DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What does a red shutter speed mean with the Mavic 2 Pro?

iKenndac

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I mainly use my Mavic for stills photography, and after getting my Mavic 2 Pro earlier this week, I've noticed that sometimes it'll display the shutter speed in red. I never had this with my Mavic Air, and it doesn't seem to be when I'm hitting the limits of anything (for example, cameras will flash the shutter speed at you if it can't make the shutter fast or slow enough for a correct exposure).

For example, in the attached screenshot I have the Mavic in aperture priority mode, and you can see that the shutter speed of 1/160 is in red. I have no idea what it's trying to tell me - the photos came out just fine - and I can't seem to find the answer in the manual.

IMG_0019.PNG

Does anybody know? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodcast and Woodoo
. <— that is my following dot

Hi everyone,

I mainly use my Mavic for stills photography, and after getting my Mavic 2 Pro earlier this week, I've noticed that sometimes it'll display the shutter speed in red. I never had this with my Mavic Air, and it doesn't seem to be when I'm hitting the limits of anything (for example, cameras will flash the shutter speed at you if it can't make the shutter fast or slow enough for a correct exposure).

For example, in the attached screenshot I have the Mavic in aperture priority mode, and you can see that the shutter speed of 1/160 is in red. I have no idea what it's trying to tell me - the photos came out just fine - and I can't seem to find the answer in the manual.

View attachment 48346

Hi I have same red Shutter. its ok when I first power up AC than back to red shutter did you ever find out why

Good question. I've seen this too on many occasions and have wondered about its meaning. Hope someone can clear the air on this.

In the screenshot you're in aperture mode, and the shutter and ISO are changing automatically to maintain EV (Exposure Value) near 0.0
I'm guessing in photo mode it's indicating that the shutter has had to slow down enough that some movement blur is possible.

IMG_7824.PNG
I've noticed the same thing. Most likely a bug in the firmware/app, just like how there is no tap to focus or manual focus control in pano mode...

View attachment 49027
I've noticed the same thing. Most likely a bug in the firmware/app, just like how there is no tap to focus or manual focus control in pano mode...

It might be a bug, but it would take a specific piece of code to turn that field red. So even if it is not acting correctly, it's likely to be intended to mean something.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 48346

I did aerial photography from helicopter for years with film cameras. During sunlit day I shot 50 ASA F5.6 and 1/500th sec focus on infinitity, for ideal exposure.
I'm thinking this may be telling you the shutter speed is close to being too slow for that scene where light is fading fast? Especially if F4 is widest aperture The camera is already losing detail in shadows and reading the predominate brightest area.

Basically at the extream shutter setting, i.e. too fast or too slow I get the same but it also says 'underexposed'

I've seen it every time that I've flown when in A Priority or Manual photo mode. If you're in manual mode then I really don't understand why it would change to red. What would it be indicating? As you can see from my screenshots, my EV is not even too far off.

IMG_7746.PNG

IMG_7748.PNG

The theory regarding slow shutter speeds is an interesting one, but I don't think it's what's going on - in this thread and in my own experience again today, there's red labels for very fast shutter speeds. I guess it's a mystery!

IMG_0032.PNG

Based on those photos it doesn't make sense. I guess you could put up the histogram and see if too many peaks are crammed to one side, but they see fine. I have owned regular point-and-shoot cameras that did this. It usually meant the subject is outside the metering range of the camera. Or that the camera thinks it will be under or over exposed. Or that it recommended tripod use to not get blur. Is it also turning red in video mode?

I get it for things like 360s and panos - fast shutter speeds not slow.
EV/MM is 0 so its not a case of the camera being unable to expose correctly.

so far have never seen it NOT red

Same here. Spent a little while trying to figure it out yesterday with the aircraft on a table in the back yard. I had an ND32 on her as well.

No matter which mode I selected, ( A/S/M,) or what I did with the exposure, it remained red so I'm at a loss. Perhaps the worst part about it for these old eyes though is, it's difficult to read.

KB

If it helps to replicated, go to aperture priority, dial in F/4, set manual exposure then try a 360 pano. Goes red for me then.

I’m running into the same thing with my shutter speed set to 1/50th for video. Normally what that would mean is that the camera is automatically trying to adjust that parameter to reach 0 EV but doesn’t have enough latitude to achieve it and has failed in its attempt, letting you know which setting (shutter speed, ISO, aputure) is close but not successful displayed in red.

I’d say it’s glitching out on the M2P though because I shoot in all manual settings and use ND’s to achieve 0 EV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000