DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is better Quality - Photo or Still grab from 4k video?

westwind77

Reactions
We are thinking of doing a family 'photo' with the drone and I was curious if using the photo feature would be best, or grabbing a still from the video would better quality? What program works the best to still a 4k grab?

The video advantage I see is that for starters I can have the remote on the ground 'hidden' from the photo that is being taken. Plus I can move frame by frame to find the perfect shot too. However, if the photo quality is going to be better/higher res I might go that route.

All thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

Reactions: leonvj
Photo much better quality! Even more so if shooting in raw.
Still grabs from video will have more noise which reduces detail significantly.

Reactions: simbaboy
As for remote been hidden:
Self timer? Or hold remote behind your bsck?

I use resolve to capture 8MP stills from video. If you have a 4K screen you could just copy screen grap to clipboard and save. But photos look much better

Set it to do a time lapse, it will then take a series of pictures and you can choose which of the RAW images you want to use and the controller needn't be anywhere in sight.

Reactions: Hi-Flyer
We are thinking of doing a family 'photo' with the drone and I was curious if using the photo feature would be best, or grabbing a still from the video would better quality? What program works the best to still a 4k grab?

The video advantage I see is that for starters I can have the remote on the ground 'hidden' from the photo that is being taken. Plus I can move frame by frame to find the perfect shot too. However, if the photo quality is going to be better/higher res I might go that route.

All thoughts are welcome! Thanks!
I've been using RAW (= DNG) in Nikon cameras for many years. Raw gives the most processing flexibility in enhancing shots.

I always shoot raw with my other cameras. I have the MPP set to that with the photos, but honestly all I have ever used is the video, and the 'round' 360 pan shot. Thank you all for the FAST feedback and answers. Looks like it will be the photo mode. I will read up on the time lapse feature as well and test that out to make sure I have it down before the photo comes.

Reactions: StevietheWorm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson