DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whale Watching

beach_Dr

Reactions
Whiles are currently migrating South from Mozambique coast to cooler waters - I have been going out to try and film them on weekends, without much luck.

Past weekend, almost half way through last battery, I finally managed to spot a pair 1.5km out, and had 6 minutes with them before low battery return to home. Forgot to switch out of sport mode, so the panning a little jerky.

I hope to catch them playing one day, instead of just migrating!

Very nice indeed.

Whiles are currently migrating South from Mozambique coast to cooler waters - I have been going out to try and film them on weekends, without much luck.

Past weekend, almost half way through last battery, I finally managed to spot a pair 1.5km out, and had 6 minutes with them before low battery return to home. Forgot to switch out of sport mode, so the panning a little jerky.

I hope to catch them playing one day, instead of just migrating!
Wow this is amazing footage. Did you control the drone from a boat? Or did you stand on shore and fly it that far out?

And, did you shoot through the regular lens or a telephoto?

Interested in trying this myself...a little nervous about losing the drone tho lol

Wow this is amazing footage. Did you control the drone from a boat? Or did you stand on shore and fly it that far out?

And, did you shoot through the regular lens or a telephoto?

Interested in trying this myself...a little nervous about losing the drone tho lol
I haven’t had the opportunity to whale watch for a while…since moved from the beach
All whale watching was done from standing on shore, the whales where generally 1-1.5km off shore. I had a few shots where they came about 600m from shore.
All through standard MP1 wide angle lens. I can’t recall height specifically but I think 30-40m while searching for whales.

Just watch the wind and listen to the return to home Warnings. I once stayed out a minute longer and managed to return but drone initiated auto landing from low battery before it reached home point (but luckily over beach)
I was very wary of whale watching with offshore breeze - where we where it was mostly crosswind and sometimes onshore.

That was one of my early whale videos. You may like one of my last whale videos before moving away from beach.

Reactions: Lykus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_