DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What 3D Photogrammetry App do you use or have you tried.

Hi bakerboy, and thanks for the info.
I seem to remember there are two variants of the paid for version of Agisoft. One is for over $3,000.00 and the other around $150.00; the difference being commercial and hobby. Are there significant differences in the two versions and does the fee include processing?
I have the 3k version that allows for GCP's (So you can measure distances, volumes etc) with actual accuracy and confidence
The $150 version only models

Thanks again bakerboy, good to know. For the meantime I'll continue using the free Altizure app as the results seem just as good as any 3D examples I've seen so far, until I need to save and share the results. The lower priced "hobbyist" version of Agisoft will probably fit the bill for me.

@Rick, What control software were you using to capture the photos? I looked at the camera poses in alitzure, and it looks like a bank of photos from each cardinal direction plus a set of downward facing photos above the center. Did your control software allow you to run this as a single mission? Curious as to how you set up the run.
I've used Pix4D in a double grid, but I then have to cull the photos as there are always several that were taken in the direction of travel after the mavic has passed over the subject, so aren't of use to me and only add to my gigapixel count in altizure. I like your photo setup better.

@Rick, What control software were you using to capture the photos? I looked at the camera poses in alitzure, and it looks like a bank of photos from each cardinal direction plus a set of downward facing photos above the center. Did your control software allow you to run this as a single mission? Curious as to how you set up the run.
I've used Pix4D in a double grid, but I then have to cull the photos as there are always several that were taken in the direction of travel after the mavic has passed over the subject, so aren't of use to me and only add to my gigapixel count in altizure. I like your photo setup better.

Hi Peel

Flight mission management and post processing were all done using Altizure. The capture element of the App allows you to pre-plan a mission using mapping software (google maps so great quality) before you fly. Like Litchi allows you to plan missions beforehand, so Altizure allows you to set up missions too.

You start by dragging a four sided grid over your chosen subject area which is a direct over head shoot. You can fine tune the grid by grabbing the four corner markers to re-size the area which you can also rotate and move if you need to. This quadrilateral can be a square or a rectangle, but not a rhombus, trapezoid or parallelogram. You then set the height you wish to capture from, which automatically creates the amount of passes within that grid, so increasing or reducing the amount of images that will be taken, which can be further tweaked with the amount of overlap you want.
The clever bit are the four extra grids that are automatically created adjacent to each side of the central over head grid, where you now set the viewing angle, 40 degrees being the default.
The mission will start with the over head grid. Once completed, you are asked whether you want to hover in position or RTH. You then have the option of choosing any of the other automatically created grids which will complete one grid at a time, with the same options available to you as before upon completion of that grid. It's up to you how many grid passes you wish to make. During the process, each grid shows a progress bar. You can interrupt at any time as the progress will be saved. if you need to RTH for a battery change, you can carry on where you left off, even if that point was half way through a pass within one of the grids. There are no wasted or extra images to worry about.

Of the two examples I posted earlier in this thread, the first was a single over head grid and the second was a full five grid completed mission. I have removed another full mission I completed as it was rather large, ending up just shy of 10gb ! While the App will tell you how long each grid will take to fly, it doesn't tell you the amount of images it will capture. But, these images are captured totally autonomously and are only regulated by your choice of height and overlap.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That's awesome, thanks! I had no idea that Altizure had an app - just knew of the online service. I will have to try it out this weekend. The automatic secondary grids for the sides sounds exactly like what I was wishing there was on Pix4D, GS Pro, and Litchi.

Reactions: Rick
That's awesome, thanks! I had no idea that Altizure had an app - just knew of the online service. I will have to try it out this weekend. The automatic secondary grids for the sides sounds exactly like what I was wishing there was on Pix4D, GS Pro, and Litchi.

I'll be interested how you get on with Altizure. You have experience with other apps that I don't, so I will value your opinion and look forward to seeing your results.
Not sure if I posted this link before, apologies if it's been repeated elsewhere. Total upload size made about 2.5 gb and this was a five grid mission.
Chris House

Between the bad weather and deadlines at work I finally had a chance to try using the Altizure app, taking pictures of the local high school in my neighborhood: Franklin High School.

Wow! What a difference. I had previously taken images of this school using DJIs GS Pro app, and the Pix4D Capture app. With both sets of photos Atlizure was able to reconstruct the building, but in both cases the facades had a melted ice-cream, Salvidore Dali, surrealist look to them. Using the actual Altizure app to take the photos resulted in a stunning model. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. Blown away, is more like it.

Reactions: Twice_Knightly
So pleased to hear about your comparative results. The Altizure app is so easy to set up and like you, I've been really happy with the results. Thanks for posting your findings; it's reassuring to hear from someone who's compared apps and reported back with your results.
Your images of Franklin high school look great. Check out all the options open to you when viewing in studio mode within the online image software. Where other software demands up front payment, Altizure allows you to measure lengths both horizontally and vertically, giving you heights of buildings as well as square footage of chosen four sided dimensions.

Reactions: mita
I am having difficulty finding a site to share my models to friends, since I am still learning my models are over 100MB,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661