Why did you buy a mavic?

• To use on special occasions/trips like a DSLR

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • As a toy and shooting video and photos was an added bonus

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other, please explain below

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters
I choose 'other'. I did purchase it for all the options listed. An expensive toy... with the added bonus of video/pics... that can be used on those special occasions as well. Mostly to get my arse off this couch and outta the house! I've got a long way to go on learning the video aspect of this awesome machine... I guess mainly the editing end of it. I mostly look forward to just getting out and flying.

A mix of both for me, I've wanted a drone for a while but the size/weight limited their use. With the Mavic I can easily take it with me for dog walks or cycles, have a play with it and/or get some photos and video from angles I've never seen before.

John

Easy one. Peeping Tommery, Tom-foolery, and general no-goodery of course. Are you all suggesting there may be another use for these things?

Reactions: pilotattitude
Just curious to see if people bought the mavic as an expensive toy because they like flying drones and being able to shoot 4K videos and photos was a huge bonus for a hobbyist that is getting into video/photo or did people buy the mavic to use a professional tool like a DSLR where it would only see daylight on special occasions or trips?

I personally bought the mavic as an expensive toy and being able to shoot high quality videos and photos was a huge bonus due to me wanting to get a feet wet in video production/editing for fun in my free time, and not to mention the super small form factor.

As I work in MI5 procurement (Q section - you may have heard of us) we had been working on something similar but were having issues with size. We initially had gone down the just add water route, but found that as we couldn't re-shrink the device it became single use. This is nothing new to our field operations who rarely return equipment after first use anyway. Even advanced vehicles have been known to be destroyed by our highly trained but highly reckless operatives.

When the blueprints came through from our man in China in July 2016 we were blown away with how they had resolved the miniaturisation issue.

Foldability. Who knew?

After placing an initial order for 5 and having the prototypes delivered, our team were too busy flying it to bother reverse engineering it. Word spread through our office very quickly (we're not very good with secrets) resulting in everyone at GCHQ needing one as standard issue kit. As we need to ensure consistency of supply we insisted that our order for the first 50,000, to come off the production line, be prioritised. Later we were surprised to hear that there was a worldwide shortage, because we had received our quota without any issue.

Anyway, as you can tell, I don't like to talk about what we do here and I need to get back to the X-ray Goggles project. Miniaturisation of those airport machines has also not been plain sailing but just found that we can fit it all into DJI Goggles which are 80% empty space. They were designed that way, we believe, to provide a crumple zone to protect users. Not from spacial awareness accidents, but from injuries sustained once a user finds out what they look like whilst wearing them.

Please attempt to read the text below as although you may think you are organic, you're actually likely to be a cybernetic slave working in a joint US/UK collaboration. We have created a data string which will wipe the previous text from your memory....

Jfefbhujgfdfnjkmngffgmhvghjkjggyuwqwsfghgfgjjkkoohgvffhhffhhfbgsfbbgdfhffbgrthbdfukhbbvxdfggsweddxcadfbjjikgfeefgcsfaxczefvfd

If you find that you've not had your memory wiped, it's okay, we'll send someone round soon to sort you out.

As I work in MI5 procurement (Q section - you may have heard of us) we had been working on something similar but were having issues with size. We initially had gone down the just add water route, but found that as we couldn't re-shrink the device it became single use. This is nothing new to our field operations who rarely return equipment after first use anyway. Even advanced vehicles have been known to be destroyed by our highly trained but highly reckless operatives.

When the blueprints came through from our man in China in July 2016 we were blown away with how they had resolved the miniaturisation issue.

Foldability. Who knew?

After placing an initial order for 5 and having the prototypes delivered, our team were too busy flying it to bother reverse engineering it. Word spread through our office very quickly (we're not very good with secrets) resulting in everyone at GCHQ needing one as standard issue kit. As we need to ensure consistency of supply we insisted that our order for the first 50,000, to come off the production line, be prioritised. Later we were surprised to hear that there was a worldwide shortage, because we had received our quota without any issue.

Anyway, as you can tell, I don't like to talk about what we do here and I need to get back to the X-ray Goggles project. Miniaturisation of those airport machines has also not been plain sailing but just found that we can fit it all into DJI Goggles which are 80% empty space. They were designed that way, we believe, to provide a crumple zone to protect users. Not from spacial awareness accidents, but from injuries sustained once a user finds out what they look like whilst wearing them.

Please attempt to read the text below as although you may think you are organic, you're actually likely to be a cybernetic slave working in a joint US/UK collaboration. We have created a data string which will wipe the previous text from your memory....

Jfefbhujgfdfnjkmngffgmhvghjkjggyuwqwsfghgfgjjkkoohgvffhhffhhfbgsfbbgdfhffbgrthbdfukhbbvxdfggsweddxcadfbjjikgfeefgcsfaxczefvfd

If you find that you've not had your memory wiped, it's okay, we'll send someone round soon to sort you out.

Inspired

Reactions: HeavensAbove
I enjoy ADV motorcycle riding and photography. Having an Aerial Photography (AP) platform just adds an additional dimension to my photos/videos. The small/compact size of the Mavic allows me to take it along with my other gear without it taking up much more space than another camera.

I also do enjoy flying drones, but thats really secondary to capturing an image/picture.

I enjoy spending my time hillwalking and Scotland has some of the best scenery going. Buying the mavic was the best way for me to capture some awesome footage on the hills Thumbswayup

do a lots of traveling want to capture awesome footage from above around the world. Mavic makes it possible easy to carry

Always enjoyed wind related water sports and videography. Really got into using GoPro's since they first came out. Here's a really crappy resolution edit I did with the family and hobbies using a GoPro and traditional video cams. Houseboy Video #3

I thought it would be great to add in some close up drone footage. Of course low altitude flying over water on windy days with a bunch of kiteboarders/windsurfers all over will be a challenge but I think the Mavic is worthy contender for the job. Sorry, those scenic landscape shots from 60+ feet up just don't interest me much, though I suspect my failing joints will be content to spend more time behind the camera instead of in front of it....

Side benefit for this aging waterman who hasn't sat at an office desk for eons: staying half way current with all things techie. I even bought a 3D printer to whip up some add on goodies....

I really wanted a camera drone to add to my photography tool bag and also something portable so the P4P was out. That being said, I also love to fly and have been flying various RC stuff for around seven years (started with a Syma s107 and worked up to a 4s FPV racer). -CF

Reactions: Clinton1
I love watercolor paintings and wanted a drone that could change the real world into watercolor @ 4K.

Spying mostly, my neighbor is a former Soviet KGB member I'm pretty sure... he has a red car, and you know what they say about people with red cars.

But since then I've fallen in love with the long range flights. I can't wait for the day to push it to the max!

Spying mostly, my neighbor is a former Soviet KGB member I'm pretty sure... he has a red car, and you know what they say about people with red cars.

But since then I've fallen in love with the long range flights. I can't wait for the day to push it to the max!

What do they say about people with red cars?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman