DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What DJI dealers are not obligated to charge TAX?

special agent for the IRS
You may be right about that as someone might actually try it… I probably should have added a few "LoLs" in there as in Virginia, the cost of a business license is a lot more than the probable amount of sales tax and if they keep their license for any period of time, the annual renewal fees will soon creep up to more than the initial cost of the Drone…

As for your Dad being an IRS agent, he probably was not just an accountant, but also a law enforcement officer and he was probably armed, right?

As for breaking the law, if your state has a sales tax law, then you are probably also required to report all of your purchases made at garage and yard sales. Here is Virginia it is required, but who does it? So there are probably millions and millions of scofflaws all over this county and does your state require this and if so, do you submit your fair share?

tenor.gif

Reactions: Torque
Well It depends on where you live. I am not charged any tax.
DE has no sales tax either. As a frequent buyer of merchandise through the web, I have found that more and more vendors collect the applicable sales tax for the buyer's state as time goes on and now it is rare to not have to pay it. Anything bought through fleabay gets tax added to the price. As stated above, in those instances where it is not collected, the buyer is most likely supposed to fill out the appropriate form and pay tax on said purchase by April tax time. I know that that is the case in PA. It is/was only a matter of time before our governors quit letting that revenue slip through their fingers. Legal or not, I don't know too many people who are in a hurry to pay that tax.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I'm ready to buy the Mavic 3 Pro but wondering what DJI dealers are not obligated to charge TAX??

I am in Georgia state.

Thanks in advance.
I’m in New York, capital of the taxing universe. BUY DIRECTLY FROM DJI WEBSITE. NO SHIPPING AND NO TAX. I’ve purchased the FPV and the M3pro. It may not be the law but it’s the TRUTH!

Yup, lots of workarounds.
But the easiest and most lawful is as @Starz posted in #4, B&H's free credit card. Tough to beat their prices and they pay your sales tax (in my case, 8.75%).
I pay it off immediately from my checking account.

The vendors do not "charge" sales tax...they merely collect it, record it, report it and forward it to the state...internet vendors have been required for several years now to collect sales tax ( except the 5 states that have no sales tax)
Well It depends on where you live. I am not charged any tax.
Alaska ( besides being one of the most beautiful places in the world) has no sales tax ...OP's best bet is to drive to Delaware and buy it, or do it through B&H with that card.....B&H has standard prices, and an excellent...make that STELLAR.... reputation....I have bought a lot of photography equipment over the years with 100% satisfaction in price, product, customer service and speed of delivery...I live in NY and have bought a lot of stuff in the store and on line....the store is like a huge supermarket for photo equipment...good luck

Medical and unprepared food is not taxed in Georgia. All other items are taxed at the state of Georgia rate of 4% plus the local county sales tax.
We only have state sales tax in PA and clothing is exempt in addition to unprepared foods. 6% is our rate.

The B&H promo is good but I prefer to get 3% cash back on my CC or 21 months non apr... that's why I'm trying to buy from a vendor not obligated to charge tax and get one of the other benefits from my CC.

I prefer to get 3% cash back on my CC or 21 months non apr... that's why I'm trying to buy from a vendor not obligated to charge tax and get one of the other benefits from my CC.
You need to also consider the venders reputation, Will they ship quickly, will they package the item to prevent damage, will you get an "absolutely, positively New drone" or will the vender say it was opened for "examination…", will they even have it in stock or do they sell so few that they only order one when they receive an order?

Remember, if the deal it too good, think twice. I cannot say if DJI gives big time venders a discount or not, but they definitely do not give small time venders a discount.

The "Best Deal" is not always the "Best Deal"

tenor.gif

Reactions: MARK (LI)
There are 5 states without sales tax ...if a vendor in one of those jurisdictions ships to a jurisdiction that charges sales tax, that vendor, despite being in a sales tax free state must collect the prevailing tax at recipients address......a vendor who does not collect the tax becomes liable for the tax and fines and penalties...that is the law...so if a vendor is willing to break the law ...is he someone you can trust in this transaction?...To be honest, your efforts to save a few dollars tell me you are looking to play in a game you can't afford.

• Wow
Am I correct to believe it is the sellers responsibility to collect and pay the tax?
Yes...and the State Department of Taxation and Finance perform unannounced audits ( at least here in new York)......They take one three month period ( a business quarter) and go through your bank statements and invoices to make sure you included, collected, deposited and reported and paid the sales tax. If they find a transaction for which the vendor did not collect and report the tax, they total up the tax due and multiply that by 12 and that is the fine..plus the amount that was not paid to begin with.....if a vendor bills someone and the purchaser won't pay the tax, it is the vendor's responsibility to "go after" the purchaser.
Of course there are instances in which a purchaser may be tax exempt, like a church, a government agency, or reseller...for each category, there is a specific "Tax Exempt Certificate"....but you must have a copy of that on file in your office at the time of the audit...so there is no legitimate way around paying sales tax, except to drive to one of the states that does not charge the tax to buy it in person......and some of those states may even have local jurisdictions like a county or township with its own sales tax.

Am I correct to believe it is the sellers responsibility to collect and pay the tax?
If I live in a Sales Tax Free state, and I sell an item through eBay (for instance…), and the purchaser is from a state that has a sales tax, eBay will automatically include the tax in the sale and shipping fee (if any…) and eBay will send the sales tax money to the purchaser's state treasury…

BTW, eBay even levies that sales tax against the shipping, since it is a service it is tax exempt, but they still charge it, I wonder if they actually send it to the state or if they keep their ill-gotten gains…

If I live in a Sales Tax Free state, and I sell an item privately (for instance Craigslist, Newspaper, Magazine, or Internet Advertisement, etc) and the purchaser is from a state that has a sales tax, I will not collect the sales tax. If the purchaser's state requires that sales tax be paid even from out of state purchases, it then incumbent upon the purchaser to pay the required sales tax.

Here is Virginia, if I were to purchase sales taxable items from an entity that does not collect the sales tax, I am required to pay that sales tax at the time I file my state tax returns… Yes, when yu fill out your Virginia state tax form, you are asked if you bought any items that were not taxed. And when you check that box, "NO", you are swearing an oath that you do not own any sales taxes for those purchases.

Items sold at Garage or Yard Sales are classified as "Casual Sales" and therefore not taxable in Virginia… Of course, if you buy a car at a garage sale, the DMV will collect the tax when you register it… And they charge you the higher of the two, the amount written on the receipt or the value of the vehicle in their "little blue book…"

If your Grandma gave you her car as a gift, it is not taxable, but there are a lot of "Hoops" you have to jump through to prove it was a gift…

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
There is a difference between a private sale and a sale by a vendor who buys his inventory wholesale and provides a reseller certificate so he does not pay sales tax on that purchase of goods for resale.....as far as taxing shipping, I think ebay is just covering themselves....shipping does appear to be tax free here in NY ( possibly because of Interstate Commerce laws) , but here in New York the Sales tax is on Sales AND Service....I am a contractor here in NY....I have to collect the sales tax except in cases dealing with a tax exempt organization.....each state has its own set of rules and regs and I think the lawmakers in each one stay up at night thinking of ways to gouge every cent out of the public that they can🙄

If you can't afford the tax you can't afford the drone hobby lol.
Oregon does not charge sales tax, I am told. My buddy uses freight forwarder up there. You buy it, have it shipped to the Oregon freight forwarder and he forwards it to you. Very affordable, especially at DJI pricing.....And set up a Costco business account. Buy items for resale and avoid the sales tax.

• Wow
You need a reseller number to open a COSTCO business account that is tax exempt...your reseller number is your Certificate of Authority number to collect sales tax, which subjects you to audit......they have it all figured out

Amazing amount of thread over less than 200.00
And I do realize that to many folks, that‘s a chunk o change.
The other option to avoid the tax man would be to wait until some private party wants to unload a used one. Based on past history, that may not be a long time.
Wrong. This was not about $200 tax.

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom