DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is this broken or dislodged piece?

African wildlife

Reactions
Mini 2 delivered yesterday. After connecting and updating, a "Gimbal stuck" warning happened. I posted a separate thread about this. This morning, the problem somehow solved itself. A small (broken?) piece of black plastic fell out of the area where the camera is located. No more "Gimbal stuck" warning. This mystery piece must have broken before or during transportation. I was extremely careful unboxing and the drone had not been outdoors.

Can anyone please identify the broken or dislodged piece (right of photo, with a controller stick on left for size comparison). I've since flown the Mini 2 outside once seemingly with no problems. Do I need to return the drone? Can I reattach the small piece? If so, where (it isn't obvious)?

IMG_20201230_132907.jpg

Hi The Cyborg: That was also my best guess, although I can't be sure - as, logically, there might have been two tiny protruding clips (one of either side).

DanMan32: We've now identified it (thanks to someone responding to the original thread). It's a tiny bit of casing towards the lower back of the gimbal - probably with a minute manufacturing defect that caused it to come of in transport. Sadly, it won't clip back on, so everything will be returned for a replacement as it's just been unboxed.

Reactions: Thomas B
DanMan32: We've now identified it (thanks to someone responding to the original thread). It's a tiny bit of casing towards the lower back of the gimbal - probably with a minute manufacturing defect that caused it to come of in transport. Sadly, it won't clip back on, so everything will be returned for a replacement as it's just been unboxed.
Had exactly the same with my Mavic Mini after a indoor practice flight. Couldn't for the life of me find where it came from. Doesn't seem to affect performance in anyway. I've kept the piece just in case!

Adam: We've returned ours for a replacement, simply because it was new out of the box. Look at your dislodged part and see if both of the tiny side clips are there. If so, you will be able to slot it back on or up (perhaps with the help of a magnifying glass or similar, plus bright torch light). Our part only had one of the two tiny side clips, probably a manufacturing defect, which is why it had probably come off during transportation.

Will the weight discrepancy of one side of the gimbal versus the other side be a slight problem? I don't know, but our filming needs to be exact with regards to level horizons. Furthermore, some components are exposed to potential damp air. But it is a minor issue.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I spent ages trying to determine where the piece had dislodged from and could not, but I will have another look. Both side clips appear to be intact. As I pointed out there does not appear to be any malfunction as a result of the piece not being in place, but as you point out, it could lead to other problems in the future!
I see that you appear to be involved in wildlife photography? In case you haven't picked it up we live in South Africa, in the Western Cape. One of our passions is wildlife and we get away when ever we can - the Kgalagadi, Kruger National Park. We did Hwange in Zimbabwe, Chobe and the Moremi in 2018.

Thanks again.

Hi! After our previous correspondence I took out my Mini and could immediately see where the piece fitted and I was able to put it back. Thank you. I must say it is very flimsy and I can see it will be dislodged in the future.

This might help. Besides I love these videos. Or do a Google search for replacement part to get picture of the gimbal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3108
I'll confirm with my mini 2 the exact location of the mystery piece if you can post pictures of the gimbal housing? If you've flown the drone without DJI Care Refresh They might not take the drone back as you can no longer prove it was missing out of the box as the drone has been activated. You can always give it a try they are very understanding and truly amazing at customer service.

Many thanks! Problem sorted.

Adam: Apologies for the late reply. You've got a great country and I know the Western Cape very well (although we've been more based in the Northern Cape for the bulk of the past 29 years). My wife and I were working in the Kgalagadi NP during our honeymoon - and we've also trained colleagues there. Also worked in Kruger on several occasions.

Adam: Apologies for the late reply. You've got a great country and I know the Western Cape very well (although we've been more based in the Northern Cape for the bulk of the past 29 years). My wife and I were working in the Kgalagadi NP during our honeymoon - and we've also trained colleagues there. Also worked in Kruger on several occasions.
Nice chatting with you. As mentioned the piece is now safely re-installed on the Mini. I look forward to following your posts when you start using your drone for wildlife photography! Stay well and stay safe. Best wishes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111