DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happened to APAS?

rando99

Reactions
Ok so I'm new to drone flying and have the new Mavic Air 2...downloaded the usermanual, watched numerous youtube videos about it, but it seems the APAS was changed to a different safety feature that I can find nothing about. I think there are 3 options, OFF, brake or fly around. The manual only talks about the APAS feature. Can anybody point me to some discussion on it? I searched the topic but couldn't find anything specific on it.

The obstacle avoidance can be set to:
  • Off: The drone will fly into an obstacle if you try to
  • Brake: The drone will automatically stop in front of the obstacle and not let you fly into it
  • Bypass (APAS): The drone will try to fly around the obstacle, if it can't it will stop and hover in front
I always recommend to use Brake mode for normal flying because it is more smooth and yaw movements are less jerky. You want to always manually fly around obstacles, not let the drone decide where to go. Brake will save you from crashing into an obstacle, but will not fly around it, in my opinion exactly what you need.
Bypass can be used in some scenarios though: for example in a complex environment like a forest, and also always enable bypass mode during automatic modes such as active track and quickshots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143