DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Is The Difference Between DJI Go & DJI Go 4 Apps???

MadDogDan

Reactions
Since day one I have been using the DJI Go 4 app while flying my Mavic (using an iPhone 7+) and everything has been perfect. Absolutely zero problems, however I am curious about the difference between the two apps.

Anyone, anyone?

Since day one I have been using the DJI Go 4 app while flying my Mavic (using an iPhone 7+) and everything has been perfect. Absolutely zero problems, however I am curious about the difference between the two apps.

Anyone, anyone?
DJI Go4 is for the Mavic, spark and phantoms. DJI GO is for their other drones.

The apps are pretty much identical. The main differences are around the unique settings that each drone offers.

Which is a terrible way of helping new users figure out which app to install. Why does DJI assume that anyone looking at their apps knows the chronological release history of their drones?
Assuming that most new users are reading the Quick Start Guide in their Mavic box, it would lead them to the correct app. Here's that section of the guide:

Manual.jpg

That information is also included at the top of the Mavic manual.

Assuming that most new users are reading the Quick Start Guide in their Mavic box
That information is also included at the top of the Mavic manual.

As someone who has written a lot of end-user product documentation, I can tell you that your assumption is incorrect. Most people do not give a product's documentation more than a 1 second glance before getting to the meat of whatever product it is that they bought. And that 1 second only happens if they have to dig through papers before getting to the product in the box. I've also seen evidence suggesting that big QR codes are a major turn off to the average person, causing them to actually avoid that particular piece of paper.

Now, sure, for tech-people, drone-people, {insert any hobby here}-people, you can expect more people to read documentation. However, these groups usually represent less than 10% of total sales of a given product.

As much as the drone costs and as complicated as it is to fly and use the camera, it would be a good idea to read a lot and watch videos before even taking off. Surely a customer would read the QUICK START guide before doing anything. While the manufacturer has responsibility in producing and presenting the product, the customer has responsibility in accepting, purchasing it and going by the instructions for its use. Both the product, the drone in this case, and the app downloaded by the customer, clearly show how they match up with named products. And if one is getting into the hobby they will surely have checked on models available and know their differences and names before committing to buying one or the other. I'm not a camera person so it took me a week of reading and watching videos to understand all the options. Since the camera is a "flying camera" affected by all the drone movements it required knowing all the drone options as well. It isn't a toy. But then again, the sign in my closet says "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." ha ha

As someone who has written a lot of end-user product documentation, I can tell you that your assumption is incorrect. Most people do not give a product's documentation more than a 1 second glance before getting to the meat of whatever product it is that they bought.
If people don't care to take the time to read documentation and/or the description of apps in the app store, then there isn't much anyone can do for them. Maybe those people shouldn't be flying thousand dollar drones?

I use the DJI go app with my gimble, the DJI Osmo mobile. I wish they would make the icons look a little bit different.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21