DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you Guys make of this

It seems to me that the technical issues DJI is having is made far worse by the lack of candid communications with its fiercely loyal customer base. It really is no wonder that the lack of transparency is fomenting all of this speculation and ill will.

I’m sure this manufacturing giant is capable of issuing an official statement detailing the problem and it’s plan for resolution without compromising industry secrets. We deserve nothing less. Many reputable companies send products to market which fail to live up to all expectations. Today, however, we usually don’t let them get away with it without an explanation - nor should we.

Customers don’t expect perfection, just reasonableness.
Orion,

You make a great point, we the consumers don't expect perfection, but we do expect that issues are fixed and promised features are added when we spend our hard earned cash. I think frequent and open communication would go a long way to solving a lot of the frustration out there. That being said, the Mavic 3 is still a great product and hopefully will get better with the next few firmware updates. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to get action is if enough people keep complaining and posting Youtube videos, etc. They can't ignore that much bad publicity forever.

Chinese culture and Chinese business culture is very different than that in the West. Many/most are indifferent to customer Input/complaint. They operate on a frequency alien to us Americans. They will wait you out without even thinking about.

They can't ignore that much bad publicity forever.
Until sales decline because of it they have no reason to NOT ignore it.
Would you care to bet that there will still be a metaphorical queue of people waiting at the door to buy the next model of drone that DJI release and or shouting about "oh I just placed my pre-order"?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Did the degradation of GPS performance occur with the big firmware update which added in all the features which were missing at launch, like hyper lapse, pano, etc.?

"Us Americans", what of the rest of the world?

That's the American mentality. It's only about the US. 😁

P.S. @BaldyBoyBilly, plenty of Western tech companies are equally opaque about their defects. It's not just a DJI thing.

Just an observation I want to make on this for the newer guys around. DJI have a long history of botched releases and unfixed bugs. In the last 2 years their consumer models have been much better but look below the surface and things have not really changed that much. There are bugs on models like the I2, M200 and many many others that were never resolved. M300 has its own issues and it It took 2 years for DJI to release a fix for the TB50 battery compatibly issue on the I2/M200 when swapping between the craft. The I2 gimbal rotation bug fix as part of that release was beta tested well over a year before it actually was released yet sat on the shelf. The Z3 never really worked properly, the I2 and I1 has been crippled by later firmware reducing power output. P3 gets bricked by firmware updates with the 08,15 FPGA issue. On the FPV side there was the reboot issue that was bricking users went on for months till I put a video out saying don’t buy, there are 4 or 5 remaining silly issues like slow SD card error on the FPV that remain unresolved. People have been screaming for canvas mode for well over a year yet they won’t even respond.

DJI having issues and taking months or even years to resolve if ever at all is not unusual, in fact it’s the norm. And as for getting them to even admit something is an issue we’ll that’s also close to impossible. Just read their release notes, you will often see “fixed rare issue” ect. They play every thing down to close to nothing. M200s were falling from the sky for months yet they said nothing till the U.K. CAA grounded them.

Let’s be clear It is not good enough and not acceptable and DJI need to do better but the beast is what the beast is, it’s nether new or out of character, in the passed we had dedicated support reps like Ken and Ed who used to deal directly with engineering. They are gone now and ways in are far more difficult.

DJI is what it is, it remains one of the most innovative and interesting companies but they don’t always deliver users are often left with products that could have been so much more.

Again this is why I always say vote with your wallet as that’s the only thing that they will really take notice off. A few tens of forum users unhappy won’t even raise an eyebrow.

Ian, I hope you are well buddy. Long time no been around the forums so much now. 20K+ posts on RCG is enough for a lifetime lol.

Received my Mavic 3 February 8th. Typically took just a little over 1 minute to ID enough sats to launch. After the latest firmware it still takes a little over 1 minute to launch. The discrepancy I'm reading from different people is what is most perplexing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
This kind of points to different hardware configurations which will be OK if they can figure out how to issue a firmware that covers both but yes lucky you! :)

That's the American mentality. It's only about the US. 😁

P.S. @BaldyBoyBilly, plenty of Western tech companies are equally opaque about their defects. It's not just a DJI thing.
Having conducted business IN China, personally, the Chinese mentality is different than the West. They will say yes, when they really are saying no. And when they say No, they mean No :) Believe it or not…That’s my experience. If you’ve been there on business then I welcome you to share your experience. Otherwise, shhhh:)

Having conducted business IN China, personally, the Chinese mentality is different than the West. They will say yes, when they really are saying no. And when they say No, they mean No :) Believe it or not…That’s my experience. If you’ve been there on business then I welcome you to share your experience. Otherwise, shhhh:)
"Saving Face" is ingrained in their culture.

