DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if you loss connection with your mini 2 i. e gose behind trees etc?

please refer to the online manual ,it is all explained in there ,it will do several things depending on what signal loss action you have chosen in the app

And DO be careful about which loss of signal option you set. All of them can have unforseen consequences if you do not know how each option behaves.

What happens if you loss connection with your mini 2 i. e gose behind trees etc what dose it do and how do you establish contact with it?
Here's a more useful reply to your question.
If you fly behind obstacles, a building, trees, hills etc, you will usually lose signal.
What happens after losing signal is explained on p15 of your manual in the Failsafe RTH section.

Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 11 seconds.
When the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 and above, the aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH.
The aircraft enters Straight Line RTH if the remote controller signal is restored during Failsafe RTH.
When the aircraft flies backwards along the original flight path and the distance from the Home Point is less than 20 m, the aircraft stops flying backward on the original flight route and enters Straight Line RTH at the current altitude.In DJI Fly, users can change the settings of how the aircraft responds when the remote controller signal is lost.
The aircraft will not execute Failsafe RTH if land or hover has been selected in the settings.

As for the Loss of Signal options mentioned in one of the replies above, the default setting is RTH and unless you change it, that doesn't change.
And for almost all flight situations, RTH is the only option that makes any sense.
Do not change that unless you have a specific reason to.

I think the point of the first 2 replies was to get the OP to read the manual, which is why I limited my answer.
The manual is a large document.
He was asking a clear question but the RTM reply just says ... find out for yourself, without even giving a clue what he should be looking for.
I thought I'd be a little more helpful since it's not difficult.

The manual is a large document.
He was asking a clear question but the RTM reply just says ... find out for yourself, without even giving a clue what he should be looking for.
I thought I'd be a little more helpful since it's not difficult.
Thankyou for that, i figured it out now

Reactions: E90RAW
What happens if you loss connection with your mini 2 i. e gose behind trees etc what dose it do and how do you establish contact with it?
Make sure your RTH is set above the highest structure or the drone will run into whatever is in the way on its return to home. (ex-tree height is 100 feet RTH should be set to 125 feet). Also, if you lose signal just go higher with drone and you will obtain the signal back most likely, avoiding RTH. The further away you go the higher the drone must be in order to have contiguous signal(unless you are over water or starting from a mountain top).

Make sure your RTH is set above the highest structure or the drone will run into whatever is in the way on its return to home. (ex-tree height is 100 feet RTH should be set to 125 feet). Also, if you lose signal just go higher with drone and you will obtain the signal back most likely, avoiding RTH. The further away you go the higher the drone must be in order to have contiguous signal(unless you are over water or starting from a mountain top).
Yes thanks for that, i always check my
R.T.H height and make sure its at a respectable altitude ?

My experience is very limited, but I have purposefully put multiple buildings between the Mini 2 and myself with no loss of connection.

I have also purposefully flown my drone well over 1/4 mile away from me, and "settled down" amongst the trees in a small open spot 4 or 5 feet above the ground, with a hay barn and a potato cellar between me and the drone, turned my back to the drone so controller was facing away... without loss of connection.

I am mightily impressed with this thing.

My experience is very limited, but I have purposefully put multiple buildings between the Mini 2 and myself with no loss of connection.

I have also purposefully flown my drone well over 1/4 mile away from me, and "settled down" amongst the trees in a small open spot 4 or 5 feet above the ground, with a hay barn and a potato cellar between me and the drone, turned my back to the drone so controller was facing away... without loss of connection.

Yes i am delighted with it the 4k footage and having raw in the still camera is very good indeed, have you had any problems with the gimbal banking in normal mode or sport as there's ment to be a problem with it see youtube link

Ok so now an explanation as to why I said be careful about the failsafe option choice.
There are, as you have probably seen, 3 failsafe options, RTH, hover and land.
Regarding "land", if it does indeed land then that should be the end of the flight, it lands, stops the motors and waits for you to recover it, end of that story.
BUT it can reject the landing site and then it hovers, remember in wind it could be being blown away during this hover. It will continue to hover UNTIL the low battery RTH is triggered, then it will RTH. The RTH could put it up in to wind with all the problems that that means. I can see a reason for choosing something other than RTH if you were loosing it in the wind but you need to be aware of what can happen etc., hence this post.

I have experimented with "hover" and switching my MM's controller off, the MM hovered until the low battery RTH was trggered and then it did start to RTH.

The Mini 2 manual says "When the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 and above, the aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH".

Personally I would experiment to see whether it literally reverses along the original course and then climbs or climbs during the reverse or just flies straight back for 50m and......etc. etc.

I would also experiment to clarify the meaning of "When the aircraft flies backwards along the original flight path and the distance from the Home Point is less than 20 m, the aircraft stops flying backward on the original flight route and enters Straight Line RTH at the current altitude."

Last edited by a moderator:

Its basic physics. But one thing I've learned regardless of how impressed I am with these devices, NEVER let your guard down. Just when you get comfortable (or cocky) BAMMMM! I have had my M2P 5 miles away over water and that really impressed me. Of course when my battery was at 20% on the way home I was ________ a brick. But she made it home thanks to good planning with the wind in the sails.

Reactions: ICHOTT
You might retain signal through small wooden buildings or a few trees, but your control signal will not penetrate steel and concrete buildings, thick forest or rocks.

Ken Heron made a video where he was below a rock wall and flew a mini 2 on the other side of it and maintained signal. Quite impressive.

Ken Heron made a video where he was below a rock wall and flew a mini 2 on the other side of it and maintained signal. Quite impressive.
Interesting but abnormal.
You cannot count on being able to do similar things.
The radio signal cannot pass through solid rock like that.
It must have been reflecting to keep signal that way.

Reactions: FabiogSP
FWIW, I prefer the INITIAL brief responses by others to ‘RTFM’ as a first response, it isn’t hard to read and it isn’t long if you’re bothered!
Too many times questions are a lazy way to get someone else to do the hard work which is of course what happened here.
Then having ‘read’ the manual any clarifying questions are exactly what this forum is here for, IMHO
We all know that ‘doing it yourself’ is the best way to learn.

So, My advice to the OP is eg wrt RTH and the original question by OP is “now you know, get out there, simulate the loss of signal (switch the controller off in open space) and try the permutations mentioned and report back so others learn more too.
Over to you OP ?

BTW, I will indeed be testing these options myself, in open space of course,

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032