DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What I did to prevent flyaways / locate mini

caplanner

Reactions
I’m a brand new mini and drone owner. Took the mini to Kings River yesterday after a few flights at the park near my home.
Thought I would share my experience and how I prepared:

1. Read the mini forums on this site and check out the YouTube videos. I learned a lot through other’s experience and feedback on mistakes.
2. I set my max height and distance rather low for the first few flights.
3. When I briefly lose site of the mini, I stop flying a hover in place. If I have trouble finding it I look at the area and either lower or raise altitude to locate mini. That helped.
3. When I had trouble with the direction it was facing I did the same thing. Pause, take a deep breath and then find the mini.
4. I did not use RTH unless I wanted to use it to orient drone towards home point. Then I would cancel RTH. It’s easy to land the mini so don’t take a chance on not having an accurate home point or having the drone rise or lower itself into wind or an obstacle.
5. Maybe this should have been first, don’t take off until you have gps and home point.
6. I have made a habit of recentering gimbal, IMU and compass before flying.
7. I see posts about flying too low over water so I keep the mini at least 20 feet above water.

looking at my list, I guess what I’m really doing is avoiding risk but doing it in a way that lets me still enjoy the experience of flying a drone.

I’m a brand new mini and drone owner. Took the mini to Kings River yesterday after a few flights at the park near my home.

1. Read the mini forums on this site and check out the YouTube videos. I learned a lot through other’s experience and feedback on mistakes.
3. When I briefly lose site of the mini, I stop flying a hover in place. If I have trouble finding it I look at the area and either lower or raise altitude to locate mini. That helped.
3. When I had trouble with the direction it was facing I did the same thing. Pause, take a deep breath and then find the mini.
4. I did not use RTH unless I wanted to use it to orient drone towards home point. Then I would cancel RTH. It’s easy to land the mini so don’t take a chance on not having an accurate home point or having the drone rise or lower itself into wind or an obstacle.
5. Maybe this should have been first, don’t take off until you have gps and home point.
7. I see posts about flying too low over water so I keep the mini at least 20 feet above water.

looking at my list, I guess what I’m really doing is avoiding risk but doing it in a way that lets me still enjoy the experience of flying a drone.
It sounds like you did your homework and are going about flying correctly. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any posts from you about “Why did I lose my drone?”
Welcome to the sport and the forum. Have fun!

Good, you never can be to prepared :D

I'm adding point 0.5 ... start reading the manual & follow up & verify by means of point 1.

Then point 6. Should say that is a bit of unnecessary ... don't continue to fix thing's that's working. You can take a quick glance at the sensor status pages & act accordingly (if it is any in the Fly app?) and that's it. Especially calibrating the compass by pure habit can get you in trouble ... never calibrate it without question the need, even when the app says so... try first take off from another place to verify that you aren't in a magnetic disturbed area. Calibrating the compass in an interfered area can get you in major trouble once up on higher altitude.

Last edited:
@caplanner its nice to see someone new taking note of whats being said on the forum ,it makes a real change ,from my drone flew away and DJI says its pilot error and then moaning about it, when people on here give advice ,its to help others and to prevent issues from spoiling their new hobby you are a great example happy flying

Good list. Keep checking the forums. There is plenty of advice and help. Enjoy your flying.

Reactions: old man mavic
Agree with Old Man Mavic. You are going about it the smart way and should have plenty of satisfying flights in your future!

I still go thru the checklist even after a bunch of flying.... doesn't hurt.

Congratulations with your first quad, Mavic Mini was a good first pick it’s perfect for the beginner.

Kings River, Is that Laton park, Kingsburg or Reedly park?

I fly near these areas, beautiful terrain lots of history here.

Congrats again,
Paul

Congratulations with your first quad, Mavic Mini was a good first pick it’s perfect for the beginner.

Kings River, Is that Laton park, Kingsburg or Reedly park?

I fly near these areas, beautiful terrain lots of history here.

Congrats again,
Paul
Thanks Paul. This time I went to Winton Park. I fly fish in that area and like the water there. Wish we had better flying weather but we do need the rain. I’ll just have to be patient.

my first couple of flights were by the San Joaquin. As you can tell, I like being around the more less frequent places but would be interested in learning where others fly. Let me know if you have recommendations.

@caplanner its nice to see someone new taking note of whats being said on the forum ,it makes a real change ,from my drone flew away and DJI says its pilot error and then moaning about it, when people on here give advice ,its to help others and to prevent issues from spoiling their new hobby you are a great example happy flying

Thank you for the kind words.

I just thought most new drone owners felt like me. Anxious and a little overwhelmed. Even you veterans had to start at the beginning. Wanted to share from another newbie that taking it “low and slow” as someone here said is the way to go.

Thank you for the kind words.

I just thought most new drone owners felt like me. Anxious and a little overwhelmed. Even you veterans had to start at the beginning. Wanted to share from another newbie that taking it “low and slow” as someone here said is the way to go.
if you had seen me flying my MPP when it was new ,you would think i had a piece of string attached to it,even though i had flown other drones many times before that, and even a phantom 3 before the mav, and apart from the PH3 ,they were a tenth of the price of the mav, and all i could think of, was will it crash, will it come back,ect,we have all been there,its great when you do finally trust your flying skills and trust your equipment ,and all the things you have to remember to do,become second nature then you really start to enjoy your hobby

Thanks Paul. This time I went to Winton Park. I fly fish in that area and like the water there. Wish we had better flying weather but we do need the rain. I’ll just have to be patient.

my first couple of flights were by the San Joaquin. As you can tell, I like being around the more less frequent places but would be interested in learning where others fly. Let me know if you have recommendations.

Winton park, that’s above Avocado Lake park. Nice area, I don’t fish there but do metal detect the avocado lake beach water area in the summer. Haven’t flown there, but my friend has with his Mavic Pro.

San Joaquin river is a great area to fly, lots of trees and water for great shots.

I mainly use my quads for research, searching for historical settlements. And Native American villages, with permission from cattle and farm owners they allow me to fly on their properties.

From the air, searching for pictographs on rock walls or rock cave entrances. You’re welcome to join me anytime, take great pictures of Native American villages including pictographs. Just east of Visalia, the terrain is beautiful.

Your Mini Mavic will do well in these areas, long flight time will captured plenty of video and pictures.

Happy flying,
Paul

Winton park, that’s above Avocado Lake park. Nice area, I don’t fish there but do metal detect the avocado lake beach water area in the summer. Haven’t flown there, but my friend has with his Mavic Pro.

San Joaquin river is a great area to fly, lots of trees and water for great shots.

I mainly use my quads for research, searching for historical settlements. And Native American villages, with permission from cattle and farm owners they allow me to fly on their properties.

From the air, searching for pictographs on rock walls or rock cave entrances. You’re welcome to join me anytime, take great pictures of Native American villages including pictographs. Just east of Visalia, the terrain is beautiful.

Your Mini Mavic will do well in these areas, long flight time will captured plenty of video and pictures.

Happy flying,
Paul

Thanks for the invitation Paul.

I would like to do that. I'll PM you.

Mark

One more thing - I downloaded the UAV Forecast app to my iphone the other day after reading about it here. It seems very useful and, if accurate, could help give me more information as it relates to wind speed at higher altitudes. I also like that it gives wind direction so that if I have that option, I can fly out into the wind and ride it back with more confidence that I won't fall short.

Reactions: Thanev
if accurate, could help give me more information as it relates to wind speed at higher altitudes.
Forecast apps cannot account for variations in your local topography etc and should only be used as a rough guide.
It's always a safe assumption that wind strength will be higher at higher altitudes.
I also like that it gives wind direction so that if I have that option, I can fly out into the wind and ride it back
It should always be a simple matter to work out wind direction from observation of trees etc and feeling the breeze on your face.

Some research on calibration will save you some time.
IMU calibration is a little more technical than a compass and was likely done in a controlled environment. I have noticed that the mini seems to mimic the Mavic air which has a somewhat touchy compass that requires more attention than I would like to contend with. There are people out there that have it in there mind compass calibration is a must every time they fly. I call that the placebo effect. Do some reading to find what suits your comfort zone.
Post number 6 is something to consider.

I have one to add,

Don't fly with less than 11 satellites connected to the AC
and always set the home point manually and verify on the map

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423