DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens to safety when there are too many drones ?

swb_mct

Reactions
It seems like everyone I know is buying a drone. Middle age guys that can afford another "toy". It makes me worry about inevitable collisions with manned aircraft.

In the last week I had 4 manned aircraft fly over at very low altitudes. If I was flying my drone there would have been almost no warning to evade.

1. At my Minneapolis suburban home a helicopter flew over at around 150 foot altitude. I couldn't read any markings through the trees. Usually the choppers in our area are flying at around 400 feet, not at 150 feet.

2. At a very rural lake home in northern Minnesota a GulfStream jet flew over at around 150 feet, apparently buzzing a friend that lives on the lake. There is no airport close enough to make this part of a landing approach.

3. At the same lake a pair of prop military aircraft flew over at about 200 feet (Fort Ripley is about 20 miles away) It was like Thunder - the ground was shaking.

The big sky theory probably makes all of these events a low risk even if I was flying my Mavic, but as more and more people are flying drones, it makes me worry.

Last edited:
Drone owners needs to take responsibility in their hands and fly in a safe area. Away from people and overall, from civilization.

Remote areas like mountains, rivers or public parks are areas considered safe for drones. Just make sure you are not within a 5 miles radio of an airport.

Again, people need to fly with safety in their head and teach others as well. It will make the experience better for everyone.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I agree, but I was citing circumstances that were unexpected and a 20mph drone can't necessary get out of the way of a Jet flying near ground level in a place nowhere near any airports.

Reactions: James33
That's what I meant. The pilot of the was flying irresponsibly. It there's a crash (drone involved or not), there'll be an investigation and they'll find that jet pilot was flying irresponsibly.

Reactions: Kilrah
This past Labor Day fireworks extravaganza there were more drones in the sky that I have ever witnessed.

The area was a complete NFZ and the crowd was a good 20,000+ strong. It was dark and there were helicopters and planes flying low over the city. Some drones just hovered while the others flew recklessly over the crowd almost looking like they were going to collide with each other.

Everyone has to get that “my **** is bigger than yours” shot. It’s only going to be a matter of time....

It's been four decades since I took my FAA ground class but 150 above ground level is WAY (criminally) too low for a civilian aircraft over a residential area. Minimum safe altitude (outside of the published climbing and landing areas) was 1000 feet above ground level. If I'm at 400 feet and they're at 1000 feet that's a 600 foot distance to allow for a reasonable amount of stupid. When there are excessive levels of stupid ... bad "stuff" happens.

Drone owners needs to take responsibility in their hands and fly in a safe area. Away from people and overall, from civilization.

Remote areas like mountains, rivers or public parks are areas considered safe for drones. Just make sure you are not within a 5 miles radio of an airport.

Again, people need to fly with safety in their head and teach others as well. It will make the experience better for everyone.
SAFETY is paramount...be safe, fly smart

Reactions: charliesRig
It's been four decades since I took my FAA ground class but 150 above ground level is WAY (criminally) too low for a civilian aircraft over a residential area. Minimum safe altitude (outside of the published climbing and landing areas) was 1000 feet above ground level. If I'm at 400 feet and they're at 1000 feet that's a 600 foot distance to allow for a reasonable amount of stupid. When there are excessive levels of stupid ... bad "stuff" happens.
Exactly. I get that we're supposed to yield to manned aircraft, but there's reasonable limitations to everything. Drivers of land-based manned vehicles are supposed to yield to pedestrians, but if some idiot decides to go jogging across the freeway and gets creamed that's their fault. The fly only in rural areas argument cracks me up because that's where you're MORE likely to encounter manned aircraft flying lower than they should.

That is too many circumstances of low flying aircraft. Maybe your perception of their height may be off a bit.

I was flying my mav air at the top of a suspension bridge and the tower hieght is 384 feet. A helicopter buzzed by low and looked close, but there is no way he would have been less than 500 feet. But to my eyes it looked closer.

Last edited:
This past Labor Day fireworks extravaganza there were more drones in the sky that I have ever witnessed.

The area was a complete NFZ and the crowd was a good 20,000+ strong. It was dark and there were helicopters and planes flying low over the city. Some drones just hovered while the others flew recklessly over the crowd almost looking like they were going to collide with each other.

Everyone has to get that “my **** is bigger than yours” shot. It’s only going to be a matter of time....
And this was where?

It's been four decades since I took my FAA ground class but 150 above ground level is WAY (criminally) too low for a civilian aircraft over a residential area. Minimum safe altitude (outside of the published climbing and landing areas) was 1000 feet above ground level. .

Planes yes, helicopters no.

"Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason? The helicopter's unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is its ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power failure. Further, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility in the application of many FAA provisions."
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/atl/local_more/media/nlowfly.pdf

It seems like everyone I know is buying a drone. Middle age guys that can afford another "toy". It makes me worry about inevitable collisions with manned aircraft.

In the last week I had 4 manned aircraft fly over at very low altitudes. If I was flying my drone there would have been almost no warning to evade.

1. At my Minneapolis suburban home a helicopter flew over at around 150 foot altitude. I couldn't read any markings through the trees. Usually the choppers in our area are flying at around 400 feet, not at 150 feet.

2. At a very rural lake home in northern Minnesota a GulfStream jet flew over at around 150 feet, apparently buzzing a friend that lives on the lake. There is no airport close enough to make this part of a landing approach.

3. At the same lake a pair of prop military aircraft flew over at about 200 feet (Fort Ripley is about 20 miles away) It was like Thunder - the ground was shaking.

The big sky theory probably makes all of these events a low risk even if I was flying my Mavic, but as more and more people are flying drones, it makes me worry.
Curious as to how any of your scenarios (1, 2, or 3) is a situation of "too many drones"?

I'm more concerned how there is no emmision control for planes, helicopter, and missles. These flying things are increasing yearly and destroying the air we breath, yet there are no laws. Drones won't be a concern when all die from asphyxiation.

Interesting piece!

We're in a pretty weird scenario here in Prince Edward County (aka: 'The County') in South East Ontario.

Our location is exactly 5 Klicks from Canada's largest (and main) Air Force Base in Trenton. What prompts us to write is primarily the 'Air Pollution' factor.

On average we see a dozen daily 'Fly Overs' by old (and newer) C130 Hercules Transports. You can see the four contrails of crap floating behind all engines. You also see it on top of outdoor furniture in Summer months.

Just something we have to live with, but still a bit disturbing. However, we wouldn't swap our home in The County for anything.

Back to our newish Mavic Air: we NEVER fly over 200 feet, and mostly a lot less. Why ask for trouble, when open countryside is only a short drive away.

Rgds, NAVMAV

air pollution again :mad:

I guess some people don't realize how their electricity is produced. It would seem to me that people would get smarter on topics with google at their fingertips to teach them anything they want to look up. I guess i they weren't inclined to open a book back in the day they aren't inclined to search google today.

Contrails originate from condensation of vapor coming from internal combustion engines, regardless of being turboprop, turbojet/turbofan or cylinder engine. Vapor is a byproduct of the hydrocarbon (fuel) being combusted with the atmospheric oxygen.

Doubt very much that what you see behind the hercs is anythig more than water vapor.

Guess you'd have to be here, Bushie.

The black crap covering our outdoor picnic table would be unusual water vapor. Looks a lot more like 'un-combusted' J2 Diesel (or whatever they burn these days) to Folks around here.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue