Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What 2nd drone do you recommend?

Bob in Savannah

Masters Patron
Reactions
Site
instagram.com
Just wondering what you guys think. I currently have a 9 month old Mavic Pro in mint condition and it flies awesome with zero problems. It's a tank! I love it and have NO intention of selling it.
I just want to ADD to my current line up... ... Of one single drone. Lol

I'm thinking my options are the Mavic 2 Pri the Zoom or even an Air, maybe.

Would it be silly to get a another Mavic pro or maybe the premium! They'd be a ton cheaper, right?

Just wondering.

To me the Mavic 2 pro and the Mavic air make for a great combination. The Mavic air for easy to pack/carry stuff in close range, and the pro 2 for longer flight times and better camera when the size and weight doesn't bother you.

So your current drone is similar the the pro 2, so maybe an air to round things out.

Brent

Reactions: Maviac
You want a better drone? Cheaper? Do you need zoom? Do you need 4K video at 60fps? Mechanical shutter?

By figuring out what you want and what are your priorities you’ll figure out what drone to buy.

Take into consideration additional costs of batteries and other accessories. You can go as high as $1900 or as low as $1200

Me personally
I would never sell my phantom 4 advanced for its video and photo quality and mavic zoom for its zoom and signal strength. I sold spark. And I’ll get rid of Mavic Air in a heartbeat. It’s just an emergency back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
As the Mavic Pro seems to be your first choice I would suggest a Mavic Air for its portability and versatility, price considerations too. Otherwise, the only logical option would be to upgrade to Phantom. I have a Spark and Mavic Air, so the next addition is definitely going to be the Mavic Pro. But not just yet! ?

It's looking like some folks are pushing the air... That might be the way to go...
Buying another pro is just not advancing for me.. Or learning..

I'm looking for quality video footage and still shots. Haha. Exactly what I have now or better.

I just bought a Sony mirrorless camera and maybe I need that $1500 Telephoto lens instead for the wildlife on the course since obviously my baby, The Mavic, is just fine for what I need which is posting on social media right now.
Is the Mavic 2 Pro really that better a camera??? Or That Much More DURABLE?!?
No issues with my camera but I treat it like gold. I hear all these horror stories about "the ribbon.". Lol

My top three are 1. Mavic pro 2. Tello (with Gamevice because app control is shite) and 3. Inductrix

Stay away from the spark....it’ll run away and break your heart.

I'm looking for quality video footage and still shots. Haha. Exactly what I have now or better.

I was going to suggest the Air as well for the portability, but I don't know that the video and still shots are a big enough jump over the Pro that you already have to make it worth dropping $600+ on one. Going with wanting the same as you have now or better, I would suggest the Phantom 4.

I have had my Air for about a month now, love the little thing, but the desire for a Mavic 2 is becoming strong.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Just wondering what you guys think. I currently have a 9 month old Mavic Pro in mint condition and it flies awesome with zero problems. It's a tank! I love it and have NO intention of selling it.

Would it be silly to get a another Mavic pro or maybe the premium! They'd be a ton cheaper, right?

Just wondering.

Are you using it to make money or just recreation? Whats your budget and whats your mission?

If your mission is to make money, then having a second drone for redundancy is vital. Murphys law applies with drones. If in business, buy a similar drone with similar, interchangeable accessories.

If you mission is just to have another drone, then it depends on your bank account, and your wife. If you have the money to buy anything you want, get something nice like an M2Z or an M2P. They are similar to your MP, but fly better and have better gimbals on them.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I have the Spark, MPP, and M2P. If you can swing the M2P I’d say go for it. If not get a Spark for portability enough to be ready for that random opportunity... I take mine with me often, using a belt clip ... and extra battery sometimes in my pocket. See the video below:

Initially we wanted to say forget The Air, becuz you already have much of what it offers in your original Bird.

HOWEVER, for Ease of Portability, so far nothing beats The Air (ours, btw).

So... IOHO, next step is probably upward to v2 Mavic Land. Creating yet another BIG decision - to Zoom, or not.

Take the easy way out - Zoom saves big Buck$ - potentially Lifesaving Leverage for critical $pousal Approval.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Last edited:
I picked up an Air for my first”real” quad. Then as fortune would have it I also was able to pick up a Pro.
My thoughts are that Air has several advantages already mentioned. However, as I have been flying it several people have commented about it sounding like a swarm of bees. I picked up the Stealth upgrade from MasterScrew and noticed a drop in pitch, which I believe is less noticeable to bystanders. Especially at height.
Grab an Air and plan on a prop upgrade.
You like it!

I would go with the Spark. It's a great, fun and cheap little machine. Strong and simple gimball. Excellent pict and vid quality.
Looks like a toy, runs like a plane.
Overall it's "rock" solid, definitely DJI's most robust drone.
If you choose the MP2 you won't need your MP1 any more.

Reactions: larry.marshall
I have a Mavic Pro and...

another Mavic Pro.

But that's because I wanted redundancy in case of any technical issues rather than added flexibility.

I sold my spark after 10 flights, compared to the M2 it's a toy. Checked out the air and it was better than the spark, but loud. Unless you feel like you need a better camera I would save my money and wait for the M3 to come down the road.

Just wondering.

I own an Evo as as a second bird, and love the advantages of not having another DJI product. My first is an M2 Zoom that I’m not that happy with because it only has two color profiles and I’m not an editor and I’m not that happy with color option normal. So there you go my Evo has a bunch of options to choose from. I had an Air before and the color options are just as limiting. You better be a good editor or be happy with what they offer which isn’t much.

Reactions: frank candor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard