DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is "Addy mode"

David Smith

Reactions
Hi all. Simple question, from a simple bloke. My DJI mini 3 Refuses to fly any higher than roughly 5 meters. And get a repeated message saying 'Addy mode'. Well, it sounds like that to me. Or is it Atty mode ?? Probably something to do with altitude. Anyway, how do I turn that off, It does eventually let me fly higher. But that's after a couple of minutes hovering.
Thanks David.

Hi all. Simple question, from a simple bloke. My DJI mini 3 Refuses to fly any higher than roughly 5 meters. And get a repeated message saying 'Addy mode'. Well, it sounds like that to me. Or is it Atty mode ?? Probably something to do with altitude. Anyway, how do I turn that off, It does eventually let me fly higher. But that's after a couple of minutes hovering.
Thanks David.
You are hearing, "ATTI mode", Before accending, wait until you get a good GPS signal and you won't get that.

Thanks David.
Meaning no offence but how is your hearing? Deaf here.
If you have trouble making out the 'accent' of the audible warning, look at the screen, it often carries a written version of the audible warning, though the written version may disappear very quickly.

ATTI (Attitude) mode refers to a flight mode where the drone's GPS and vision positioning systems are disabled. In this mode, the drone relies solely on its internal gyroscope and barometer to maintain stable flight.

Here are the key characteristics of ATTI mode:
  1. No GPS Positioning: The drone won't automatically hold its position in the air. It will drift with the wind or other forces, and the pilot needs to manually control the drone to maintain its position.

2. Manual Control Required: Since there's no automatic stabilization from GPS, the pilot has full control over altitude, yaw, and horizontal movement. This mode requires more skill to fly as the drone can drift.

3. Increased Drift: The drone will be more affected by environmental factors like wind, requiring constant adjustments from the pilot to maintain stability.

4. Failsafe Mode: Sometimes drones switch to ATTI mode automatically if they lose a GPS signal or have sensor errors. It’s considered a backup mode in situations where GPS data is unreliable.

My DJI mini 3 Refuses to fly any higher than roughly 5 meters. And get a repeated message saying 'Addy mode'. Well, it sounds like that to me.
Here are some relevant sections of the Mini 3 manual:

1728848820961.png

1728848825784.png

You should consider reading the Mini 3 manual in full (maybe several times) so you understand how your Mini 3 is supposed to function. While DJI drones are easy to fly, the feature set is rather complex and it's easy to get yourself into trouble if you don't have a good understanding of how the drone works.

Last edited:
The drone enters ATTI mode when there is no good GPS lock (which gives you POSITIONING or 'P' mode). Advice already given by another user: wait until you hear " home point updated" before you take off... or watch the top row of icons on-screen - the little satellite icon in particular. If it's red or yellow: wait until it turns white.

Oh! and make sure you're pointing the controller antennas at the drone at all times so you're less likely to lose the control signal.

Last edited:
The drone enters ATTI mode when there is no good GPS lock (which gives you POSITIONING or 'P' mode). Advice already given by another user: wait until you hear " home point updated" before you take off... or watch the top row of icons on-screen - the little satellite icon in particular. If it's red or yellow: wait until it turns white.

Oh! and make sure you're pointing the controller antennas at the drone at all times so you're less likely to lose the control signal.

To pick nits for sake of completeness, there are 3 modes you may encounter: P-GPS, OPTI, and ATTI.

P-GPS has functional positioning control via GPS and VPS if available.

OPTI has functional positioning via VPS, while there is no GPS lock. While the drone can brake and hover and to the pilot will fly "normal", you won't know where it is if you lose sight of it.

As mentioned earlier, ATTI has no positioning functionality, and the drone won't brake and hold position when releasing the sticks.

Reactions: Zbip57
Make sure you wait for a good GPS lock before taking off. Turn it on and wait till it indicates it has at least 10 satellites and is ready to take off.

If you attempt to fly indoors you will also be in ATTI mode. Be very careful, because your drone will tend to behave erratically. Slow and careful are the watchwords for indoor flying.

If you attempt to fly indoors you will also be in ATTI mode. Be very careful, because your drone will tend to behave erratically. Slow and careful are the watchwords for indoor flying.
Only if
A) the lighting is poor and
B) perhaps if the floor pattern is inappropriate.
I fly indoors a lot and A) is the only one that had caused my drones to switch to ATTI mode. In my case B) tends to cause some drifting but limited and I do not know if worse 'patterns' can cause a switch to ATTI mode.
When A&B are suitable the drone behaves perfectly.

Reactions: okw
Without GPS the drone will rely on its Vision Positioning System (OPTI-mode) for horizontal positioning. It works great but has limits. VPS requires sufficient lighting etc, and stops working above a certain height range.

If you take off before the drone has sufficient GPS reception, no "Home Point Updated", it will rely on the VPS instead. When operating in OPTI-mode like this, DJI imposes a height restriction to prevent the drone climbing higher than the VPS operating range limit.

It's a "safety" feature, because if both GPS and VPS become inactive, then the drone is left in ATTI mode.

I posted this video a year ago, and it has recently resurfaced in other threads. I was trying to demonstrate something unrelated to this topic, but it includes a demonstration of my Mini's behaviour in ATTI-mode.

I covered the top of the Mini with tinfoil to block the GPS receiver, and used the Litchi app to also disable to Vision Position System. That leaves the drone in ATTI-mode. To watch only that bit, jump to 4:20 in this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mertyaldiz