It’s really simple, DJI does things their way. All the crying and bitc%#* in the free world ain’t gonna change em. Live with the crappy customer care or leave it.
But “good grief, Charlie Brown”…Wahwahwah. Enuff.

Just an observation I want to make on this for the newer guys around. DJI have a long history of botched releases and unfixed bugs. In the last 2 years their consumer models have been much better but look below the surface and things have not really changed that much. There are bugs on models like the I2, M200 and many many others that were never resolved. M300 has its own issues and it It took 2 years for DJI to release a fix for the TB50 battery compatibly issue on the I2/M200 when swapping between the craft. The I2 gimbal rotation bug fix as part of that release was beta tested well over a year before it actually was released yet sat on the shelf. The Z3 never really worked properly, the I2 and I1 has been crippled by later firmware reducing power output. P3 gets bricked by firmware updates with the 08,15 FPGA issue. On the FPV side there was the reboot issue that was bricking users went on for months till I put a video out saying don’t buy, there are 4 or 5 remaining silly issues like slow SD card error on the FPV that remain unresolved. People have been screaming for canvas mode for well over a year yet they won’t even respond.

DJI having issues and taking months or even years to resolve if ever at all is not unusual, in fact it’s the norm. And as for getting them to even admit something is an issue we’ll that’s also close to impossible. Just read their release notes, you will often see “fixed rare issue” ect. They play every thing down to close to nothing. M200s were falling from the sky for months yet they said nothing till the U.K. CAA grounded them.

Let’s be clear It is not good enough and not acceptable and DJI need to do better but the beast is what the beast is, it’s nether new or out of character, in the passed we had dedicated support reps like Ken and Ed who used to deal directly with engineering. They are gone now and ways in are far more difficult.

DJI is what it is, it remains one of the most innovative and interesting companies but they don’t always deliver users are often left with products that could have been so much more.

Again this is why I always say vote with your wallet as that’s the only thing that they will really take notice off. A few tens of forum users unhappy won’t even raise an eyebrow.

Ian, I hope you are well buddy. Long time no been around the forums so much now. 20K+ posts on RCG is enough for a lifetime lol.
Thanks for that input. I guess why myself and others are getting frustrated because this is a consumer drone and not in the rage of inspires etc and for its price tag it should be nearly perfect.

Did the degradation of GPS performance occur with the big firmware update which added in all the features which were missing at launch, like hyper lapse, pano, etc.?
Yes, it started slowly taking longer to get a lock since the 0400 update which came out in December

Until sales decline because of it they have no reason to NOT ignore it.
Would you care to bet that there will still be a metaphorical queue of people waiting at the door to buy the next model of drone that DJI release and or shouting about "oh I just placed my pre-order"?
True, unfortunately we will quickly throw our money away for the next big thing and then start complaining all over again. Customers, myself included need to resist that urge to buy these products when it comes out and wait until we know it works as advertised , maybe then Dji will learn.

One of the ways they kept ahead was to spit out unfinished product to keep the "out first" edge on the competition. What we can do about that is to stop reacting so quickly to their next new model.

This time, that's exactly what I did. While I waited out firmware to fix things, I saw it going the wrong direction, so I spent the money saved on another area.

I think I'll start paying more attention to Autel. Are there others worthy of notice?

Chris

LOL. Maybe just a little. I used to be on a first name basis with the flight attendants that worked Cathay Pacific business class between London and Hong Kong / Beijing.

Back to the point, cultural workplace differences aside, when it comes to being opaque about product defects, DJI is not that different from companies like Apple.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but this sort of practice of updating a broken product is really only become prevalent 'recently' (in the last decade or so). Before high-speed Internet was readily available nearly everywhere, back when people had dial-up connections or painfully slow ADSL, there were no updates to products and software. It was just finished and complete right out of the box (mostly). I personally think that the current trend of "sell it now, fix it later" has really ruined people's expectations of receiving a quality product out of the box. The video game industry suffers this same problem - games are buggy, broken, and sometimes completely unplayable until "the patch" arrives to hopefully fix it. *cough Cyberpunk 2077 cough* This isn't likely to get better, either. Companies know they can send out a half-baked product now, charge the consumer a premium, and promise to fix it later. I'd rather wait longer to get a feature-rich and fully functional product, but a lot of consumers want more and want it faster.

Sheesh, I feel like a grumpy old man now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d