DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is an airport?

Great thread and really appreciate the Airmap reference. Been struggling with flying near a not towered air field. It appears to have been resolved for the moment as Airmap only shows the temporary restriction of it being used by a Model R/C group. Thanks to the OP for bringing up the question. Also I must add that it seems to be in conflict with my B4UFly app.

Last edited:
I thought they were removed too, upon looking closer, AirMap just changed the shading. The blue dashed lines are still present. At least at my neighboring airport. I do hate the charge though, I am colorblind, so I can’t see the shading well now.
Then you might be in a different airspace. My Airmap completely removed all of the small heliport and many non towered airports. It probably depends on the airports traffic but the even small airport outside of town (that has a beacon, lights and fuel) does not show anything but class G in and around it however on a sectional it shows class G from the floor to 400 and class E at 700' and up. All I'm seeing is small green circles at a few airports. I'm guessing this designates an AMA field but not sure. All this is new to me so I'm just taking this all in as well.

Great thread and really appreciate the Airmap reference. Been struggling with flying near a not towered air field. It appears to have been resolved for the moment as Airmap only shows the temporary restriction of it being used by a Model R/C group. Thanks to the OP for bringing up the question. Also I must add that it seems to be in conflict with my B4UFly app.

I fly at two different airports that are held by RC groups. From my understanding these "AMA" fields have kept their exemptions for those club members. So if there is an AMA field inside a class D airport where club members fly, they as members are or have been authorized to fly at these spots. As a club member you have permission to fly there but don't have to notify the tower. That is how it's been working for our groups. Although I've been told members flying at these spot will not need to take this upcoming test, I'll still need to take it so I can fly elsewhere.

As far as the B4Ufly app, perhaps it's being upgraded. Maybe Airmap was just quicker to upgrade?

I fly at two different airports that are held by RC groups. From my understanding these "AMA" fields have kept their exemptions for those club members. So if there is an AMA field inside a class D airport where club members fly, they as members are or have been authorized to fly at these spots. As a club member you have permission to fly there but don't have to notify the tower. That is how it's been working for our groups. Although I've been told members flying at these spot will not need to take this upcoming test, I'll still need to take it so I can fly elsewhere.

As far as the B4Ufly app, perhaps it's being upgraded. Maybe Airmap was just quicker to upgrade?

They didn't seem to have any interest in having quadcopter members. Strictly for modelers. The club contact was pretty rude in his initial response to me; gave me the location of another airport about 45 mins away. The airport in question, 2B2, is just over two miles away. I did manage to break through to him and get him to drop the attitude.

Regarding B4UFly, that is the only app listed on the FAA site, fwiw. Being new to this all, it's definitely taking some research. Thanks!!!

Up here in Canuckistan the National Research Council (NRC) publishes an online interactive map for drone pilots to use to determine where and where not to fly. TC still recommends you use the official maps to determine what airspace you are in, thus what level of authorization, if any, is required to fly. Like the US we have many small non-controlled airports that are in Class G, so you are free to fly close to those but of course with an abundance of caution. I have not tried Airmap or B4Ufly, I am old school I use maps and charts.

Reactions: BigAl07
They didn't seem to have any interest in having quadcopter members. Strictly for modelers. The club contact was pretty rude in his initial response to me; gave me the location of another airport about 45 mins away. The airport in question, 2B2, is just over two miles away. I did manage to break through to him and get him to drop the attitude.
That's too bad. I do think some modelers have an attitude but our clubs are a bit different. We have a few racing drone guys (including myself) but mainly fly in a designated area away from the pattern fliers. It makes sense not to fly certain aircraft at the same time in the same space. A slow moving Mavic might become an impact point and some of the guys with high speed planes of Jets don't mix well with them very well. At one of the clubs sites we have to contend with full sized aircraft taking off and landing. Because we fly in such a close pattern it's easy to land our RC stuff and get out of the way when a full sized plane approaches to land. Staying close is required so flying something like a Mavic would get pretty boring after a few passes. JMO.

Reactions: BigAl07
Regarding B4UFly, that is the only app listed on the FAA site,
Because B4UFly was developed by the FAA. As it says on that site, the FAA has contracted with Kitty Hawk, a LAANC provider, to redo B4UFly. The current version doesn't get many good reviews. The maps on B4UFly, Airmap and DJIGo all disagree with one another. Airmap gets better reviews than B4UFly.

Reactions: Thomas B
Makes it easy to understand why people become confused!

I was thinking about the disconnect. In all fairness, I haven't tried updating the iPhone B4UFLY app. I'm not certain if that will make a difference. I'd expect the app to be internet based but perhaps not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burt12