DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if the transmitter shuts down in Flight? RTH test

DombiF

Reactions
Last weekend I did a short test what happens if you shut down Mavic Mini's controller in mid-flight. Same should happen in case the drone is out of controller's range.
Good to know, if the zone is not proper to land, the Mini will just hover about 2meters above the take-off pont.

See manual p.13:
after 11 seconds without connection RTH is automatically initiated and "The aircraft cannot return to the Home Point if the GPS signal is weak or unavailable. If the GPS signal become weak or unavailable after RTH is triggered, the aircraft will hover in place for a while, and then start landing."

You're a very brave man! As much as we know DJI implements these "fail safe" features, it stresses us out everytime we see an experiment like this!! Very good to be able to confirm it does, in fact work!

Thanks for the test. Now I know what will happen when I "accidently" disconnect.

Nice test, thanks a lot for posting! I don't think I would have marbles to do it :)

Last weekend I did a short test what happens if you shut down Mavic Mini's controller in mid-flight. Same should happen in case the drone is out of controller's range.
Good to know, if the zone is not proper to land, the Mini will just hover about 2meters above the take-off pont.
Partner, now THAT is what I call a Real landing pad/drone airport............????

See manual p.13:
after 11 seconds without connection RTH is automatically initiated and "The aircraft cannot return to the Home Point if the GPS signal is weak or unavailable. If the GPS signal become weak or unavailable after RTH is triggered, the aircraft will hover in place for a while, and then start landing."
I agree, that with weak GPS it would slowly land, according to the manual. My issue is that there is now way of knowing how many Satellites are connected, at any given time. How do you know if it goes into weak GPS ? I have a new mini and am very concerned about this. How will I know ? Can I fly it back in atti mode or will it simply land ?

My issue is that there is now way of knowing how many Satellites are connected, at any given time. How do you know if it goes into weak GPS ? I have a new mini and am very concerned about this. How will I know ?
The app shows you how many sats are connected.
See #3 at the top of screen here:
Fly app.jpg

Can I fly it back in atti mode or will it simply land ?
Without GPS, you can fly back but without GPS, your drone cannot RTH.
If you didn't fly back, the drone would drift on the breeze until low battery level caused it to autoland.
The good news is that out in the open, with a good sky view, you shouldn't have any problem losing GPS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000