DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are my goggle options short of buying new FPV drone?

Papabri

Reactions
I have a Mavic Air 2 with Smart Controller. Since the SC has an HDMI port, and you can just plug in the good ole white goggles at a reasonable cost, I decided to buy but can't find them anywhere. I wrote DJI about this, asking if the white goggles and the RE black ones had been discontinued. Here's DJI's non-response:

"With regards to this concern, there have no Goggles is compatible with the Mavic Air 2 for now, we haven't received any news about news related to the Goggles at the moment, please continue to follow"

What the said was only partially true, since I told them I have and SD and intend to connect with the HDMI. No response to that yet.

Other than buying from an individual used, which I don't care to do, what are my options?
Has anyone used an off-brand goggle with HDMI?

I have a Mavic Air 2 with Smart Controller. Since the SC has an HDMI port, and you can just plug in the good ole white goggles at a reasonable cost, I decided to buy but can't find them anywhere. I wrote DJI about this, asking if the white goggles and the RE black ones had been discontinued. Here's DJI's non-response:

"With regards to this concern, there have no Goggles is compatible with the Mavic Air 2 for now, we haven't received any news about news related to the Goggles at the moment, please continue to follow"

What the said was only partially true, since I told them I have and SD and intend to connect with the HDMI. No response to that yet.

Other than buying from an individual used, which I don't care to do, what are my options?
If your phone screen has 1080 resolution, the mogo goggles are a pretty good cheap option that I like.

1080 resolution phone with mogo goggles is not bad.

I have the DJI Racing Edition goggles and I think I bought the last remaining brand new pair in all of the US haha

Around Christmas last year these Goggles disappeared everywhere; they went quick. FOMO kicked in. Everywhere I checked I would hear that they are out of stock.
Lucky for me GetFPV had an order cancellation of a brand new Racing Edition set with carry bag and it showed up on their site that evening as “1 in stock”. I ordered that immediately hah

Have not seen them new in stock since then. Anyway, in all honesty, they are heavy, cumbersome, and truly awkward. Having a cord running to SC is an issue as well. It just seems so... fussy, and I HATE how dim the brightness is (this has been mentioned in several threads). They are just dumb to wear with that stupid round plastic piece as well.

Plus I HATE the Smart Controller with a passion. I hate the Android jankiness and the fact that I need to have my phone’s hotspot on, and if I forget to run it off, it eats the range of the Stupid Controller (yes, this is absolutely true).

Here is the problem: all these disjointed products are of a bygone OcuSync 2.0 era; from apps (Go, Fly) to product lines, everything is disjointed. This was DJI’s experimental phase.

I like where DJI is heading now. Most of their latest drones are sharing the OcuSync 3.0 platform. There is clear distinction between product lines; Mavic 3, Air 2S, FPV Drone will have elements in common, which hopefully allow more cross platform product compatibility.

Anyway, have you looked into Moverio BT-40/40S glasses for FPV?

Here is the problem: all these disjointed products are of a bygone OcuSync 2.0 era; from apps (Go, Fly) to product lines, everything is disjointed. This was DJI’s experimental phase.

I like where DJI is heading now. Most of their latest drones are sharing the OcuSync 3.0 platform
I doubt it will be any better. There are now 5 things with Ocusync 2.0 but it doesn't mean all the Ocusync 2.0 things work together already.
Been like that for years, I'd be surprised if it changed.

You can get anything that takes HDMI in, but while bulky the DJI goggles are by far the best HDMI HMD around.

Reactions: bonzo
I am willing to sell my white DJI goggles. I have everything but the box and the instructions. If you’re interested send me a PM. They are basically brand new I’ve only used them literally four times. I did take off the top part of the headband so that they would fit on your head better but it can easily be put back on.

I am willing to sell my white DJI goggles. I have everything but the box and the instructions. If you’re interested send me a PM. They are basically brand new I’ve only used them literally four times. I did take off the top part of the headband so that they would fit on your head better but it can easily be put back on.
Hey there, thanks for the offer! I own the DJI Racing Edition goggles

I just needed something lighter and less dorky haha

Hey there, thanks for the offer! I own the DJI Racing Edition goggles

I just needed something lighter and less dorky haha
I got the RE thinking I could use them when the sun was overhead, problem is the heat, as heavy as the RE are you start sweating then the fog sets in. Of course the limited range and unusable control of the drone with the RE didn't help but the corners blurring along with having to re-adjust the goggles constantly put an end to that experiment.
I thought I'd look at using the RE on the Mini 2 but doing research on a 'casting' device to HDMI for the RE I turned up GOOVIS Lite and its GOOVIS Cast device. - Small, light weight, 2K an eye with vision correction for those of us that wear glasses (my German RE lens cost over $100) and the GOOVIS are ventilated to stop the 'fog'. I haven't found anyone that has the GOOVIS Lite goggles on a DJI but there is instruction for the GOOVIS D3 controller to replace your phone.

Reactions: Mike Shock

I have a set of RE goggles that I used for some time now. Most of course with my M2P. Since I am flying my Air2S more these days I simply connect the googles via HDMI to my SC. Works just fine. Of course no head tracking, but that really never worked well with the M2P anyway.

I've tried several options one of the best has been a pair of glasses by mad gaze. I used the Mad Gaze Glow Plus. They worked perfectly.

I own a set of RE goggles for some time now. I used these goggles to fly my M2P for a couple of years. Since I purchased an Air2s I can't use the RE goggles other than via HDMI. Not much of a bother since I never used the head tracking with the M2P anyway. However, the RE goggles are clumsy large and even with corrective lens attachments it is nearly impossible to properly focus my "old" eyes on the screen.

Since I am stuck with just HDMI connections anyway, I opted to get a set of Fat Shark HDO2 goggles. They work absolutely flawlessly with my SC over HDMI. Furthermore, they have good optics to allow individual eye diopter corrections (very wide range) along with the individual eye IPD adjustments. These goggles are expensive and incorporate a very nice OLED screen producing a 46 degrees FOV. Needless to say, much less than the DJI RE box goggles (actually I had to reduce the HDMI image size because with the large FOV and poor focus, the edges of the image are very poor). So given that the HDO2 properly adjusted produces a full 46 degrees FOV totally sharp and clear, it is actually quite alright with me.

Addendum to my reference to HDO2 goggles. Just finished my first flight with them using my Air2s and I am duly impressed about the performance. Very clear, sharp image and no issues with tapping into the HDMI out of my SC. In contrast to the RE goggles where the FOV is really too much which ends up causing vertigo (I always had to either lean on something solid or sit down while flying). Also the large FOV combined with some focusing problems made my flights rather uncomfortable at times. None of this with the HDO2. The 46 degrees FOV is really just right to take in the full view without getting air-sick. Not knowing how it will work, I started out with open area then progressing into more tricky situations. I felt very comfortable doing the latter. Due to the excessive emersion of the RE goggles, I ended up "panicking" way to often and way to early. The HDO2 make me feel in control. I find it a good (however rather expensive) choice. In addition the Fat Shark battery pack contains energy to support the FPV system. Since I don't have that and simply use them as an HDMI display, these batteries last a long time on one charge. Not sure how many hours yet. The price of the V2 DJI goggles is about the same, but then you have to deal with mostly unavailable corrective lenses which never really work out well (same deal as my current RE goggles).

Mavic 3 here. I'm think about buying the new version of Epson Moverios. Enjoyed the older version, minus the slower overheating processor. I like being able to watch my back when flying at parks, and meeting "VLOS" req so I won't be harassed.

Additionally the BT-40S comes with a better computer so I won't need to waste money on the RC Pro controller.(smart controller.) Really good colors, oled, and minimalist lightweight design that doesn't give me VR burn on my face ;D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike