DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s the best editing software to start with?

Paulf10

Reactions
I’m sure this has been asked before, but just to learn the basic techniques, what software should any of you suggest to start start with?

Thanks in advance.

Davinci Resolve free version for video. Plenty of how-to videos on You Tube are available to help you learn.
For photos, a free option that is available is an App called Snapseed owned by Google. Its available on Android or Apple IOS. It's a pretty cool photo editor you can use on phone or tablet. It works with editing .dng RAW files or JPEGS.

Reactions: MRomine and Paulf10
Davinci Resolve free version for video. Plenty of how-to videos on You Tube are available to help you learn.
For photos, a free option that is available is an App called Snapseed owned by Google. Its available on Android or Apple IOS. It's a pretty cool photo editor you can use on phone or tablet. It works with editing .dng RAW files or JPEGS.

Outstanding!

I am another for Davinci, the 16 Beta is out now, I am still on 15. The best part are the Youtube video, huge collection of 'how to's' from many different people. I have never been stuck on what to do yet!

Reactions: Paulf10 and hactick
I am another for Davinci, the 16 Beta is out now, I am still on 15. The best part are the Youtube video, huge collection of 'how to's' from many different people. I have never been stuck on what to do yet!

This is all great information. I’ve never heard or tried Davinci. I spent a lot of time trying to use iMovie but I was never happy with my results or my abilities to fully use it. Thank you all!

I’m sure this has been asked before, but just to learn the basic techniques, what software should any of you suggest to start start with?

Thanks in advance.

I’m a big believer in iMovie for basic techniques. If it’s color grading you were unhappy with that’s fair and maybe you’ve already outgrown iMovie but Davinci is much more complex.

@Paulf10, you can find a list of commonly used editors here. Check out the videos on YouTube for help with the editor you decide to use.

Reactions: Paulf10
Snapseed is a good program & getting better as time goes on!

Thanks in advance.
After trying out several programs I purchased Cyberlink Power Director 17 (about $99). It was very easy to learn and the results have been very good, many features to boot!

I’m rather new to video editing and drones also, and my old MacBook Pro can’t handle playing, let alone editing, 4K video. As a result I’ve been using LumaTouch, first on my iPhone and then eventually on a 3rd gen iPad Pro, and while I’ll admit it’s not perfect (especially when color grading is concerned), one can achieve impressive results with Luma if done right. If you’re already using a newer iOS device, Luma may be a good first step for editing.

I take it nobody uses the DJI Go4 Editor? I'm new to my Mavic Air so had some small success working with Go4 Editor, but I can see its limits. I do have iMovie on my iMac and sounds like some folks use it. Does iMovie offer the royalty-free music loops like Go 4 does?

If you edit on your phone folks should take a look at Adobe Premier Rush. Its brand spanking new and targeting content creators on the go. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but I played with it for about an hour and was able to pump out some decent clips. I much prefer working with Premier but its something I am used to.

I wouldn't do editing on the phone as the resolution is too low. For computer editing I'm pretty pleased with Adobe Elements for photography. I recently downloaded Elements Premiere for video but haven't done my first edit with it. Hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
I wouldn't due editing on the phone as the resolution is too low. For computer editing I'm pretty pleased with Adobe Elements for photography. I recently downloaded Elements Premiere for video but haven't done my first edit with it. Hopefully this weekend.
I wouldn't due editing on the phone as the resolution is too low. For computer editing I'm pretty pleased with Adobe Elements for photography. I recently downloaded Elements Premiere for video but haven't done my first edit with it. Hopefully this weekend.
Concur, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, easy enough for beginners, yet they allow for maturing to more sophisticated editing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123