DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What beginner videos should I watch?

black_magic100

Reactions
I just bought a mavic and I have been watching a ton of youtube vidoes, but I have found that the majority of them are filled with a tremendous amount of pointless talking. Some videos are much longer than they need to be and it makes it harder to remember everything. Am I best off sticking with the manual?

Bonus question: Is the warranty worth it and how do I get it on a used drone?

Reactions: nap
Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. Most of the drone videos, uhm, "drone" on and on. I think these people just like hearing the sound of their own voice. I mean, seriously, they are 10 minutes long with 30 seconds of usable content. And, points made in several of them are just plain wrong (which could hurt a new pilot). Sadly, there are not just a few that have everything you need, in as few words as possible. I would say, just keep watching more and more of them. Definitely "know" the manual, inside and out. But that is just the 'tech' directly related to your drone. You need to know the FAA recommendations, safe flying procedures...etc. So keep watching.

There is a system in place for getting DJI Refresh on a used drone, whereby you create a video following the exact guidelines that DJI requires (sorry, I don't have the link - just contact DJI - or someone like @msinger might post a link below)... "Is it worth it?" If you crash, yes. If not... You won't know until you need it.

Patience, practice and knowledge are keys to you keeping your MP healthy.

And a personal articles policy from State Farm insurance. Same price or less than dji refresh and no questions asked for claim.

Watch all the drone crash compilations - you will learn what NOT to do.

Am I best off sticking with the manual?
The Mavic manual is a great place to start. Here are some other resources you might find useful:
Is the warranty worth it
Check out the DJI Care Refresh FAQ for more details about DJI Care Refresh. See these search results to see what people think about DJI Care Refresh.

how do I get it on a used drone?
You can buy DJI Care Refresh here. Since your Mavic has already been activated, you'll need to submit a video to DJI to show your Mavic is in working order. Check out this page for more details.

Patience, practice and knowledge are keys to you keeping your MP healthy.

And a personal articles policy from State Farm insurance. Same price or less than dji refresh and no questions asked for claim.

Does that also cover if you lose it? I know DJI refresh doesn't unless it's proven to be a manufacturing error

I just bought a mavic and I have been watching a ton of youtube vidoes, but I have found that the majority of them are filled with a tremendous amount of pointless talking. Some videos are much longer than they need to be and it makes it harder to remember everything. Am I best off sticking with the manual?

Bonus question: Is the warranty worth it and how do I get it on a used drone?
Disclaimer: Self Promotion Coming in 3 . . . 2. . . . check out 51 Drones. I've been told at least some of my stuff has helped newbies, and I get to the point quickly. I still consider myself a newbie!

I like this one:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. Not a lot of talk and actually shows Mavic in action. My advise to add would be to tape some ribbon or streamers to the gimbal guard so it is very obvious when it is installed. It is easy to miss that little clear piece of plastic when you are excited to get flying.

As for DJI refresh or warranty/insurance, it only pays off if needed. Until then all it buys is some peace of mind. Just be careful flying over water; it is more difficult getting coverage if you do not have the hardware to return.

As for DJI refresh on a used Mavic or a new Mavic that has been activated for longer than 48 hours; DJI has instructions for taking a video of the Mavic in flight to verify its operation. Instructions are here: DJI_Care Customer Upload Information

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy the Heater

Whoa that's legit?? How exactly do I obtain this for my drone? I'm only 20 years old and I have never dealt with insurance as my parents are kind enough to take care of it for me. I'm not even sure we have statefarm.

Whoa that's legit?? How exactly do I obtain this for my drone? I'm only 20 years old and I have never dealt with insurance as my parents are kind enough to take care of it for me. I'm not even sure we have statefarm.
My post above has links to obtain DJI coverage. For other insurance you will need to check with the carrier.

I have read instances of DJI replacing a drone that has not been found (sunk, lost, whatever) by reading the flight logs. I believe the logs would have to show a hardware/software error. It is rare but has happened.

Reading the manual is a must. Half the YouTube videos I watched appears they missed that step. It's not the kind of product you want to work out as you go along.

Also found it best to watch crash videos where the cause is explained. Crash posts on here are also a good read. Feel gutted for the posters but invaluable for learning what not to do.

Don't get to hung up on it though, get out, take it easy and get some practice in and enjoy.

Refresh is well worth it. You may not need to use it but I'd make a point of getting it for peace of mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista