little neoprene pouches are (i) neoprene is definitely going to reduce cooling ability and (ii) wont work to keep water out anyway.
Wrong and wrong. The vents stay open with the neoprene directing the water flow away from them. I have gotten no water inside. Also the drone doesn't rely on radiant cooling through the top og the drone body, but the neoprene does enough to protect the drone from heating up in the sun on a hot day more than it works as insulation. Again, I don't know what your issue is with this product. Like I have said, it isn't the most user friendly modification, but it does allow my drone to fly in the rain for under $100 with good after sale support. So both of your main issues are not applicable.

And here we go again with having to clean up this thread.
Wrong and wrong. The vents stay open with the neoprene directing the water flow away from them. I have gotten no water inside. Also the drone doesn't rely on radiant cooling through the top og the drone body, but the neoprene does enough to protect the drone from heating up in the sun on a hot day more than it works as insulation. Again, I don't know what your issue is with this product. Like I have said, it isn't the most user friendly modification, but it does allow my drone to fly in the rain for under $100 with good after sale support. So both of your main issues are not applicable.
You quoted a member that isn’t even one anymore . You’ve insulted another which I deleted the post and suggest you read our guidelines
before you continue here. Why you even started this up I don’t know but it stops here.

Guys this is the 3rd time this thread has had to be cleaned and it is the last time.
dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky