DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you do when you encounter another drone being flown at the site you plan to use?

This is a very newbie question. What is the protocol if you arrive at a site to fly your drone and someone else is already there flying their drone?
It's pretty uncommon in the places I fly, but the times it's happened, I just ask about the direction and height of the other drone to ensure separation.

Reactions: mereflyer
It's pretty uncommon in the places I fly, but the times it's happened, I just ask about the direction and height of the other drone to ensure separation.
Since batteries don't last forever, I just relax and wait.

on the very rare occasion this has happened to me ,then i would try to find where the other pilot was ,if they were not visible , and wait for them to land ,and then approach them and introduce myself ,if the other drone was being flown from a distant location the pilot being out of sight, i would just carry on setting up and fly as normal,

Legally speaking pretty sure they have to be kept at some distance apart. If another drone is used to pester you the best solution is probably landing and sitting back to wait, either until they land or hit a tree, that would serve them right for being reckless.

This is a very newbie question. What is the protocol if you arrive at a site to fly your drone and someone else is already there flying their drone?

Thanks!
I like to observe from a distance if I can locate the pilot, then approach when they are back on the ground. Then I can strike up a conversation and make a new friend or if the person is less approachable at least get an idea of what I should be doing to stay out of the way.... its courtesy to give way as they were there first.

Thanks!
Wait a few minutes. They will have to land at some point. Be nice, play nice and most people have no issue with you flying in same area - of course both drones not up at same time. I fly with others and it can be hairy when 2 or more drones are in the air. One buddy is a cowboy and flies low and fast. I tend to fly higher and slower; so we can both technically fly together - just have to be aware of 2 or more drones versus yours only.

Never know - may meet a new droning buddy to go out more with.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I have never had this happen with strangers but on the very few occasions that I have flown along with a friend I would say that it's best to come back another day unless it's a once in a lifetime situation. It's pretty distracting to fly with another drone in the air and you are going to have to discuss your flight plan with the other pilot. Keep in mind..short battery life can sometimes be a virtue :)

Reactions: MARK (LI)
In all my years of flying, I've never had that happen. But since I am usually doing Real Estate work (residential and commercial) I would probably have to ask "what are you doing here LOL"

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Thanks!

You fly carefully and if at all possible "coordinate/communicate" with any other UAS operators in the area.

We have (IRRC) 26 UAS flying in the air at one time back in 2019 for a Search-n-Rescue training with DSAR
img_2897crop_HDR2.jpg

Happened to me last week. We enjoyed a fun drone-related conversation. And when I could I stole a few looks at his spectacular GF. Life is good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes