DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What DJI dealers are not obligated to charge TAX?

Reference? There's no exemption from collecting sales tax based on revenue here in MS.
If you buy within your state then 100% sure you will be charged TAX. Period.

If you buy outside your state then you can find a seller who falls into the IRS category to not be obligated to collect Tax.

Look at the following link and you'll see there is a "Tax threshold for sales and/or number of transactions" based on your state where sellers are not obligated to collect tax:

Seems like you will more likely find a seller within Texas, New York or California cuz these states have the largest tax threshold for sellers before they are obligated to collect Sales Tax.

It is amazing how much misinformation has been posted in this thread.

I hope this thread is still helpful for anyone who like me, believe to have valid reasons to skip (within the law) paying the tax.

Peace.

Last edited:
If you buy within your state then 100% sure you will be charged TAX. Period.

If you buy outside your state then you can find a seller who falls into the IRS category to not be obligated to collect Tax.

Look at the following link and you'll see there is a "Tax threshold for sales and/or number of transactions" based on your state where sellers are not obligated to collect tax:

Seems like you will more likely find a seller within Texas, New York or California cuz these states have the largest tax threshold for sellers before they are obligated to collect Sales Tax.

It is amazing how much misinformation has been posted in this thread.

I hope this thread is still helpful for anyone who like me, believe to have valid reasons to skip (within the law) paying the tax.

Peace.
Thanks very much for posting that. It looks like a reasonable source of information.

So, for a given state, there may be a minimum threshold for collection of sales tax on online sales. That differs from direct sales in state. Good to know.

With the threshold being $100,000 to $500,000 and a drone sales transaction of $2500, the online dealer could sell only 40 to 200 drones per year and avoid collecting sales tax. And that's if they had no sales of other products during the year. If drones represented half of total sales, the annual limit would be 20 to 100 drone sales. I suspect DJI has higher minimums for dealers.

I'd be hesitant to buy from a dealer whose sales volumes were so low. But, if anyone finds a reliable DJI dealer in those three high threshold states, please post a note.

I'd love to legally avoid paying sales taxes, but I'm not seeing an opportunity on the Mavic 3 Pro upgrade. (Yes, there's going to be another good used Mavic 3 hitting the market soon.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Thanks very much for posting that. It looks like a reasonable source of information.

So, for a given state, there may be a minimum threshold for collection of sales tax on online sales. That differs from direct sales in state. Good to know.

With the threshold being $100,000 to $500,000 and a drone sales transaction of $2500, the online dealer could sell only 40 to 200 drones per year and avoid collecting sales tax. And that's if they had no sales of other products during the year. If drones represented half of total sales, the annual limit would be 20 to 100 drone sales. I suspect DJI has higher minimums for dealers.
With all the hard time US government is giving to DJI I think it's very possible DJI is giving up high minimums to dealers. It seems like to me.
I'd be hesitant to buy from a dealer whose sales volumes were so low.
That sales numbers analysis you did sound logic. But my in experience there are lot of other factors in the industry dynamics in real life. A common market practice is owning several companies offering the same products line and service for the same market in order to take advantage of IRS benefits and to protect your market share. For example 4wheelparts, 4wd, TruckParts. Same owners, same warehouses, same distribution channels, same prices, same inventory.

If I'm an online retailer and the ability to not be obligated to collect taxes will boost my sales, I will definitely have a number of LLC's necessary to keep up with my demand at the same time I keep sales totals low enough.
But, if anyone finds a reliable DJI dealer in those three high threshold states, please post a note.
Advexure.com
Dronefly.com

My first option to order was Advexure.com but they never replied to my messages and seems their web store still doesn't have the Mavic 3 PRO line.

So I already placed my order with Dronefly.com

I'll follow-up on how my purchase goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Ok just a Follow Up.

After researching more on Dronefly.com I found the following:

1) My assumptions having many small companies were right and the seller www.Dronefly.com is also the same as the seller www.dslrpros.com and maybe more small businesses.
2) I found reviews with mostly Horror stories from past customers about very dishonest practices on both facebook accounts. So I decided to cancel my order with them.

I also have tried to make contact with Advexure.com and so far after several days trying to get an answer from them it seems like that business is dead so another red flag there.

So I'll just go ahead and order directly from DJI.

I'll come back when I get my order ;)

Thank you all for your good advice and information shared.

@jomeza001 Where or how have you tried to make contact with us? You're hearing it from the source, Advexure hasn't gone anywhere. :cool: Call us at 855-625-2055, email or live chat. Our team is always available and always monitoring forums like this as well.

Reactions: Torque
@jomeza001 Where or how have you tried to make contact with us? You're hearing it from the source, Advexure hasn't gone anywhere. :cool: Call us at 855-625-2055, email or live chat. Our team is always available and always monitoring forums like this as well.
I was leaving messages on your Chat.

and finally today it worked!

A nice lady on your Chat took care of me and all my questions were responded.

I will come back to this thread when I receive my order from Advexure ;)

I was leaving messages on your Chat.

and finally today it worked!

A nice lady on your Chat took care of me and all my questions were responded.

I will come back to this thread when I receive my order from Advexure ;)
I'm glad we got you taken care of, and sorry if you had previous difficulties. If we can be of any further assistance, contact us any time. Enjoy your new aircraft when it arrives! Fly safe.

Ok Just to let you know that today my purchase from www.Advexure.com is out for delivery. It was sent 2 day UPS shipping service which I love it.

I will update on my delivery later today when I receive it.

Well it is my pleasure to report that my order from www.Advexure.com arrived 2 day shipping Fedex with no problems from California to Georgia.

Everything is Genuine DJI and brand new and I am very pleased to have chosen Advexure for my business.

Today Sunday I had a question and left a message on their website Chat... and they have responded TODAY SUNDAY!

YOU CAN NOT BEAT THAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. P e r i o d.

This speaks a lot of the great business Vision and professionalism this company has. I'm always VERY excited to find businesses like this that despite the hard times after COVID, they keep raising the bar with an outstanding overall buying experience.

I highly recommend looking to do business with www.Advexure.com.

I've been checking their facebook page and I can tell they are actively participating in everything Drone related and working with different institutions like Fire Department and the like.

Lets help this business and any others that like them are offering a great product, at the best price and with the best customer service.

Speaking for myself, I will do all I can to spread the word about buying your DJI products with www.advexure.com because they well deserve it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Advexure
So here my final thoughts.

When I came here to MavicPilots.com I had questions and no answers.

Then I had to research about the Tax regulations and then I had to email a bunch of online DJI Dealers looking for one that is not obligated to collect sales taxes.

When I found two DJI dealers I tried one first then had to cancel my order because they had terrible reviews. I then kept researching and finally ordered from www.Advexure.com and the overall purchase experience was very pleasant and smooth since the beginning until the end.

My intention when I created this thread is to leave the answers through my experience to make it easier for other Drone enthusiast with the same question I had.

My initial question on my first post:

"Where to buy DJI Drone product line online without having to pay the Taxes"

The answer is... If you want to skip paying taxes on your Drone purchase or basically any purchase... You need to find a DJI Dealer outside your home state who falls into the IRS category to not be obligated to collect Tax.

The following link explains it in a very simple and easy to understand way that there is a "Tax threshold for sales and/or number of transactions" based on your state where sellers are not obligated to collect tax:

smallbiztrends.com

The Ultimate Guide to Online Sales Tax (2023)

Seems like you will more likely find a seller within Texas, New York or California because these states have the largest tax threshold for sellers before they are obligated to collect Sales Tax.

If you are outside California then I recommend you to order from www.Advexure.com based in California. They have PROVEN TO BE THE BEST OPTION I COULD FIND.

I am very pleased not only because they did not collected tax for my purchase but because of their super quick customer service and they are genuinely interested in providing with customer needs and questions every time I went back with them. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM.

Happy Flying to everyone!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom