DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is GPS in the attached device used for?

dkatz42

Reactions
I've had my MP for a month or so and love it; now I'm looking at the MavMount and a tablet. I'll probably pop for an iPad mini 4 for the job. The question is whether or not I need to spend the extra $$ for the cellular-connected model in order to get the GPS receiver (I wasn't planning on using it for data).

So what is GPS on the tablet/phone used for, besides Follow Me and Find My Drone? The latter is a nice insurance policy (I've already used it after guessing wrong on altitude in a waypoint program and sticking it in a juniper bush while it flew sideways; only lost two props) but isn't a deal-breaker, and if I want it to follow me I can always use my phone. If I need data connectivity I can tether to my phone...

Thanks in advance.

So what is GPS on the tablet/phone used for
It's only used for the Follow Me flight mode and resetting the home point to your current location after taking off.

The Find My Drone feature uses data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

It's only used for the Follow Me flight mode and resetting the home point to your current location after taking off.

The Find My Drone feature uses data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.
Thanks. Find My Drone uses both the Mavic's GPS and the device's GPS so that you can see the relative positions of the drone and yourself, but I assume it will show the drone's location even if the local device doesn't have GPS; you'd just have to figure out where that is on the ground (or use a GPS-enabled device and stare at two screens.

Thanks, it sounds like it's not worth the extra $130...

Find My Drone uses both the Mavic's GPS and the device's GPS so that you can see the relative positions of the drone and yourself
Right -- you'll need to be using a mobile device with GPS in order to see your current location in any app (DJI GO, Google Maps, etc.).

If flying with a Wi-Fi only mobile device, you can tap the last recorded location on the Find My Drone map to show the coordinates for that location. Then, just fire up your favorite map app on your phone and plug in those coordinates.

Reactions: radman
My mini 4 is WiFi only. works fine for all my needs. I always turn it on before I go out to down load the map in the area I intend to fly that day, make sure there are no updates lurking to be downloaded and check thru all my settings. if I want to use the Follow Me feature etc, I would use my iPhone. Could justify the extra $$ for a GPS iPad. Also didn't like putting my phone in Airplane Mode, or having it interrupt my flying with a phone call or message.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi